Total Unfill of Lap band .. Time schedule and what to expect from first refill.

I had to have a total unfill two weeks ago after getting a bad fill at the IL USA Fill Center. I was not able to hold any liquids down a hour after the fill on Tuesday until Friday evening. I was admitted to the ER form to get IV fluids with Potassium and IV Zofran which helped with the nausea but still did not allow me even my saliva. . The whole ordeal really messed up my GI system. Lots of nausea and vomiting and feeling awful.

My Upper GI results I just had showed that my band did not slip. Thank goodness.

I lost ten pounds that I have already gained back after eating solid food again.

I have stayed in touch with Dr So the whole time at the OCC. Dr So said to wait 4-6 weeks to let my GI tract heal... I am very scared that I will gain the weight that I have lost back during this time. I think that I am going to have to go back to the OCC for my fills since I don't trust the Fill Centers near me.. The one in Alabama is a "pain clinic" that has just started doing fills. The one in IL has a Nurse Practitioner that is nice but she does not do many fills. The one in MO only does fills once a month ..

Not many options here in the Mid South for getting fills. The Lap Band Surgeons near me will not take patients who have had surgery in Mexico...

Here is my question. Can anyone share their experience with the process of getting unfilled and then refilled? Do they have to fill it slowly or do they usually go back to where you were before your unfill.. I was at 7.5cc's in a Johnson and Johnson band before my 3rd fill

Does anyone know if RN's can get certified or if you have to be a NP or MD? We are able to access poracaths in our patients. I work at a Women's Hospital and when I was really sick and could not find anyone to unfill my band I was almost tempted to get a long huber needle and a syringe and unfill myself.. That is how desperate I was... LOL.

Thanks in advance for any shared experiences on getting your refills.... You could also email me at Dgrehder@aol.com

I know in Canada you can be trained. I know a nurse who just had the doctor show her how to find it and teach her for I think 2 sessions and now she does it. I have heard of other nurses on foroms who just do it themselves as well.

I know in Canada you can be trained. I know a nurse who just had the doctor show her how to find it and teach her for I think 2 sessions and now she does it. I have heard of other nurses on foroms who just do it themselves as well.

I just found a doctor in Nashville TN that does Fluoroscopic fills. Dr Hugh Huston. (2200 Murphy Avenue Nashville, TN 37203-1826

(615) 342-5820) Someone on the Lap Band Forum said he would take patients that were banded in Mexico.

The cost will be less than flying to San Diego and staying in a hotel etc.

I made an appointment for December the 10th . It is about 3 1/2 hours from Memphis.

Elizabeth at Dr Hustons office said I had to wait 4-6 weeks for my band to heal before getting another fill.

I will let everyone know how the fill goes as this may be a good option for those of us who live in the Mid South...

I just found a doctor in Nashville TN that does Fluoroscopic fills. Dr Hugh Huston. (2200 Murphy Avenue Nashville, TN 37203-1826

(615) 342-5820) Someone on the Lap Band Forum said he would take patients that were banded in Mexico.

The cost will be less than flying to San Diego and staying in a hotel etc.

I made an appointment for December the 10th . It is about 3 1/2 hours from Memphis.

Elizabeth at Dr Hustons office said I had to wait 4-6 weeks for my band to heal before getting another fill.

I will let everyone know how the fill goes as this may be a good option for those of us who live in the Mid South...

It sounds like they might be good. They gave you the same advice Dr. So did. Isn't it a shame that we have so much trouble finding good care here in the US?

It sounds like they might be good. They gave you the same advice Dr. So did. Isn't it a shame that we have so much trouble finding good care here in the US?

I know... I wonder if that is why they are doing more of the other surgeries at the OCC where you don't need aftercare with fills?

• 2 weeks later...

Sherri,

I go tomorrow to get my band refilled. I had a bad fill too and waited too long to get it removed. It resulted in a very inflamed pouch. The Dr. said that my band was under great pressure. He told me to wait 4-6 weeks...but I wasn't able to afford another fill. I waited 8 (as of tomorrow).

I have gained back 24 pounds. I am going to go in on an empty stomach and feel it out. I do not know how much we will put back in yet. Another thing I am going to try to do is return to a liquid diet for a week. He said that is important since it has been so long the band has probably adjusted and moved a bit so we don't want to tighten it with a fill and then go irritate it again so soon.

I will let you know tomorrow how it goes!

Sara

Sherri,

I go tomorrow to get my band refilled. I had a bad fill too and waited too long to get it removed. It resulted in a very inflamed pouch. The Dr. said that my band was under great pressure. He told me to wait 4-6 weeks...but I wasn't able to afford another fill. I waited 8 (as of tomorrow).

I have gained back 24 pounds. I am going to go in on an empty stomach and feel it out. I do not know how much we will put back in yet. Another thing I am going to try to do is return to a liquid diet for a week. He said that is important since it has been so long the band has probably adjusted and moved a bit so we don't want to tighten it with a fill and then go irritate it again so soon.

I will let you know tomorrow how it goes!

Sara

So I went to get the refill today. When I went to the DR. when I was overfilled I had 3.6cc's in a 4.0 band. He put back 2.75cc's it felt fine in the office. I had soup tonight and REALLY had to take my time. It almost feels like I was just banded again. I forgot what restriction felt like. Hopefully this is a good amount for me...but still scared that I still that I'm going to get something stuck.