Replacing Bad Habits with Good Habits

I think this topic is interesting and I wanted to hear what technique you have all used to break those bad habits. When I scheduled the surgery, I was asked to quit smoking. It was hard but it got easier. I noticed that certain activities and rituals would trigger my desire to smoke. Like I loved to talk on the phone and smoke, I also loved to drive and smoke. I noticed that just by avoiding certain situations, would prevent me from wanting to light up. I also noticed that replacing one habit with another has helped tremendously. For instance, now when I get on the phone, if Im home, I go to the swing in my backyard, now instead of lighting up as soon as I get in the car, I chew on some sugar free gum. I havent had a cigarette since pre-op and have no desire to start again. Itll be 4 weeks this Sunday. I had been a smoker for about 15 years about as long as I have been addicted to food. I am thinking that this same technique might work with my food addiction as well. Now as soon as I start getting the desire to eat something I shouldnt, I go for a walk, I go for 10 min in one direction and 10 min back. Thats a 20 min walk! It doesnt feel like much of an effort and best of all, it takes my mind off of the eating. I used to always eat and watch TV, whether I was hungry or not. I have replaced this habit with drinking crystal light. This helps me with my daily intake of water too. I am an emotional eater too, whenever I face a stressful situation I immediately want to take to the pantry. I have been pretty relaxed since my surgery but I think that thinking about my triggers and planning on what I will do when I face them, should help me be more successful. I actually plan on calling my support line (we should all have one) when I face such a situation or trying different breathing techniques or yoga, which I love, when I finally encounter a difficult moment.

I think that its key to identify the triggers/rituals and coming up with some replacements will prepare us to be successful. I was wondering if you would like to share what some of your triggers/rituals are and what replacement techniques have worked for you. I have actually written a list for myself and I think this has helped me tremendously.

How to do this?

Identify habit or ritual

Plan on how to stop/modify/inhibit/replace

Have a brutally honest journal

Good luck on this journey to all!

I think this topic is interesting and I wanted to hear what technique you have all used to break those bad habits. When I scheduled the surgery, I was asked to quit smoking. It was hard but it got easier. I noticed that certain activities and rituals would trigger my desire to smoke. Like I loved to talk on the phone and smoke, I also loved to drive and smoke. I noticed that just by avoiding certain situations, would prevent me from wanting to light up. I also noticed that replacing one habit with another has helped tremendously. For instance, now when I get on the phone, if I’m home, I go to the swing in my backyard, now instead of lighting up as soon as I get in the car, I chew on some sugar free gum. I haven’t had a cigarette since pre-op and have no desire to start again. It’ll be 4 weeks this Sunday. I had been a smoker for about 15 years about as long as I have been addicted to food. I am thinking that this same technique might work with my food addiction as well. Now as soon as I start getting the desire to eat something I shouldn’t, I go for a walk, I go for 10 min in one direction and 10 min back. That’s a 20 min walk! It doesn’t feel like much of an effort and best of all, it takes my mind off of the eating. I used to always eat and watch TV, whether I was hungry or not. I have replaced this habit with drinking crystal light. This helps me with my daily intake of water too. I am an emotional eater too, whenever I face a stressful situation I immediately want to take to the pantry. I have been pretty relaxed since my surgery but I think that thinking about my triggers and planning on what I will do when I face them, should help me be more successful. I actually plan on calling my support line (we should all have one) when I face such a situation or trying different breathing techniques or yoga, which I love, when I finally encounter a difficult moment.

I think that it’s key to identify the triggers/rituals and coming up with some replacements will prepare us to be successful. I was wondering if you would like to share what some of your triggers/rituals are and what replacement techniques have worked for you. I have actually written a list for myself and I think this has helped me tremendously.

Good luck on this journey to all!

First and foremost I want to congratulate you on your successes. You are doing absolutely awesome. I have also tried to replace my sitting in front of the TV and "grazing" with going out for a walk. My dogs are loving it. We are all getting better in shape. I also am keeping my hands busy with crafts, something I have always loved doing and with the cooler weather it is easier to have them on my lap. My biggest trigger is on breaks at work - everyone in the break room is munching and I find I am starting to want to do it as well. I thought I might go for walks but as I am on my feet all day at work, sitting is a great break. Any thoughts?

This was actually a bit of a shocker for me. I did not realize how much I lived around eating. A lot like a smoker. I am having to relearn how to watch tv, play cards with family and even just hang out with people. Since I am a southern girl there is food everywhere and it is a social thing to do. It has really been hard. I put my elliptical in my living room so that when I start to get snacky while watching TV or a movie I just hop on for about 10 minutes and then I am so pumped and proud of myself that i forget about the snack or that sugar free jello looks a little better than it did 10 minutes ago. I sip on water while talking with friends or playing games too. I know there are other things but those are the largest right now.

