gastric plication complications????????????

Hey everyone! There's a friend on youtube that had gastric plication about a month ago......after her surgery which she had in ohio, she had a major complication and almost died....it seems that her stomach where she was plicated actually died from lack of blood flow leaving her more with like a vsg or sleeve now. I am considering plication but now that I have seen what happened to her, im not so sure. Some people say that her doctore was in-experienced and others including my friend say that there's no way to tell who will react this way from the surgery. she says there has been a few cases where this has happened. now i also know a few friends who have had the plication done and they are doing very well. i considered myself to be a great researcher. i have been investigating this surgery and surgeons for quite sometime now and no where have i came across this type of thing happening as a potential complication. i realize that there is no long term data where gastric plication is concerned yet because of it being new. that could be the reason. i am a self pay so i have all the weight loss surgeries at my finger tips and i have never been more confused than ever! ANY THOUGHTS?????????

Hey everyone! There's a friend on youtube that had gastric plication about a month ago......after her surgery which she had in ohio, she had a major complication and almost died....it seems that her stomach where she was plicated actually died from lack of blood flow leaving her more with like a vsg or sleeve now. I am considering plication but now that I have seen what happened to her, im not so sure. Some people say that her doctore was in-experienced and others including my friend say that there's no way to tell who will react this way from the surgery. she says there has been a few cases where this has happened. now i also know a few friends who have had the plication done and they are doing very well. i considered myself to be a great researcher. i have been investigating this surgery and surgeons for quite sometime now and no where have i came across this type of thing happening as a potential complication. i realize that there is no long term data where gastric plication is concerned yet because of it being new. that could be the reason. i am a self pay so i have all the weight loss surgeries at my finger tips and i have never been more confused than ever! ANY THOUGHTS?????????

I heard of this complication after I came home from having my plication at the OCC. I know that there was a doctor here in Canada who had a patient with this complication, however, I believe the doctor had very little experience performing the procedure. I know that none of Dr. Ortiz's patients have had this problem and he has performed several hundred plications already. I am not an expert but I believe that Dr. Ortiz's suturing technique is designed to ensure that this complication does not happen. Contact the OCC and I am sure they will be happy to explain it to you.

I had my surgery on March 9th and have lost 15 pounds post-surgery. I am quite happy with the results so far.

Sarah

OMG!!!! I am really beginning to question my decision to have plication. I had found a few other posts regarding dissatisfaction with plication. Now your post has really got me worried. I don't have a date scheduled as of yet (passport hold up) but I'm wondering now if I should be doing this vs. the lapband. Or try once again on my own. The lapband has plenty of after study, but I'm not into having fills or a foreign object in my body. If only we could speak to someone who's had the plication for some time. I read another post today that stated if you'd like to be in contact with a previous plication patient from the OCC, Carolyn Williamson will pass your contact info on to one. I think I'm going to go this route as I feel myself doubting all of this now.

Good luck to you!

Feather

Honestly everyone ......... there is chance of complications during any surgery.

You get the same 'oh my god' to any of these procedures, including when I got my lapband. The more I researched 'complications' the more I freaked myself out.

I was lucky, and I've had zero issues (knock on wood), but I wouldn't panic.

You can find these scary stories about anything, esp with such easy access to the inter-web!

Lindsay is right.. any surgery has it's complications. I have the band and I love it, I also researched complications and wasnt too sure at one point, but the success rate out shined the complications and I couldn't be happier.

Hi Lindsay is so right.............any surgical procedure has risks................that's why we try and find the most expereinced surgeon to do what we need or want done. WLS is no different.....I believe I wasn't paying for the surgery as much as I was paying for the surgeon's expertise. I think I know the lady on yt and her surgeon has limited expereince with plication. If anyone doesn't feel safe and comfortable with their surgeon, then maybe it's time to look at other surgeons. I put my life in my surgeon's hands and I did ask the questions like................complications he had had with this surgery. The answer was zero, and the next questions was what complication was he aware or heard of with this surgery. My third question was why is your procedure better and zero complications. I got the answers and mostly I got information I could then go and research. I needed to feel comfortable with the surgeon I picked, and for me the more information I got, the more I was comfortable with what I was choicing to do and who I wanted to do it. The complications referred to only happen within about 48hrs post surgery, and has to do with the first row of sutures. I think this is why it is wise to stay close to the surgeon's clinic/hospital, for at least a couple of days........so if anything comes up, he's right there. That's my 2 cents worth................not puttin down anyones choice, this is just how I do things to feel comfortable with my choices...

OMG!!!! I am really beginning to question my decision to have plication. I had found a few other posts regarding dissatisfaction with plication. Now your post has really got me worried. I don't have a date scheduled as of yet (passport hold up) but I'm wondering now if I should be doing this vs. the lapband. Or try once again on my own. The lapband has plenty of after study, but I'm not into having fills or a foreign object in my body. If only we could speak to someone who's had the plication for some time. I read another post today that stated if you'd like to be in contact with a previous plication patient from the OCC, Carolyn Williamson will pass your contact info on to one. I think I'm going to go this route as I feel myself doubting all of this now.

Good luck to you!

