Question of the Day: Expectations on Pre-Op Weight loss

Hi Folks,

Thought I would see if I could start a new topic each day and get this board rolling. These questions are to both pre- and post op folks - and don't have to be limited to plication folks.

Todays Question: Pre-Op Diet - expectations and results.

In reviewing the options, does anyone have a comment on which of the pre-op methods for diet seem to be working the best? If so why? Anyone change in mid stream?

I am starting the option 2 - which is shake twice a day and a small meal once a day with unlimited green veggies and salads. I went with this one as I wanted the bulk that the greens would give me as well as the fiber.

I debated the option 3 - Adkins induction - but have found that I miss the greens too much to be a good camper on that one.

As for expectations - I was told to lose 5lbs before surgery - which should be pretty easy to do on this diet. My expectation is that I will lose a bit more - but the important part I think besides the diet is to limit the fat intake so that the liver can shrink.

Anyone else?

Thanks

Donna

3/2003 lapband

310/145/210 moving to Plication 7/1/2011 with Dr. Ortiez

You can definitely have greens during the induction. Just NO carbs.

(ie no fruit, or sugar veggies)

just GREENS.

If you're only losing 5lbs for surgery, chances are if you cut carbs for even 2 days, you'll see a shift in the scale.

That's water weight, really!

I wouldn't get too into the pre-op diet -- don't make it more complicated than it needs to be.

As long as you're doing a low carb, high protein/high fat diet, you'll drop weight.

Limiting your fat intake will not decrease the size of your liver.

Your body will need fats for energy if you're going very low carb. Proteins alone will not provide you with enough fuel.

I do the plan 2 as well. My daughter and I both started she is down 8 lbs and I am down 14 now. We both have colds (surgery in 10 days) and hope we are feeling better before surgery. With this cold all I want to do is eat...that is the hard part not NEEDING food but WANTING food!!!

I have had no issues with the pre-op diet but my daughter is hypoglycemic and has PCOD and she is having a pretty tough time. Last week one day at work, she began to shake so bad and sweat from her blood sugar going low that she almost passed out. A co-worker fortunately helped her to sit down (she was so confused from the low blood sugar she couldn't even focus to sit down) and gave her some food to eat. She took about 30 minutes to recover but then immediately felt horrible for breaking the diet. She works at a Chick-Fil-A so they gave her some chicken to eat. I told her that if she doesn't take care of her health FIRST there will be no surgery. It's hard for me to see her struggle to try to lose the 13 lbs before surgery and for it to go so slowly.

Hi Folks,

Thought I would see if I could start a new topic each day and get this board rolling. These questions are to both pre- and post op folks - and don't have to be limited to plication folks.

Todays Question: Pre-Op Diet - expectations and results.

In reviewing the options, does anyone have a comment on which of the pre-op methods for diet seem to be working the best? If so why? Anyone change in mid stream?

I am starting the option 2 - which is shake twice a day and a small meal once a day with unlimited green veggies and salads. I went with this one as I wanted the bulk that the greens would give me as well as the fiber.

I debated the option 3 - Adkins induction - but have found that I miss the greens too much to be a good camper on that one.

As for expectations - I was told to lose 5lbs before surgery - which should be pretty easy to do on this diet. My expectation is that I will lose a bit more - but the important part I think besides the diet is to limit the fat intake so that the liver can shrink.

Anyone else?

Thanks

Donna

3/2003 lapband

310/145/210 moving to Plication 7/1/2011 with Dr. Ortiez

Hi Donna! Good to "see" you here! I'm doing the #2 diet as well and I'm STARVING. When I do eat though, I get full on smaller portions, but then I get hungry. I drink tons of water, and I take the fiber pills which help somewhat. I'm down about 10 lbs and have two more (at least) to go. My surgery is a week from today!! I'm hoping the hunger goes away after the surgery.