First and foremost I want to congratulate you on your successes. You are doing absolutely awesome. I have also tried to replace my sitting in front of the TV and "grazing" with going out for a walk. My dogs are loving it. We are all getting better in shape. I also am keeping my hands busy with crafts, something I have always loved doing and with the cooler weather it is easier to have them on my lap. My biggest trigger is on breaks at work - everyone in the break room is munching and I find I am starting to want to do it as well. I thought I might go for walks but as I am on my feet all day at work, sitting is a great break. Any thoughts?

Thank you! Congrats to you too!!! I am just trying to keep motivated. I hear you about breaks at work and all the food that surrounds them. I would actually try to prepare myself with a delicious drink, be it tea, crystal light, something satisfying but not fattening and I would arm myself with a trashy magazine or a book to focus my attention on that instead of the food. I would also try to make that the time when I plan something. I have been really obsessed lately with making lists. Lists of what I'll eat, grocery shop, exercise routine, something, I would make that my "planning time". Good luck!

This was actually a bit of a shocker for me. I did not realize how much I lived around eating. A lot like a smoker. I am having to relearn how to watch tv, play cards with family and even just hang out with people. Since I am a southern girl there is food everywhere and it is a social thing to do. It has really been hard. I put my elliptical in my living room so that when I start to get snacky while watching TV or a movie I just hop on for about 10 minutes and then I am so pumped and proud of myself that i forget about the snack or that sugar free jello looks a little better than it did 10 minutes ago. I sip on water while talking with friends or playing games too. I know there are other things but those are the largest right now.

Isn't amazing how everything we do in this society is connected to food, food, food! Especially being a southern girl, I am originally from Mexico and food is also at the center of everything. I think that the elliptical idea was excellent!!! I did the same thing with my threadmill. It also doesn't need to be long, sometimes 10 min of doing something else, is enough to snap us out of it. You are doing awesome!

Isn't amazing how everything we do in this society is connected to food, food, food! Especially being a southern girl, I am originally from Mexico and food is also at the center of everything. I think that the elliptical idea was excellent!!! I did the same thing with my threadmill. It also doesn't need to be long, sometimes 10 min of doing something else, is enough to snap us out of it. You are doing awesome!

I too am a Mexican girl so I know how that goes, food food food all day long. Right now I am trying to figure out what works for me, I have no energy right now so walking is out of the question. So it is now mostly Facebook apps and avoiding everyone lol

I too am a Mexican girl so I know how that goes, food food food all day long. Right now I am trying to figure out what works for me, I have no energy right now so walking is out of the question. So it is now mostly Facebook apps and avoiding everyone lol

'are you getting enough protein and staying hydrated? I am worried about your low energy and just wanted to check in with you.

'are you getting enough protein and staying hydrated? I am worried about your low energy and just wanted to check in with you.

That may be the reason why you're being so lethargic. I know I don't feel that way. I remember in some of the documentation I received on the day of the surgery at OCC something about feeling too tired that the reason could be that you're a little dehydrated. Look through your paperwork, you may be able to find it. I always try to get my water in by setting aside my daily allotment. Also, the same documentations said we should be eating 30 grams of protein a day.

I am still on liquids and I try and drink 1 1/2 liters a day like Dr. Miranda suggested to me. I guess maybe it is that I am not getting enough protein I don't know Why I didn't even think about that (maybe cause I am so darn hungry) What sorts of liquid protein are there for me to take?

I am still on liquids and I try and drink 1 1/2 liters a day like Dr. Miranda suggested to me. I guess maybe it is that I am not getting enough protein I don't know Why I didn't even think about that (maybe cause I am so darn hungry) What sorts of liquid protein are there for me to take?

There is one called Super Whey Protein shots that have 26 g for protein per container. I got mine at Walmart. Also make sure you are taking your vitamins. All my vitamins are the gummy kind and I just sucked on them till they dissolved.

You're on full liquids right? The protein shakes like canuk98828 are good. There's also protein in yogurt and some of your soups if they have grains, like lentils. Have you tried calling Dr. Miranda for some advice? You shouldn't be feeling soo tired all the time. I hope you feel better sweety. Good luck :D

I replaced food with exercise - its just taking one habit and getting rid of it (if its bad for you) and replacing with another. I move all the time, like when you are swinging outside - I'll be dancing or doing something that keeps my body moving. I do yoga, palates, crossfit - weights - cardio and belly dancing just to name a few. It helps to curb the need for food, and cigs - and really helps you mentally. Then the side benifit is, it really helps to shape your body and helps with the skin. Another thing I do is always have lemon water around, I found I'm not always hungry - but I just didn't realize I was thirsty.

Also you can buy really good protein water that has about 40 grams of protein in it - that really helps to keep you on your game during full liquids.

Good luck!

Lisa