Planning surgery in March and have many questions

Hello All,

I have been reading many of the posts on here and so many are helpful in answering alot of my questions. I am plannin my surgery for March 2012 (have to wait that long so my bank account agrees with my decision lol). I am at my heaviest I have ever been and a bit afraid of the whole process but greatly looking forward to finally getting control over this deamon!

I started out thinking I would do the lapband. However, the more I read and researched the more I am convinced that the Sleeve is a better fit for me. The whole deal of having to have fills and what I have heard from a few different people did not give me warm fuzzies. So my decision is for the gastric sleeve. I am excited about my plan and thankfully have a very supportive husband.

Have any of you found that after you lost a substantial amount of weight 100#'s or more that you have had to go have nips and tucks to get the excess skin gone?

What was your pre-op diet?

How long was your recovery after you had the surgery?

soo many questions! and yet im still 6 months out.. But time will go by fast im sure and it will be here before I know it. :0)

Thank you for your posts its helping a bit to see what I can expect.

Hi there,

I had the band done in Feb of 2008. I have lost almost 100 pounds.

My pre op diet was 2 slim fast shakes and a lean cuisine for dinner for 10 days before my surgery. But Miranda will let you know what your pre op diet options are.

My recovery was very easy. I was tired the first day after, but was fine after that. I went back to work a week after my surgery.

I just had a tummy tuck and breast lift done, I do still have loose skin on my thighs and arms

This journey has been the best decision I could have made for myself. I have been over weight and dieting my whole life.

This is definitely a lifestyle change. You have to work with it, making good food choices and exercise regularly.

I'm sure your time will be here before you know it. I'm very excited for you. Everyone at OCC is wonderful :)

• Like 1

Hi there,

I had the band done in Feb of 2008. I have lost almost 100 pounds.

My pre op diet was 2 slim fast shakes and a lean cuisine for dinner for 10 days before my surgery. But Miranda will let you know what your pre op diet options are.

My recovery was very easy. I was tired the first day after, but was fine after that. I went back to work a week after my surgery.

I just had a tummy tuck and breast lift done, I do still have loose skin on my thighs and arms

This journey has been the best decision I could have made for myself. I have been over weight and dieting my whole life.

This is definitely a lifestyle change. You have to work with it, making good food choices and exercise regularly.

I'm sure your time will be here before you know it. I'm very excited for you. Everyone at OCC is wonderful :)

Thank you Cavrona. its nice to be able to talk to people who have been through it already and are succeeding!

Hi and welcome,

March is my favorite month! I had my band done March 2009 and have lost 60 pounds...I too feel it is the best thing I have ever done. I am still learning..each fill is like learning new habits afterword. Sometimes you forget and eat something that quickly reminds you NO..like for me rice...hahaha. Anyway, the new habits are great once you figure them out..like you can no longer stuff feelings down with food and instead have to face them. I feel so much better then I have before...Starting to develop flab skin, and this too is another learning moment as I work toward goal and consider surgery. Either way I feel like I am living again and I am with a new and better life. Good luck! Everyone at the OCC is wonderful..My daughter had her surgery first that's what made me decide to go for it..wonderful place great staff and I love all the Dr's.

Michele

I guess my biggest fear is having the surgery and still failing at loosing the weight. Those of you that have had the sleeve what do you find that you can and cant eat? I hear that alot of people with the lapband there are many things they cant eat.

Shell, everyone is different. My daughter and I had the sleeve done the same day, she can't eat most meats, I can. I loved milk but can no longer drink more than about a fourth of a cup, she hated it and now loves it. She does better with nuts, beans, and cheese, I do better with meat and a few veggies. It was by far the best decision we have ever made we both feel better and are getting more active everyday.

Surgery was June 10th she is down 72lbs I am down 62lbs.

Shell, everyone is different. My daughter and I had the sleeve done the same day, she can't eat most meats, I can. I loved milk but can no longer drink more than about a fourth of a cup, she hated it and now loves it. She does better with nuts, beans, and cheese, I do better with meat and a few veggies. It was by far the best decision we have ever made we both feel better and are getting more active everyday.

Surgery was June 10th she is down 72lbs I am down 62lbs.

