Plication WITH lap band

I've been trying to decide between the band and plication. To that end I've been doing a lot of research. I've been leaning towards the band because there seems to be so many people disappointed with their weight loss with plication. During my research I'm finding that MANY doctors recommend having the plication WITH a band. I haven't read anything like that in this forum. Do they do this at OCC? What do people with plication think about this?

I've been trying to decide between the band and plication. To that end I've been doing a lot of research. I've been leaning towards the band because there seems to be so many people disappointed with their weight loss with plication. During my research I'm finding that MANY doctors recommend having the plication WITH a band. I haven't read anything like that in this forum. Do they do this at OCC? What do people with plication think about this?

Hi There,

I have never heard of doing a plication with a band. I feel that the OCC is cutting edge with their technology and research so I am very curious now as to where you found the data that recommends both. If you would provide me with it I would be very appreciative, as I too am confused about which surgery to have to yield the greatest results.

I am planning to call the OCC and set up an appointment with Dr Ortiz for a phone conference in which I will ask my many questions, now including this one about plication WITH band.

It seems like so much stress to put on the stomach for it to be one procedure, and I certainly can't imagine having to have 2 surgeries. The beauty in the plication is being able to avoid the fills of the band. I'm not understanding the need for plication if one chooses the band, makes no sense to me.

Anyhow, thank you for posting this, I'm really interested in hearing more about it now.

Best of luck with your choice,

Feather

I don't think that there would be any reason to do both. Choose one or the other. I went with plication because there was nowhere here in Ontario where I could get fills if I had lap-band surgery in Mexico. Having said that, I am two months out and down 17 pounds. I lost 12 pounds in a about 3 weeks and have only lost 5 pounds since. They say that I would have such restriction that you could only consume half a cup of food at a sitting. I have not found that to be true for me. I certainly do eat less but you have to be very committed to making the right choices and not eating mindlessly. I've been stressed with work, moving, and an up-coming law-suit so it has been difficult to stay focused. It is not a magic pill and the OCC doesn't claim it is. From what I've heard, when a lap-band is properly filled, a person can have an easier time preventing themselves from over-eating than with plication. Think about it and make your choice based on your lifestyle and research. I think this can be a great life-changing experience-if you are willing to commit. I am saying this more to myself than to you. I look forward to taking my own advice when my life is a little more settled.

Best of luck

S

• 2 weeks later...

I had the lap band and plication surgery done on February 14, 2011. My doctor suggested and thought that I would benefit more with having it done this way. I have lost 37 lbs so far with NO fills. I haven't had any complications at all and I feel better than I have ever felt. I am right on target losing 1-2 lbs a week and that's without them filling my band. Good Luck!!

I had the lap band and plication surgery done on February 14, 2011. My doctor suggested and thought that I would benefit more with having it done this way. I have lost 37 lbs so far with NO fills. I haven't had any complications at all and I feel better than I have ever felt. I am right on target losing 1-2 lbs a week and that's without them filling my band. Good Luck!!

Who is your doctor?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not an OCC patient, but have recently heard of the band with plication procedure. It's been in clinical studies for approx 3 yrs in the US and has been done in other countries since 2006. It has been catching on more in the last six months. A physician told me the biggest risk was bleeding complications from removing the blood supply to the outer stomach's edge before it was folded in and stitched. If the stitches came loose, the stomach regained its shape below the band. The advantage is that the band alone helps to lose about 30-40% of excess weight at 1-2 lbs a week average, and the band with plication loss is more comparable to the vertical sleeve without having part of the stomach removed. The weight comes off faster with an average of 40-55% of excess weight loss. The usual disclaimer that the weight loss is very individual and depends on the patient's commitment to lifestyle changes in eating habits, food choices, drinking water, and exercising. The two seem to be more effective together for long term success.

Interesting. I have a band that is failing - due to stretched pouch and am having it removed and the plication done. Now I wonder if I should just leave the band in place. It doesn't bother me at all...I'll call the doc today and see what he says.

Thanks for the info.

DonnaC in Seattle