Why all the sweetness?

petrafarmer

I have a major sweet tooth. I am originally from Germany and all of my family still lives in Europe. They came to visit not too long ago and my cousin said something that started me thinking. She wondered why most of our food is sweet. Think about it: sweet salad dressings, sweet meats...bbq sauce, sweet and sour chicken, coconut shrimp, etc., sweet bread with fruits and nuts, fruit in our salads, baked beans and so on.Like I said, I have a major sweet tooth and I am pretty much Americanized so I never thought it was odd. I'm going to try to cut out some of this sweet stuff. I was just curious about what the rest of you think. Do any of you come from other cultural backgrounds and have thoughts on this?

I have a major sweet tooth. I am originally from Germany and all of my family still lives in Europe. They came to visit not too long ago and my cousin said something that started me thinking. She wondered why most of our food is sweet. Think about it: sweet salad dressings, sweet meats...bbq sauce, sweet and sour chicken, coconut shrimp, etc., sweet bread with fruits and nuts, fruit in our salads, baked beans and so on.Like I said, I have a major sweet tooth and I am pretty much Americanized so I never thought it was odd. I'm going to try to cut out some of this sweet stuff. I was just curious about what the rest of you think. Do any of you come from other cultural backgrounds and have thoughts on this?

I am California born and raised but since Los Angeles is the melting pot of the world I have had many conversations with people on this subject. Europians have told me that everything in America is sweetened to American tastes, even the sweets like candy and cake. I noticed that if I go to a Europian bakery or Latin Bakery that this is true. I also noticed this is true with our version of hot chocolate. I know cigarette companies will change the flavor & tabacco blend for each type of cigarette depending on the country it is being sold in and I am wondering if food companies that sell internationally do the same thing?

I recently read an article in the Philadelphia Inquirer about obesity and poverty. Most people in poverty are obese because of the poor quality of food available to them. It specifically mentioned these drinks that come in containers that look like little barrels. They cost 25 cents and contain what amounts to colored sugar water. The moms know better than to give their young children soda so they give them these instead. The nutritionist says these drinks develop the craving for sugar in these children and a lifetime of bad habit is born. We eat way too much sugar. I've been on a sugar binge for the last week and I need to reel myself in.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!,

There are plenty of books, and websites discussing the poisioning of America by sugar. The first book I remember reading was "Sugar Blues" for those who are diabetic sugar has always been a problem. Do some research you may find out a lot and be surprised and motivated to cut out sugar!