How is everyone doing with their sleeve?

• 2 weeks later...

I can finally respond and say I am Sleeved! Yahoio. I have to say that Monday after surgery - I had to ask several times if they had done the surgery as I felt so good. It really didn't sink in until Thursday when I got my leak test and saw the little shrimp stomach - that in fact I was sleeved. Boy these guys are great.

So far no hunger. I have been drinking and doing the clear soup until Friday and then did some drinkable yogurt - which went down great but did give me a bit of loose poop...but that was actually welcome as I had the opposite problem after surgery.

I was up and walking same day with a smile on my face and happiness. No hunger, no pain, just a bit of gas and some reference gas in my lower back. I took to walking alot every day - the weather was wonderful.

Decided to keep my drain an extra day - got it ouit on Friday and boy that was an experience - but sure did feel better afterwards.

Keep your fingers crossed, good thoughts coming , and I am at day 7 with a song in my heart!

Donna

• 2 weeks later...

Donna, So glad to hear you're doing well! I took your advice on OH and booked my VSG surgery w/ Dr. Ortiz for 11/15! I'm going down by myself. Any words of advice? Also, did you do the full 3 weeks of liquids pre-op? Only liquids, or the liquids during the day and light supper at night?

Hi Everyone,

I had my sleeve done on 9/13 and so far I'm down 40 pounds....and feeling great!I'm so happy that I made the decision to go with Dr. Ortiz as my doctor.

Only 92 pounds left to go....till I cross that finish line.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had my surgery 8/1/2011

I've lost 54 pounds post op.

I lost 21 lbs on the pre-op diet.

So total 75 pounds gone!

After I reached about 165 pounds (I'm 5'4" female) I had to really buckle down and pay attention to what/how much/how often I was eating. I had to really start excersizing. Now I run 2 miles a day and lift weights for half an hour a day. I tend to eat more than I should, probably 1000 to 1200 calories a day and I'm still losing a pound a week.

I want to lose another 23 pounds but that may be unrealistic. Dr. Miranda set a goal of 149 for me. So only 9 lbs to go.

If I could go back to the beginning?....I would follow the initial post surgery plan a lot closer, I would have avoided things like mashed potatoes,chips and wine for a lot longer....probably until the 4-6 month if life permitted or really tried to keep my lifestyle in check. The added calories play a big part in the speed of weight loss.

I would have most definately started a DAILY excersize routine. Probably not much at first, just 20 to 30 minutes a day on the treadmill or something like that. But I know now that doing it DAILY is the key. Not how much or how far. You mind is a big tool. If you do it daily, it will be just like getting your morning coffee....you wont forget and you wont feel right until you do! I have learned this the last 6 weeks. This is really the big boost to get me to my goal.

I am now planning to pay for my daughter to get the VSG. She and I are both excited. Now that she sees exactly how it works and exactly how you work it....she is ready.

Donna

I'm almost 3 yrs. out from sleeve surgery and i'm very disappointed with it. I weighed 286 the day of surgery, dropped down to 140 lbs. and now I weigh 200 lbs. again. I regret having this procedure as there was no long term data available at the time and I had NO CLUE I could gain THIS MUCH weight back, THIS FAST! For the past year, i've been able to eat as much as I did BEFORE my sleeve surgery which is why i've gained so much weight. I did everything I was supposed to do post-op so I don't understand how my sleeve has failed me. I have an appointment w/my surgeon on Monday to see what can be done. I can't afford to have revision surgery because i'm STILL paying for the original surgery and will be for the next 10 yrs. and my insurance won't pay because my BMI is too low. I have severe health problems that SHOULD justify them paying for it, but it doesn't. My BMI has to be 35 and it's only 31.6.. At the rate i'm going, i'm sure it'll be up to the required 35 soon...lol! But then i'm sure there would be some other reason they wouldn't pay for it. Please pray for me as i'm very upset and feel let down and really don't like writing out that check every month to "GAIN" weight. I'm so glad i've found this board and hope I can get some support from it.

I'm almost 3 yrs. out from sleeve surgery and i'm very disappointed with it. I weighed 286 the day of surgery, dropped down to 140 lbs. and now I weigh 200 lbs. again. I regret having this procedure as there was no long term data available at the time and I had NO CLUE I could gain THIS MUCH weight back, THIS FAST! For the past year, i've been able to eat as much as I did BEFORE my sleeve surgery which is why i've gained so much weight. I did everything I was supposed to do post-op so I don't understand how my sleeve has failed me. I have an appointment w/my surgeon on Monday to see what can be done. I can't afford to have revision surgery because i'm STILL paying for the original surgery and will be for the next 10 yrs. and my insurance won't pay because my BMI is too low. I have severe health problems that SHOULD justify them paying for it, but it doesn't. My BMI has to be 35 and it's only 31.6.. At the rate i'm going, i'm sure it'll be up to the required 35 soon...lol! But then i'm sure there would be some other reason they wouldn't pay for it. Please pray for me as i'm very upset and feel let down and really don't like writing out that check every month to "GAIN" weight. I'm so glad i've found this board and hope I can get some support from it.

