HELP! Went to get a first fill today and didn't.....

Today I got sooooo excited! I was getting my first fill today from a Dr. that does ad's and says he takes patients banded in Mexico under Fluoro for $200/fill. I thought I had died and went to heaven and called for an immediate appt. I took some time off work today and drove about 30 minutes to his office.

I get in and they start asking me some questions and then I ask some questions... primarily around fill/unfill within a certain amount of time/days/etc. I wanted to be sure that I came back within the right time frame if things didn't feel right. The gal, I'm assuming the nurse, says to me... " Dear, you won't get a full fill today so you shouldn't need to come back." I said, "I'm sorry I don't think I understand what you mean." She repeats the same thing and "I say, hold a minute" She interrupts me and says, you will need 3-4 fills before you are at the right spot and feel restriction. I said, how often do I need to come? She explains that in another 4-6 weeks they would see me again and so on and so on.

I told her, that is not what I was interested in. I didn't need to be throwing up or unable to keep food down, that was not my goal, but it was not to come every 4-6 weeks either. She said, "I'm sorry Dear, but that is how we do things here in the states!" Omg! I felt like some "ridiculed" person that was odd for going to Mexico and as not sure why, but I felt fat, insecure and just bad. I wanted this fill so bad, but I felt like it was the worng situation, wrong people etc.

Can anyone share their thoughts on what happened? I ended up leaving and am wondering, "Did I do the right thing?" "Should I go back?" Is this really right, do I really need to have a fill every 4-6 weeks?

So, So disappointed.

Yes, this could be right.

If they're doing blind fills, you'll be returning every 6-8 weeks, as they have no way of determining how much to put in.

Even under flouro, I could understand why they'd want to do it in small baby steps - which is the responsible way to go.

They don't know anything about you, your band placement, or your eating habits. All of these things can effect the way a fill goes ..

I'm actually really surprised they said yes to touching your 'Mexican band' - i know this is a big issues for a lot of fill facilities, as they don't want to touch us. The liability is very very touchy.

Did you think you'd just need one fill? and you'd be done? ..just want to make sure I understand your scenario.

You should be happy they didn't just stuff your band full, and then send you on your way. It sounds like follow-up care is a priority (& not just a money-grab), esp when you're not there patient!

• Like 1

Hi Momof4.

SOrry it was a bad experience for you....

..but..If you take a look at some of the posters signatures on this board, you'll see they've listed three four, five, even six fills. "Restriction" is built gradually, not in one fell swoop. It might seem like a money-making ploy, to drag it out a bit this way, but really, its for your comfort and safety. You really do not want a doctor that would put 8ccs in your band on the first shot. No matter how you slice it, you'd be puking, PBing, or even unable to keep liquids down. Super awful.

You need time between fills to get used to new eating habits, allow swelling to go down, etc. I think too as you lose more weight, intrabdominal fat decreases and even fat around your stomach, making the band looser, thus possibly requiring a fill/adjustment.

Basically, 3-4 fills is the average number of fills necessary to reach restriction. The amount of CCs they put in your band varies patient by patient. We're all so different, Docs have to basically do trial and error, even under fluoro.

I may as well tell you that OCC recommends having a 'check up' under fluoro after a year and every year subsequently just to make sure things look good.

Fills are an implied cost of the band, aftercare isnt cheap but its so important.

What city is this fill office located in?

I have to spend big bucks for fills - to fly to San Diego, transport to OCC, hotel, plus fill cost for every time I get a fill, bc in my city the only doc that will take mexican banded patients charges $450 per appointment w/o fluoro, and believe it or not that is still more expensive than flying to OCC. I'd jump for joy if I found a doc that only charged $200/per.

Did you end up getting a fill with them after all?

• Like 1

I did not get the fill at that time, but was questioning my judgment. I did not expect just one fill and then I would be done. What I did expect was for something done under fluro to be somewhat realistic, meaning I've heard horror stories of folks getting 1 or 2 cc's every 4-6 weeks and nothing is felt for so long that they discouraged and frustrated. Well, no big surprise, but I've started many "diets" and been frustrated or discouraged which led to more eating. I have not gained any weight, so I'm still feeling good about my decision, but I'm ready to move on to the next step in this process. I'm in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and this Dr. didn't seemed phased at all that I had my band done in Mexico, but I truly felt as though I would get a fill now, fill in 4 weeks, and so on and so on.

I don't know that I can call back now... I mean I don't know if he would know/care, but at the same time after disucssing with him and deciding to leave, I would look silly to go back and say, "Hey I'm sorry but I was worried"

If anyone knows of a Dr. around me that does them, please let me know and thank you for your posts. I am not looking for the quick fix, but I was hoping for more than just a for sure 4 week follow up. I'm busy and this wasn't what I thought going in...

