Healthy BMI

I am scheduled for surgery in December with a current BMI of 30. I wanted to ask those of you who have already been bonded, is a BMI of 20 a realistic goal? With my height (5'6") that would be 124 pounds. I know that for my height, 124 pounds isn't underweight or anything, but because I've been in the 170s for so long, I wonder if a healthy BMI of 20 is even possible...

I think you have to go more by how you feel and how comfortable you are in your clothes and skin. I weight 155 with a BMI of 25.6. According to that I am still overweight however I feel great, look great an have several doctors that I work with telling me i need to stop loosing weight. I also am 5 feet 6 inches so I think if I had a BMI of 20 I would look like a bone rack and probably not feel that great. Remember that muscle weighs more that fat. I have alot of muscle on me right now so I am not concerned with the BMI and don't think that it is an accurate estimate of what is healthy for us. It is a tool but their are so many other things involved. Go more by how you feel , look and how your clothes fit.

Good luck

Debbie

Thanks "RevyD"!!!!

What you say makes a lot of sense because as healthy as a BMI of 20 sounds, 124 pounds actually doesn't sound healthy for ME at all, although on someone else it may be fine.

It's good to know not to depend TOO MUCH On those numbers.

I personally do not believe in BMI - mine says at 135 that I am still borderline overweight and it says I need to be btw 119 and 124 to be considered a "healthy" weight and there is no way I will get to that weight in a healthy way. I agree i'd get to where you feel comfortable and also i'd get your body fat percentage measured. That also isn't 100 percent, but is a much better indicator