I am curious as to if you do a food journal and also how much refined and process food do you eat? I just read a very eye opening book called the perfect 10 deit that talk alot about how processed food effectes our body and hormones. As hormones control a large porton of our bodies having to deal with weight gain/loss, hormones control our insulin levels and hunger levels.

I HATE my sleeve!! I got a lapband placed by Dr. Ortiz in 2007. It took me 3 fills to get to my sweet spot. I had to drive 6 hours for a fill, so very glad he got it right fast. I lost 125 pounds. I had my gallbladder out in 2009 and they discovered cancer in it. During one hospitalization for an infection I needed an NG tube and had to have my band unfilled. After my chemo and radiation were done I tried to get back to my sweet spot. I spent 2 years and visited 4 fill doctors, including Dr. So at OCC. I had many fills and unfills. I regained 60 pounds!! Eventually I developed a leak in my port or tubing. I debated whether to have my band fixed or get a sleeve. I decided on the sleeve so I would be done and not have to keep getting adjustments.

Got my sleeve at OCC last September. I had NO restriction. I could eat all I wanted of any foods. So after a month or so I went back to OCC to have the sleeve tightened, or whatever they did. For about a week I was limited in what I could comfortably eat. But I was only satisfied for an hour or so. I am always hungry (and I don't mean head hunger). I am back to being able to eat as much of any food as I want to. I have

not lost one pound! My treadmill and my small amount of will power is all that is keeping from gaining more weight!

I would never recommend the sleeve. I LOVED my band when it was adjusted properly. I wish I had had Dr. Ortiz fix my band, even if it took me months to try to get the proper fill, and many 6 hour drives for my fills.

I had my surgery Oct 31 2011...its FEb 4 2012. I started at 216 pounds. I now wiegh 162 pounds...54 pounds down....27 more pounds to go! I admit I am really struggeling with eating. I dont eat much, I have no cravings at all! I definetly cannot eat a whole meal and mostly find myself snaking on chips, crackers, popcorn, yogurt and cottage cheese because my stomach can handle those foods. I have a hard time with chicken and meat in general so i do still drink shakes to get protien. I have to be picky on fluids as well because my stomach cannot handle concentrated fruit juices...i like Ice tea. I no longer can eat spicey food or drink alcohol because it burns my stomach and is uncomfortable. I can eat very little and am full fast. I do get the acid reflux quite often which sucks.

I have been reading this forum for a while and on other sites and it appears everyone is different. Some have issues and some do not. As for trying to eat healthy its not that I dont want too but I find that i just cant eat most things...i go for things I know i can eat and get whatever calories i can because I am losing the wieght steadily and without work. I have more energy now then i have in the last few months because I couldnt get much in me. Literally throwing up food as soon as it went down. I still dont have the energy to be bothered with working out but i so am wanting to tone. I am taking vitamins but find i forget a lot..

My next hurdle once i get to my goal is maintaining that wieght and not to continue to lose ! I never imagined i would ever have that to worry about! With all the eating issues I have its great to get into my skinny clothes only to find out they are now big on me.

• Like 1

I'm losing confidence in my surgery daily. I had sleeve surgery on January 31,12. When I left Mexico 5 days later I was 7 pounds heavier than I was when I arrived. Dr Ortiz's office assured me it was just water retention. It has been 9 days and I couldn't be more miserable. I never want to see a cup of of warm chicken water again. I have loss the water weight I retained after surgery and a whooping 2 pounds. Woo who. I thought I would have this huge loss up front to keep my spirits up. So far nada. I feel terrible and can't help wondering what in the world was I thinking. I would love to hear that somewhat else struggled like this right after their surgery but within a few weeks everything turned around and they couldn't be happier. Can someone say that please!!!!!

I'm losing confidence in my surgery daily. I had sleeve surgery on January 31,12. When I left Mexico 5 days later I was 7 pounds heavier than I was when I arrived. Dr Ortiz's office assured me it was just water retention. It has been 9 days and I couldn't be more miserable. I never want to see a cup of of warm chicken water again. I have loss the water weight I retained after surgery and a whooping 2 pounds. Woo who. I thought I would have this huge loss up front to keep my spirits up. So far nada. I feel terrible and can't help wondering what in the world was I thinking. I would love to hear that somewhat else struggled like this right after their surgery but within a few weeks everything turned around and they couldn't be happier. Can someone say that please!!!!!

It's only been 9 days!

You need to keep up with the post op diet ... If food choices are a big deal for you, you need to remember that you won't be eating the same way that you did before. This was all explained prior to the surgery, from Dr Miranda.

You're exercising right?

I can go up and down 6lbs over night due to water retention, so stay OFF THE SCALE, and go with 5 or 6 point body measurements. The scale isn't always going to tell you what you need to know.

• Like 1