Inconsistency Frustration

I've had my band since 7/26/10 and have had 2 fills (both with fluoroscopy). The first was 6.0 mls and I had only noticed restriction with foods like white bread and had minimal weight loss (7 pounds in 1 month). I had a second fill a month later of 1.5 mls and I then noticed restriction. The problem I am having is that I am unsure if it is me that is chewing poorly or eating too fast but I am so inconsistent with the amount of food I can eat from day to day or hour to hour. Some days I can barely get a protein shake down before 1pm and other days I can eat several pieces of thin crust pizza or even several crunchy tacos before noticing any restriction. I have had several PBing incidences since my last fill at the end of October but I have been trying to be more observant as to how and what I am eating...still seems inconsistent. I am a woman who really has a problem with retaining water so I notice a dramatic tightness during that week of the month. I have noticed that I have often found myself avoiding solid food and going to protein shakes, etc over the last few months to help avoid any PB episodes since I am so scared to hurt my pouch...which most likely accounts for why I am only down another 20 pounds in 2 months...and stuck there. I finally have time off work to get a recheck in 2 days to see what is going on. Just thought I would throw the question out there and see if any of you have had the same experiences.

Thanks for listening. I feel like such a loser. I am a medical professional and feel like I should have a better handle on this than I do. I am certainly finding this journey much more difficult than I expected.

Christy

I've had my band since 7/26/10 and have had 2 fills (both with fluoroscopy). The first was 6.0 mls and I had only noticed restriction with foods like white bread and had minimal weight loss (7 pounds in 1 month). I had a second fill a month later of 1.5 mls and I then noticed restriction. The problem I am having is that I am unsure if it is me that is chewing poorly or eating too fast but I am so inconsistent with the amount of food I can eat from day to day or hour to hour. Some days I can barely get a protein shake down before 1pm and other days I can eat several pieces of thin crust pizza or even several crunchy tacos before noticing any restriction. I have had several PBing incidences since my last fill at the end of October but I have been trying to be more observant as to how and what I am eating...still seems inconsistent. I am a woman who really has a problem with retaining water so I notice a dramatic tightness during that week of the month. I have noticed that I have often found myself avoiding solid food and going to protein shakes, etc over the last few months to help avoid any PB episodes since I am so scared to hurt my pouch...which most likely accounts for why I am only down another 20 pounds in 2 months...and stuck there. I finally have time off work to get a recheck in 2 days to see what is going on. Just thought I would throw the question out there and see if any of you have had the same experiences.

Thanks for listening. I feel like such a loser. I am a medical professional and feel like I should have a better handle on this than I do. I am certainly finding this journey much more difficult than I expected.

Christy

Christy,

My main question would be - Okay so some days u say that you can consume several pieces of thin crust pizza or even several crunchy tacos before noticing any restriction - why would u do that? Dr So's comment to me was. Do not push to see how much u can eat but how little u can eat to feel satisfied. I beleive if I truly tried I could also consume a fair amount, as I have never had a fill but why would I want to do that when I do feel satisfied after my "approved" amount of food and then if I change up and get busy doing something else. Which as I write now, I realize I am starting to not do as consistently, thus slower weight loss - so thank you for the reminder.

Christy,

My main question would be - Okay so some days u say that you can consume several pieces of thin crust pizza or even several crunchy tacos before noticing any restriction - why would u do that? Dr So's comment to me was. Do not push to see how much u can eat but how little u can eat to feel satisfied. I beleive if I truly tried I could also consume a fair amount, as I have never had a fill but why would I want to do that when I do feel satisfied after my "approved" amount of food and then if I change up and get busy doing something else. Which as I write now, I realize I am starting to not do as consistently, thus slower weight loss - so thank you for the reminder.

I know that I "should" eat less...but what I think I was expecting was that I would have a reminder from my band that I was full earlier. I think the reason that most of us have the band is because we really didn't have that feeling of full before. Again, I am constantly trying to work on my rules, but it is just so hard when one day I am so hungry and can barely get 3 bites in without almost getting stuck and then the next day virtually feeling no restriction at all. It makes it very hard to get "satifying" meals because each meal amount is so varied. Since I often don't get a chance to eat more than a bite or two, when I do get the chance, I often take it...not saying it is right, but the inconsistency doesn't seem normal either. Just taking it day by day. Hopefully, when I get my recheck on Wednesday, they have some words of advice. I just pray my band is still ok. This has been a very rough road the last 2 months.

I understand, we all go through difficult times and its a learning process, but watch yourself so you don't do damage. One thing I'm going to point out is your restriction can vary day by day. If I'm under stress (like now) my band gets tight. If I eat something salty or with MSG, my band gets tight - if I travel (fly) my band gets tight, if I exercise hard, it gets tight (great way to get in shape and cut out food. I believe its affected by our emotions, the foods we eat and the outside envirement. I know it pretty well now so I can pretty well predict how its going to react.

But I do agree it can't do all the work, we've got to do some and treat it well.

