3 days out from Plication

Hello All. Giving an update since my Plication surgery on Monday March 14th.

The surgery went well for me, but the recovery was a mess. I found out from my mother after the procedure that my family has a hard time metabolizing the anesthesia, so it took me longer to get away from it than most. Thus why even on Wednesday I was still throwing up bile in the morning. That said, on Tuesday I was only able to get down a few tablespoons of the tea before needing to be sick. On Wednesday, I was able to get about 20 oz on fluids down, helped out by a LOT of walking around the airports. My calves haven't felt this sore in a while!

Today, I haven't thrown up yet, though the urge is still there. I am producing a lot of saliva like when you are about to throw up, but so far so good still. I have been able to take the medicines I need to, except the Supradol, which I do not know if I should take (it has a LIST of potential bad side effects).

Overall, I am feeling WORLDS better than I did on Tuesday. Every day brings a little more comfort and less pain.

The cramps are still striking me with semi-regularity, but that are getting to not be as bad as yesterday.

Any comments from people will be appreciated!

Hi Stoney!

I'm so glad to hear you're getting better, I was concerned for you. I'm doing well so far - I was very hesitant to take any fluids initially after seeing how much trouble you had. Did you leave Wednesday as planned? I found the travel uncomfortable, the sitting on the flights didn't help the gas pain, but the walking in the airports sure did.

Looking forward to the next part of the journey and so glad I got to meet you along the way. Please keep in touch!

Wishing you well,Yolanda

Hi Yolanda,

Yes, I left on Wednesday even though Dr. Martinez was concerned about me enough to ask if I could reschedule my flights to Thursday or Friday. I left on Wednesday because I was feeling better and the barium swallows looked perfect. I guess that I just had a very hard time metabolizing the anesthesia.

Yeah, sitting on the planes was the worst. Did a LOT of walking in the airports to the point that my calves were killing me, but SO worth it. :)

Glad to hear that you made it home ok. Every day will keep getting better from here on out!

Stoney

Hi Stony,

I was so happy to see your post, then upon reading it, I'm so sorry for you that you've had to go thru this mess of a recovery.

I am planning on having the plication surgery myself at some point in the near future and I would so appreciate being able to correspond with someone about the before and after effects. I am a little bit afraid I have to say, but anxious at the same time to get started with a new life.

I will look for your posts and respond.

You are in the phase I am really worried about, 3 weeks of liquids !!!! Jeez, can I do it? I have a lot of self doubt that I must overcome.

Please take good care of yourself and good luck in your recovery.

Feather

Hi Everyone,

How horrible to have that side effect to surgery run in your family. And you're right, walking is the best cure for gas, and for a few weeks after surgery I had gas. Thank god for Gas-X, and learning that warm liquids are better than cold.

The post surgery eating plan(hate it when I call it a diet, reminds me of what I am not doing anymore.constantly going on or about to start a diet), the 3 weeks of liquid was not bad. After the initial clear liquids, yon go to drinkable yogart and protein shakes and cream soup. Those wil taste like the best stuff you've ever eaten. And three weeks is such a short time, compared to a lifetime of not losing weight. Very short term and not bad at all, even tho it sounds not all that great, II didn't really get hungry, although I have others tell me they did .................cream soup.suggest Campbell's Soup Gardennay Variety, the Wild Mushroom is delish! If you have any questions, and want to email me directly, it's

ktbaillargeon@gmail.com, I'll answer any question I can. Cheers, katie

Hi,

Glad to know that I am not the only one who had some trouble with the initial days of recovery. I had a barium swallow also because I had a lot of pain and difficulty swallowing any liquids. It's now been 11 days since my surgery and I wish that I could say that soups and proteins shakes were working for me but honestly, I can hardly stomach any of it. It all makes me feel like I wanna be sick. Any suggestions. Right now the only thing that sits well is gatorade.

Sarah

Hi Everyone,

How horrible to have that side effect to surgery run in your family. And you're right, walking is the best cure for gas, and for a few weeks after surgery I had gas. Thank god for Gas-X, and learning that warm liquids are better than cold.

The post surgery eating plan(hate it when I call it a diet, reminds me of what I am not doing anymore.constantly going on or about to start a diet), the 3 weeks of liquid was not bad. After the initial clear liquids, yon go to drinkable yogart and protein shakes and cream soup. Those wil taste like the best stuff you've ever eaten. And three weeks is such a short time, compared to a lifetime of not losing weight. Very short term and not bad at all, even tho it sounds not all that great, II didn't really get hungry, although I have others tell me they did .................cream soup.suggest Campbell's Soup Gardennay Variety, the Wild Mushroom is delish! If you have any questions, and want to email me directly, it's

ktbaillargeon@gmail.com, I'll answer any question I can. Cheers, katie

Hi Stoney!

I'm so glad to hear you're getting better, I was concerned for you. I'm doing well so far - I was very hesitant to take any fluids initially after seeing how much trouble you had. Did you leave Wednesday as planned? I found the travel uncomfortable, the sitting on the flights didn't help the gas pain, but the walking in the airports sure did.

Looking forward to the next part of the journey and so glad I got to meet you along the way. Please keep in touch!

Wishing you well,Yolanda

Hi Stoney, I was wondering what happened to you? Glad you are feeling better, a little at least. I had to stay an extra day because I was having some vomiting issues but I'm home now and feeling better. My husband was very excited when I told him about you living so close to where we got our horses. Take care and keep us posted. Sharon

Hey Sharon,

I am doing much better now! Day 1 of Week two, and the protein drinks are hitting the spot. After those first couple days of misery, I am coming back into myself. In fact, I am returning to teaching tomorrow! Wish me luck!

My main issues now are just that I feel weak and tired most of the time. I walk when I can, but it really takes it out of me.

Has anyone heard if we can have vanilla ice cream on Week 2? I want to make a Smoothie with OJ and Vanilla.

Hi,

Ice cream is not a really good idea. Try say your protein shake, vanilla or chocolate, a few ice cubes, half a sliced banana with a bit of vanilla extract. Magic Bullet or blender will make the whole thing taste like a flavored smoothie. Or some drinkable yogart or Greek yogart, ice cubes, vanilla extract or any other extract you like......with a tad bit of OJ and blend, blend, and blend. When in doubt, contact the Nurtitionist. K:)

I have had other surgeries and always have problems with throwing-up after wards. I am trying a few things this time, to see if it might help me. I am trying different protein drinks and soups now, to see which ones my body tolerates when I am not sick to my stomach. I can see where the lactose could make things even worse for people. I can tolerate it, but not as well. Once I am done experimenting with different brands I will let you know what has worked for me. I am also trying different broths, I don't really want to drink those that contain MSG. So I am using the kind that is in the boxes already prepared and adding some seasonings.

Hey Sharon,

I am doing much better now! Day 1 of Week two, and the protein drinks are hitting the spot. After those first couple days of misery, I am coming back into myself. In fact, I am returning to teaching tomorrow! Wish me luck!

My main issues now are just that I feel weak and tired most of the time. I walk when I can, but it really takes it out of me.

Has anyone heard if we can have vanilla ice cream on Week 2? I want to make a Smoothie with OJ and Vanilla.

Good to hear you are feeling better Stoney, and good luck teaching. I feel real weak as well. Yesterday I could barely move but I drank another shake and I felt a lot better. I've lost 9 lbs since the surgery. It just takes awhile for our bodies to get adjusted.

Good Luck, Sharon