I wouldn't feel silly returning!

I think you walking away, is a good judgment call - i can see where you're coming from!

It's also very proactive of you, to come to a place to get other people's opinions and feedback.

If you're still not confident with that specific place, just keep looking around for another fill place -

I haven't good vibes off of a few different fill centres in the USA .. which is why I opted to do them here in Toronto, and pay a fortune for each fill.

Thanks Lindsay! I do want all of the advice I can get and I come here often when I'm "stuck" with a decision or a way of thinking. I invested not just my head/heart, but a lot of cash this time and I want the investment in myself to be worth it. I guess my fear of being taken advantage of was higher than my realistic plan. I need to stay the course and while I will look around at other places to avoid embarassment, I might just go back and see what happens. I just don't want them to be like.. "Hey you were here before fat girl, go home!" I know, I know wouldn't happen.. but we always fear the worst.

You all look amazing in your pictures, so I trust you've been in my shoes and I'm trying to get in yours.

Thanks so much!!!

I went to what has been coined as an "aggressive" fill doctor. My fills have all been under floura and he has consistently given me "larger" than average amounts. I say this, but I've still had 3 fills and one slight unfill since I've had surgery in March 2010.

I think you probably jumped the gun with this particular doctor. I think that you probably should have taken their word for it and not assumed they were trying to rip you off. My fills in Alaska under floura are $400 a piece so $200 is pretty reasonable.

You have to have multiple fills because otherwise you won't find a restriction that you will be satisfied with. It's not a rush thing, and trust me I've been overfilled before and it was about the worst 5 days of my life physically. I've never felt so weak and dehydrated....so really it sounds like they are willing to work with you but also to take things relatively slow.

I had full restriction after 3 fills and a slight unfill and am currently around 7cc in my 11cc band. The weight's been slow coming off but it's still coming and I still have restriction.

You have to be patient and that is one thing the band will force you to do. Be patient when you eat, be patient about finding restriction, and be patient most importantly about losing the weight. Stay the course and you will see that this thing does work. And although we all wanted an overnight miracle cure - the band isn't it - but it's an awesome tool that WILL help you achieve your goals.

If you can't find another fill doc, give this one a try again. He seems pretty reasonable, and he even took time to speak with you to address your concerns. I can totally see feeling a bit embarassed, but they probably won't remember ;)

good luck on your fill scheduling, hope it goes well. keep us updated!

as i said, i have to fly back to OCC bc even w airfare, transport, etc its cheaper than the fill doc 45 mins drive my house. he doesnt use fluoro either. im heading back to TJ this saturday for my third fill.

Wow 7cc's seems like a lot. How are you doing since then?

WOW 7cc is a ton!!!! how are you doing? I would hate to have to get an unfill at the Dr. I left... now that would be embarassing. I have seriously thought about going to that "other" dr. again just to get it started.. the longer I wait, the more depressed I'm getting that I'm not using my 'tools' to help me.

I would hate to go to the OCC and get 2 cc and be like.. OMG I should have just stayed in the states... tough decision

Momof4, I have had two fills at OCC and currently have 5ccs. I usually only feel restriction in the morning. I will continue to go to OCC for my fills as it is cheaper and I feel better letting them do it. Sounds like you found a reasonable Dr. who is taking a conservative route. TC RCR

Thanks everyone! So here is the final saga, I made an appt for a fill on Monday with this original Dr. I guess I will swallow my pride and plan for the worst so should be happy with any outcome!

Thanks everyone! So here is the final saga, I made an appt for a fill on Monday with this original Dr. I guess I will swallow my pride and plan for the worst so should be happy with any outcome!

Ok, so here is the long awaited, much anticipated update! Well I went in, thinking they would immediately call me out and say "Maam, I'm sorry, but you were here before and now you have to leave". I immediately recognized each and every one of them and thought Oh how embarassing the waiting room is full, they are going to yell at me....

Well everyone was very friendly, yes, even the Dr! I don't think they remembered a thing, and I got a 5cc fill. Not sure if that is good or bad but the one thing I thought was odd... He said he was surprised they put such a large band on me given my size.. he would have thought they would have put something smaller on me.. NOt sure what all that meant, then he said, come back in a month and we'll see how you are doing.. Not sure I like that part.

I left with that same lump in my throat kind of feeling I had the first few days after my surgery! I am only hoping this gives me some restriction.. I have to say I like the band in that I have not gained anything and I eat what I want, just can't eat as much. I've lost some, just not a ton..

I hope the next time I type to everyone I have much better news to share and am half way through to goal!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...