Calorie Boost or Stick to Good Food

I had plication March 2nd and am down about 14 lbs since surgery, but about 8 of this came from the liquid stage of the post op diet.

I am getting in food 5 or 6 times a day and have been logging it, but am only getting in about 700 calories on avg.

I have read everything here and elsewhere that I should try and get my calories up to about 1000 per day, but not finding this easy.

Has anyone tried to use worthless calories (lemonade, hard candy, etc) to boost your daily intake with sucess?

SD

I had plication March 2nd and am down about 14 lbs since surgery, but about 8 of this came from the liquid stage of the post op diet.

I am getting in food 5 or 6 times a day and have been logging it, but am only getting in about 700 calories on avg.

I have read everything here and elsewhere that I should try and get my calories up to about 1000 per day, but not finding this easy.

Has anyone tried to use worthless calories (lemonade, hard candy, etc) to boost your daily intake with sucess?

SD

I read somewhere in the literature they gave us we should look for protein sources and eat those first. The worthless calories will start the old cycle of blood sugar going up and down and cravings. I'm so sensitive to that applesauce does it to me. There are some protein shakes out there that are 250 calories. You could use them as a snack and you'd be right up at 1000 calories.

Hope this helps,

Sharon

Hi, Fellow Plicator................here's something to consider...if you get too few calories, our body auto goes in to starve mode and store absolutely ever single thing you consume.........I eat on average 800-1000 cal per day which is what the nutritionist recommmended...............here's what I did when that expected stall happened(aka plateau which happened on every single prior diet I had used)......increased my protein intake to over 80grms/day............made sure I drank those 64oz of water/day...Each morning I put out the amount of water that I must drink, then I know where I am at any time how much more water I need to drink...............then increased my movement. For me that means walking more each day and no skipping days cause the weather is perfect...meaning for me not rainning.........................Lastly I gave up those empty calories found in hard candies, even the ones that are sugarfree.........for some reason sugarfree ckicked in my sugar carvings...............plus they were empty calories. I use to suck on them for extreme dry mouth(side effect of my meds required for a chronic condition unrelated to weight gain or loss). Now even if I loose no weight or say 1/2 a pound in a week, what is happening is I am shrinking in size even without continued huge weight loss. There must be a reason for this, I just haven't found a possible answer. Good luck kt:)

Now even if I loose no weight or say 1/2 a pound in a week, what is happening is I am shrinking in size even without continued huge weight loss. There must be a reason for this, I just haven't found a possible answer. Good luck kt:)

Fat loss vs weight loss.

Your body fat is droping, but you're maintaining (or gaining) lean muscle mass, which is what one wants for optimum fat loss.

I am 4 weeks out today and was having the same issue until last week. Just not hungry or not able to eat much to account for much calories, but a friend put me on to Greek yogurt and that has been helping me in the protein department. My loss seems to have picked up since then. I was feeling discouraged but this week I've been noticing things feeling loose and more people commenting at work that they notice a change - that has been reaffirming so I'm trying not to focus on the scale, though its hard not to :)

Good luck, we'll all get through this together!