Good luck, you'll do fine - start measuring your food, I strongly recommend cutting out pizza - its a band bender in my book.

I eat clean soft protein

veggies

fruit

carb

All cut up in small pieces in that order and I measure.

Lisa

Hello,

I agree with Lisa. Do you keep track of your food with a tracker? I not only keep track but I keep track of how I am feeling..I to have band changes under stress, with too much salt, not enough water, and that time of the month. I too have had to swear off pizza. Also, this was my first Christmas as a banded person, what a difference from previous years. I learned quick what eating too much with the band felt like and after a couple episodes of being over full (your right I never really knew what that felt like) I now know I don't want to to that if at all possible..what a terrible feeling..The lessons alone have been worth the band..the slow life changes, the new habits, the reality that yes, I HAVE to exercise..these small but powerful gifts are so worth it! If your not start keeping track of the changes. It really helps.

I saw my fill center yesterday. They were so amazing and informative. My band is still in good placement, pouch is still fine....ahhh, that felt so good to hear. They decided to take out 0.5 cc to help with the severe fluxuation and inconsistency due to stress, water retention, salt, hormones, etc. They just said that they see alot of women that have a hard time with the band since their bodies tend to be more influenced by the above mentioned issues...they think I might be one of them! They are hoping that will help so I can actually "eat" meals in the morning and at lunch so I won't be so hungry and tempted by evening to help allow me to eat slower and more rationally. I was getting very frustated because all the doctors tell you to only do solid meals and avoid drinking protein shakes and liquid calories, but when I couldn't get more than 1-2 bites of anything solid down before sometimes 1pm...it made for a very hungry girl by evening. They are actually happy with the weight loss so far. Down a total of 67 pounds from my highest weight. Soooooo....this morning after a cup of warm tea, I was actually able to EAT all three meals with very limited portions....and I feel so much better and satisfied. Living with the band has such a steep learning curve. I do agree with all of you...the band will only do so much for me, I have to do the rest. Thank you for all of your input and help.

I saw my fill center yesterday. They were so amazing and informative. My band is still in good placement, pouch is still fine....ahhh, that felt so good to hear. They decided to take out 0.5 cc to help with the severe fluxuation and inconsistency due to stress, water retention, salt, hormones, etc. They just said that they see alot of women that have a hard time with the band since their bodies tend to be more influenced by the above mentioned issues...they think I might be one of them! They are hoping that will help so I can actually "eat" meals in the morning and at lunch so I won't be so hungry and tempted by evening to help allow me to eat slower and more rationally. I was getting very frustated because all the doctors tell you to only do solid meals and avoid drinking protein shakes and liquid calories, but when I couldn't get more than 1-2 bites of anything solid down before sometimes 1pm...it made for a very hungry girl by evening. They are actually happy with the weight loss so far. Down a total of 67 pounds from my highest weight. Soooooo....this morning after a cup of warm tea, I was actually able to EAT all three meals with very limited portions....and I feel so much better and satisfied. Living with the band has such a steep learning curve. I do agree with all of you...the band will only do so much for me, I have to do the rest. Thank you for all of your input and help.

Glad you had a good appointment at your fill center and you can now eat more than a few bites.

You are so right it is a Learning Curve and our bands can only do so much for us..

Christy

Christy,

I can really relate to this post. Thank you for sharing. I was banded 2 days after you. You were probably leaving as I was coming to the OCC. I too feel like a loser at times. The issues at hand are so much more complicated than "Why would you eat more than you should?" We obviously became over weight because we have issues with food that are very difficult to get past. I understand what you were going through. I'm really happy that you are feeling better now!!!

I too can relate. I don't think it is very helpful when those of you that CAN control your intake make those of us who can't feel like losers! Yeah, I get that the band just being there has caused a change in your eating behavior, but that is not the case for some of us, so give it a break!

I understand where you are Christy. The band has not worked for me either. If I could just control my portions, I would have without the band. I guess I misunderstood what the band would do. I thought it would prevent me from overeating, control my portions for me and decrease my hunger. That has happened a little, I lost about 12 pounds, but have gained it all back since I was banded 1 year ago. I have an 11cc band and have 10.4cc in the band now. I can still eat way to much so no weight loss. I am going to go to OCC and have Dr. So take a look, but I am really disappointed in the whole thing for sure.

I too can relate. I don't think it is very helpful when those of you that CAN control your intake make those of us who can't feel like losers! Yeah, I get that the band just being there has caused a change in your eating behavior, but that is not the case for some of us, so give it a break!

I understand where you are Christy. The band has not worked for me either. If I could just control my portions, I would have without the band. I guess I misunderstood what the band would do. I thought it would prevent me from overeating, control my portions for me and decrease my hunger. That has happened a little, I lost about 12 pounds, but have gained it all back since I was banded 1 year ago. I have an 11cc band and have 10.4cc in the band now. I can still eat way to much so no weight loss. I am going to go to OCC and have Dr. So take a look, but I am really disappointed in the whole thing for sure.

I can relate too.