Christi, Michelle and Laurie,

Thank you so much for all your input! Im very excited about my surgery and learning more as I read all of your posts that indeed this is a tool not a magic bullet to shed the pounds. Funny thing is the more that I think about the surgery and things that I will have to change, new habits I will have to form the more I think about what I am putting in my mouth.. I found myself last night getting irritaited with my husband for eating the rest of the snack mix ( you know the kind with nuts and raisens and M&M's) fortunately my husband is built very well so he does not have to worry about weight or what he eats (bugger!!!!!!) :rolleyes: afterwards I thought... well lets think about this for a minute... he just did me a favor! Now... I cant eat it... and I dont have to worry about it calling me from the cupboard! YEAH!!! With some of this new thought process I have lost 4 lbs... YEAH!

Thank you again for all of you being so forthcoming with your thoughts, advise and very personal struggle with your weight. I am fearful of facing the things that I have "stuffed" wih food. But am grateful to know that I have a place to type my thoughts and never ending questions and there are people who have faced the same things on the other end willing to share their accomplishments with me and how they reached them.

Shelley

I started blogging to get my feelings out. I find that when I do that the emotional part of eating is better. I still have a long way to go to break down years of struggle but with the surgery and writing it is helping me get where I need to be. Be sure to set up a strong support system for after. There will be days when you wonder why you did this...those are the days that I am the most grateful. The days when all goes wrong and all you want to do is eat with blinders on to stop feeling pain, fear, frustration or what ever the topic of the day is, THAT is when the surgery is most important, literally you can't stuff your feelings anymore. Good luck to you, I am so happy every time I read about someone planning to get this done, the excitement of turning your life around!! I still want to pinch myself every time I think about where I was and where I am...only now when I pinch my fingers are much closer together. : )

I started blogging to get my feelings out. I find that when I do that the emotional part of eating is better. I still have a long way to go to break down years of struggle but with the surgery and writing it is helping me get where I need to be. Be sure to set up a strong support system for after. There will be days when you wonder why you did this...those are the days that I am the most grateful. The days when all goes wrong and all you want to do is eat with blinders on to stop feeling pain, fear, frustration or what ever the topic of the day is, THAT is when the surgery is most important, literally you can't stuff your feelings anymore. Good luck to you, I am so happy every time I read about someone planning to get this done, the excitement of turning your life around!! I still want to pinch myself every time I think about where I was and where I am...only now when I pinch my fingers are much closer together. : )

Thank you Laurie!

I read your blog... I think you maybe right. i might have to try writing it all out as well. I have to say you look beautiful!! keep on doing what your doing!! its really awesome to see the changes in everyone! Cant wait to be able to see the same changes in myself.

• 1 month later...

YEAH!! I booked my surgery for March 19th..

• 2 months later...

My starting weight was 246 at 5'4" lost almost 15 pounds on pre-op diet. Had my sleeve surgery in Oct. 2011. Best decision I could have made. I had multiple medical conditions due to my obesity. High cholesterol, high blood pressure and type II diabetes had to use large doses of insulin to control. Also developed non-alcoholic fatty liver disease several months before surgery. Now ecerything is back to normal except the diabetes. I no longer have to use insulin though, just taking oral meds.

After surgery I was up and walking in about 30 minutes. Had some really severe reflux/heartburn, kept me up all night. Was given a simethicone gel that was very effective.

I have more energy now than I have had in years. I had so little energy I use to be need to sleep all the time, up to 18 hours per day on weekends. 2 hour naps after work everyday, then at least 8 hours of sleep at night. Now no more naps and not able to sleep during the day on weekends. Get up by 5 a.m. every morning and go to the gym for about an hour, then to work. I can hardly believe the difference.

I was very careful to follow diet restrictions as directed for first 21 days post-op. I can now eat anything, just not very much of it. For example Smart Choice frozen entrees have a ravioli dish that has 6 raviolis, I have yet to be able to finish in one sitting. I have yet to feel hungry, I was always hungry before, due partly to the large amounts of insulin needed to control my sugar.

Have lost a total of 73 pounds in less than 4 months.

Recovery was unremarkable, had some nausea when I started eating solid food again. I have to be very conscious not to drink during a meal, this was a hard habit for me to break. It makes me have stuff bubbling into my mouth and has made me vomit several times.

Appears I will probably need some surgery to remove excess skin on tummy and neck, not sure about other areas yet.

I think you could not choose a more professional facility. They are very caring and concerned about your well-being. I was most impressed and I am a healthcare professional that works in a hospital. I trust Dr. Ortiz without reservation.

So good luck with your surgery and prepare to enjoy the changes you will experience.