Feather

Every surgery has potential risks and complication...........maybe you're not a plication candiate.....since you are self pay, maybe a VS or RNY or a lap band...........ask any potential surgeon what are his complication rates with each type of surgery..........somewhere on here there is a post from the doc who did that gals surgery on yt and then Dr,. Ortiz wrote a reply........see if you can find it............might give you some prespective.............know that whatever you do, you will be nervous, excited and a few other emotions...........read some posts here, where others express their pre and post surgery feelings.

It is great to do your research, but do not let the "horror stories" freak you out. There are possible complications associated with any surgery. The surgeon you are referring to in Ohio is inexperienced with the plication surgery, unlike Dr. Ortiz who has performed the procedure numerous times without complication. Just sayin...

I have been looking into plication for a while now and there are only 2 Drs that I have found in the US that does pilcation(well last year when I was reserching) Also the Dr that is in Ohio is I think the one for the FDA study that is goign on right now. They were taking applications in Jan/2011 but it was $10-12,000 of your own money to particiapate in this study. This Dr has not been doing plication long at all or many of them. I just talked ot the OCC this past week and DR. Ortiz has done 700-800 since 04/10. I am trying to get my husband on board (he has never had a weight issue or anyone in his family)

There are actually at least 5 Docs in the U.S. that do plication.

You will not find Dr. Ortiz reply to the complication thread because it got deleted, along with other posts that get deleted on this forum. I would research other forums before choosing your surgery or Doctor! I am also not to sure about the #'s they gave you. I remember calling the OCC back in February, and they said they had almost reached 200 plications. I called a month later, and they said the same thing "almost 200" WEIRD!!! Well, hopefully you can read this before Lori deletes it. Good luck to you.

I don't know how many the OCC has done...I went with the VSG sleeve revision from lapband, but I do know that the 5 days I was down there at the end of March no one had a lapband and I was the only one getting the sleeve...everyone else was getting the plication procedure done! There must have been at least 20 peeps (maybe more) over the five days getting it.

• 1 year later...

My 2 cents is this: When you are buying a procedure like this, you are mostly buying the Dr. Yes, there are complications, but the question to be asked is which Dr's, what was their experience, and what actually happened? Dr. Ortiz has a very, very low complication rate on all of his procedures. He is a world renown surgeon, and his patients seem to be satisfied. Also, what is the over all complication rate? Talk to Dr. So. He has time, and he's wonderful. I always say, if this group could be by regular set of Dr's, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Best facility I've ever seen. Anyhow, either you trust Dr. O or you don't. I do.

Lmom - the other thread was deleted because it was full of false accusations and was actually legally shut down, as were the other sites she had posted on, she was a scammer from another patient board, scaring other patients with her misinformation. When we were able to track her down, she pulled all the rest of her posts on all the other sites. We are able to track IP addresses for posters, so even though people change their names, we know who they are.....

OCC has a different technique for doing the plication that prevents those complications you are talking about, in fact, Dr. Ortiz was a lead speaker at the IFSO (International Federation Surgery for Obesity) last week in Barcelona Spain - presenting in front of the leaders in Bariatric Surgeryfrom around the world on the plication and sleeve techniques that he has pioneered! He was the ONLY surgeon invited to speak/present from Mexico.

If you want more information on how Dr. Ortiz does the Plication or Sleeve surgery differently - give us a call, speak to Dr. Ortiz directly.

You are correct, there are potential complications from any surgery! Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez work hard to look for new and better ways to perform ANY surgery. Plication results have never been better, same with Sleeve results. They don't rest just because something is good enough, they are always working to improve techniques for better outcomes and safer surgeries!

And more then anything else, get your facts straight!

By the way - the plication number is more like 500 performed at OCC! We keep quoting a number until we are officially updated, so if you called within 30 days, you would get the same # performed! Its probably more then the 500 now, but I haven't gotten my update yet :)

• 2 months later...

I have had the Gastric Plication operation at OCC on April 19/12 and I am writhing this on July 3 /12 and I am telling you that I have never had not one moment of regret except that I can't eat what I would like to eat, or that my mind tells me I want to eat. I have had no discomfort except when I try and eat to much, I have lost to date 52 pounds and feel great. I would recomend this procedure to anyone looking to lose wieght, there was no discomfort from the first day, the day after surgery I walked for 3 hours around the San Diego Zoo .I would also recmoned Dr Ortez and his team and there facility at OCC as highly qualified and kind people to deal with , you feel like a friend after being in there care.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys!

In my experience, I had the plication on July 1st 2011 (a year and a few days ago) and I should say, that if I have to do it again, I will do it without even thinking about it. I had my surgery on the Dominican Republic (Hospiten) and I'm thrilled with my results. I went from size 22 to size 7, so far I've lost 65 pounds, I know that it's not too much but I'm very happy with the way I look now. I am healthier. Before the surgery I was having issues with high blood pressure, that's my PAST!

If you're considering a plication, you should know, that like in any other surgery there might be some complications, it's a non-natural procedure, you are making some adjustments to your body, stomach, the risks are really really low. Go for it and you won't regret!

P.S. My recovery was incredibly fast, no pain.

• 4 weeks later...

Check out sleeve plication talk and look for the thread by "manwithkids". His wife had plication done at the occ and almost died from stomach necrosis months later.

I saw that. I hope she's recovering. My heart goes out to her and her family. He also had the plication done at the same time... as far as I can tell, he is complication free.

Of course even with the best doctors, with the best care, at the best facilities, there is always a chance of complications.

I wonder if he ever posts here on this forum?