I sure wish I was a person who felt some kind of restriction with my Lap Band. I have been banded for 6 months and I truly feel the majority of the weight I have lost has been by my own effort. I just don't like protein and I have to force myself to eat it and then my vegetables.. Dr Acosta told me after my first fill at the OCC that I may be the kind of person that the band would not work for since I crave sweets and carbs and both go right through the Lap Band.

He said I should think about everything I was about to eat and then if it would dissolve quickly in a cup of water then I should not eat it. Things like cookies, breads, candy, chips etc never make you feel full. He said he would rather have me go out and buy an expensive steak and eat that since it would stay in the pouch longer and then I would not feel as hungry.

Hang in here .... I think there are people who the band works easier for. I wonder if the plication or gastric sleeve might have worked better for me? It seems like quite a few people who have Lap Bands have been going back to the OCC for Plication in the last few months.

I can relate too.

I sure wish I was a person who felt some kind of restriction with my Lap Band. I have been banded for 6 months and I truly feel the majority of the weight I have lost has been by my own effort. I just don't like protein and I have to force myself to eat it and then my vegetables.. Dr Acosta told me after my first fill at the OCC that I may be the kind of person that the band would not work for since I crave sweets and carbs and both go right through the Lap Band.

He said I should think about everything I was about to eat and then if it would dissolve quickly in a cup of water then I should not eat it. Things like cookies, breads, candy, chips etc never make you feel full. He said he would rather have me go out and buy an expensive steak and eat that since it would stay in the pouch longer and then I would not feel as hungry.

Hang in here .... I think there are people who the band works easier for. I wonder if the plication or gastric sleeve might have worked better for me? It seems like quite a few people who have Lap Bands have been going back to the OCC for Plication in the last few months.

OMG, I have felt so much frustration and disappointment. I have just now gotten mad enough to start really trying to cut way back on the amount I eat and what I eat. I guess for me, and I'm sure many others, the band is not a magic bullet. I really thought the band would force me to eat small meals, but that just is not the case for me. I really can eat quite a bit, still, at 10.4cc's! So, I failed big time. Not the band, but me... I have finally accepted that my journey is not like many of the other bloggers on this site. Or maybe the folks who have failed to achieve weight loss just do not write about the failure, so it seemed to me I was kind of alone. Well, I am speaking to all the failures out there in band land. You are not alone!

I don't know how successful I will be, but I am changing my approach to all this today. I am going to just keep asking myself, at every meal as I look at the food, is this the right portion size? I know what the size should be, and I need to make a very conscious and deliberate decision about the amount. Because I can still stuff in way to much if I don't CONSCIOUSLY make the decision to limit myself. Then, I really am going to try to "feel" the fullness after I eat the correct amount. I think for me, I have to force myself out of the habit I have had with food. I have to realize that being fat is my disease, just like diabetes or high blood pressure. A disease I have to be be aware of and manage. I think looking back, this was a message many bloggers sent, but I just did not really hear and internalize it.

Sherri, I just got to the point where I looked at my life and what this fat was doing to it and I said ENOUGH!! I don't want to take vacations or do physical things with my husband because of the way I feel about myself. I am embarassed to go home to Cleveland to see family and friends because I have packed on so many pounds since I saw them last (I live in Seattle now). What's that all about!! I am missing out on my life for what reason, for fat and food!! NO NO NO, I won't have this anymore! I have worked hard my whole life (I will soon be 56 years old) to scrape together enough money to be able to start doing things I have wanted to do all my working life, mostly travel. And now that I am here, this fat is keeping me from my dreams. I don't mean to be dramatic, but this is the bare naked truth...

So, I will not give up, I will not accept that this band was a failure. I am scared as hell that I will continue to fail, but I am going to just keep putting one foot in front of the other until I get what I want. There has to be some kind of habit or pattern I can develop so that I can use the band as it was intended.

Sherrie, maybe you need more fill in the band. How much fill do you have? As I said, I am really up there at 10.4cc in my 11cc band. I am going to go to OCC within the next month or so to see if everything is right with my band. I have no side effects, just does not restrict me very much. Girlfiend, this path is a little more rocky for us, but I think we can still make the climb. I wish I could do more to help you, because I really do know how it feels to fail at this. If you can, just get as mad as hell at your eating habits, instead of at yourself. I am praying for the best for both, or for all, of us!

It took me a good year for me to figure my band out.

I had very little, to NO weight loss for the first 12-15 months!

Until I completely re-vamped my lifestyle: eating & exercise.

The restriction in my band has little to do with it, as even with more restriction, it's easy (and quite possible) to cheat the band.

So maybe many of you are expecting something isn't quite there.

It took me a good year for me to figure my band out.

I had very little, to NO weight loss for the first 12-15 months!

Until I completely re-vamped my lifestyle: eating & exercise.

The restriction in my band has little to do with it, as even with more restriction, it's easy (and quite possible) to cheat the band.

So maybe many of you are expecting something isn't quite there.

Yep, that's my story too. You have dramatically lost your weight. I want that too.