new kid on the block

Hello,

This is my very first post here, ok very first post on any forum. I've read all of your posts on this forum and you all have been so helpful and generous with your comments. Thanks to all of you, many of my questions, you had already answered. I just had my first conversation with Dr Ortiz. He was so helpful and understanding. My GSP is set for January 28th, 2011. Now all that's left is to book my flight and fax in my pre op paperwork. Just laugh at myself.....half between excited and a case of the nerves. Somehow I think you all have been in this very spot. I look forward to your on-going comments. Thanks for beibg here for us new kids.

Hi,

Yes, this forum is great! Be sure to come back and post your experience with the surgery. A lot of people are watching this board to get information (me included). I was banded at OCC 3 years ago and the facility and doctors are wonderful. Good luck!

Lara

Hello,

This is my very first post here, ok very first post on any forum. I've read all of your posts on this forum and you all have been so helpful and generous with your comments. Thanks to all of you, many of my questions, you had already answered. I just had my first conversation with Dr Ortiz. He was so helpful and understanding. My GSP is set for January 28th, 2011. Now all that's left is to book my flight and fax in my pre op paperwork. Just laugh at myself.....half between excited and a case of the nerves. Somehow I think you all have been in this very spot. I look forward to your on-going comments. Thanks for beibg here for us new kids.

Hi Lara,

I will definately stay in touch. I don't know anyone personally how has had any type of weight loss surgery. And so far the few friends I've mentioned it too, well, they were not all that 'hip' on my choice. I got the classic 'well, just use will power, or you've lost it before, just do it again'. Hard to get them so understand, yup I have lost weight in the past using any number of weight loss plans. I've also gained that weight all back and more. For a lot time I just beat myself up over this. Now I know I am doing this for me. Not only will I loose the weight, I expect I will also improve my health too. So this forum may at times feel like my life line to people who DO understand. So thanks for the welcome. My surgery is offically booked for January 28, 2011.....flight booked, deposit made......not to lay my life out in the Health Survey.

Hi Lara,

I will definately stay in touch. I don't know anyone personally how has had any type of weight loss surgery. And so far the few friends I've mentioned it too, well, they were not all that 'hip' on my choice. I got the classic 'well, just use will power, or you've lost it before, just do it again'. Hard to get them so understand, yup I have lost weight in the past using any number of weight loss plans. I've also gained that weight all back and more. For a lot time I just beat myself up over this. Now I know I am doing this for me. Not only will I loose the weight, I expect I will also improve my health too. So this forum may at times feel like my life line to people who DO understand. So thanks for the welcome. My surgery is offically booked for January 28, 2011.....flight booked, deposit made......not to lay my life out in the Health Survey.

Totally know where you are coming from. and yes, this forum is a great life line. I was banded on 8/3/10 and have been reading this forum since about April. I really do not think I would have had the nerve to do it without this wonderful group. You will be soooo glad you made the decision. Take care and stay strong.

Hi Lara,

Hi Lara,

Now that I've completed everything.....Survey faxed off, surgery date booked, and paid deposit..........I know for sure I want this tool to help me, now I just wish I could just get it done. Between Christmas followed my a previously arranged trip, I'll need to wait until end of January, and all I want to do is get it done, now that I've decided. Can you tell me does someone contact me in a few days now that I've faxed off my Health Survey? And do I start the pre op diet now or wait till the 9 days before surgery, or does someone from the clinic contact me with more information?

Hi Lara,

Now that I've completed everything.....Survey faxed off, surgery date booked, and paid deposit..........I know for sure I want this tool to help me, now I just wish I could just get it done. Between Christmas followed my a previously arranged trip, I'll need to wait until end of January, and all I want to do is get it done, now that I've decided. Can you tell me does someone contact me in a few days now that I've faxed off my Health Survey? And do I start the pre op diet now or wait till the 9 days before surgery, or does someone from the clinic contact me with more information?

If I remember correctly, your paperwork tells you to call Dr. Miranda at a certain point in time. I do remember that you initiate most of the calls. They will call u back however if you leave a message. At any time, someone from the OCC is willing to talk to you about any questions or concerns. Best of luck

Welcome and Congrats for scheduling your surgery. Its very exciting. I had my band done though the military and live too far to drive to their support groups and my Doc said to look online. I found this website forum and LOVE it. Looking forward to hearing about your surgery next month. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Same here all the same feeling just joined today with my first post , Jan 19th my surgery mixed posts making me nervous ..But everyones different as we know . Hope my life long struggle will finally end , up down up down , Was alittle taken back having learned not FDA approved. Couple posts freaked me about not looseing weight and pain and much discomfort hope many can put me at ease Good Luck Fred

Welcome Fred,

Yes the Plication surgery is not FDA approved YET. In Cleveland there are doctor's there who are doing the Gastric Plication surgery. As I understand it, they have been doing their trial studies well past two years. You can get your get your surgery done there, but the cost are substantially more expensive. I started out thinking a lap band was the way for me to go. Then after much research, I decided I preferred not to have to worry about on going fills/un-filled. As successful as many have been with their lap band, there are also a what seem to me to be a large group who ended up having their band removed and having a Gastric Sleeve. I also considered that option too. After several informative discussion with Dr Ortiz, I realized Gastric Plication gave the weight loss of a Sleeve while leaving my stomach intact. And yes I am still excited, and nervous, and wish I could get my surgery tomorrow. I see it as a tool to help me loose and more importantly maintain my weight loss. Aren't we usually really good at loosing that weight............me too.........it's the keeping it off where my struggle lies. I see this surgery as a tool towards my long term success. This forum has been so helpful. And I will post updates after my surgery, I think it's the very least I can do to give back to all those who have taken their time to post their experiences, their helpful hints, and mostly their support. So keep your posting coming Fred. Will be thinking of your surgery date.