When we start thinking about the decision to have a bariatric surgery we are all about the research, wanting to glean every piece of info on how others have done, reading, holding on to the stories, trying to place ourselves there often unable to visualize ourselves with the same degree of success. Shortly after surgery many of us post either to share or ask the occasional question but then by in large we drop off.

Why? Well I believe that we are all out there just living our lives. The drastic difference from our weight challenged bodies to our post surgical new stature allows us to begin living our lives again. We get so busy enjoying our new lives that we seldom come back to post and few of us have questions past the first few weeks post op.

I just want to remind those of you that do read this that part of what we owe back is to come periodically and post...post for those that are scared, post for those that are uncertain about the whole traveling out of their home country to seek help, post for encouragement, post for the doctors that have given of themselves to give you this new chance at life, and post for yourself. Often in writing down our thoughts, our hopes, our dreams we are given the opportunity to view our lives differently.

Something got you to where you are or were on your obesity journey and without being sure to address those triggers we can one day slip back into them. By staying active in a group either in-person or online you are giving yourself the gift of support. You may not "need" support right now but you can still "give" it. One day you will need it and then you will have made acquaintances that are standing ready to support and encourage you.

So no matter where you are on your personal journey do your best to give part of yourself to others by posting, encouraging, sharing your fears and your victories. We are being given a new lease...what will you do today with that gift?

• Like 2

To Ellemarie,

Thanks so much for your post..I am coming up on my surgery in a few weeks...getting very nervous..but aprart from the actual procedure and recovery..I guess I am nervous about having no one to 'chat' with others that are dealing with the issues in our heads. Apart from the physical change, the emotional changes that I expect will take place leave me a bit worried that I wont have a forum to read of what others are going through and to express what I'm feeling to those that understand. I appreciate you keeping up with your posts and look forward to reading some more of your journey.

Thank you tx40! I do try. I belong to four different sites so I do far more reading than writing but I do want to make a point of posting here because I was SO pleased with the work they did for me and how comfortable they made us feel. Anything I can do to help anyone else feel good about the decision to have surgery and have it with Ortiz makes me feel like I am giving back a little.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks so much Ellemarie for your post. I too have done alot of pre-op online research. I am having surgery in November and am very nervous and scared - I have considered "backing out". I like to read patient's experiences, not only with the VSG, but particularily having surgery with Dr. O and the post op follow up. My support system is minimal and hope to find it here. Your post was inspirational in that I feel a sense of responsibility to "give back" and blog/post my journey "back to health".

god Bless.

I do so agree with Ellemarie and you too enshallah2K, I am on day 10 post op of my Gastric plication done by Dr. Ortiz. I was soo nervous the last week..really re-thinking my decision but I knew deep down it was the best decision for me and didnt come without much careful thought and research. I didnt just jump to it..it was a long time coming. On my day 10 I feel great. From day 6 on was really back to normal on the feeling inside...that's how I explain it...there's the inside feeling (your stomach) and the outside (the incisions from the laprascopy)...so the outside takes longer to heal, in my view, and I am still a bit tender but everyday does get much better...its just those gettting out of the car, ect. those kinda stretching movement that make you sore. The inside has been great...I do have to say that I have followed the post op instructions exactly..which i think makes the difference! I am on creamy soups now for another 12 days..and creamy soups have never tasted so good. I will admit the scale is not my friend...its up, down all over the place, I did call OCC to see if this was normal and they said yes...everything is still swollen, so I decided to stop obsessing and only weigh 3 times a week, rather than 3 times a day...lol..so far down about 7 lbs in 10 days..so not complaining really...all in all, I am completly happy with my decision and I will keep on top of my adventure! take care

Tracy