owie

I am on day 6 post-op, taking it easy staying with the eating plan I was given, walking around but being careful. The incisions are healing very well and my pain is less every day.

BUT- when I turn or try to get out of bed using my stomach muscles sometimes I get a very sharp stabbing pain in my abdomen. It is 3-4 inches below and to the left of my port incision, so I know it isn't something going wrong with the incision.

I have had c sections and I am pretty sure I remember having random occasional stabbing pains as I healed, so I am not freaking out, but I never really asked my OB/GYN why they happened and I cannot remember how long they lasted.

It happens only when I make the mistake of forgetting and trying to use my tummy muscles but- wow- they hurt like the dickens. I guess I just want to know if any of you had this and re-assurance that it is okay and normal.

And temporary,lol.

Hello Sunny.

Remember that your port is actually stitched into your stomach muscles which is why I was advised not to do any stomach crunches for quite some time after the surgery. While I was recovering I would feel perfectly fine until I tried to sit up from lying down then *ouch*

Not enough to cause a huge reaction on my part but certainly enough to make me take notice. I don't have that pain anymore and can do sit-ups just fine if I get the inclination. I went in for my first fill last week and got to see my port for the first time. I expected it to be directly under my large scar but in fact it is an inch or two below the incision site which sounds almost exactly to be where you are experiencing your discomfort.

Of course if the pain does not go away almost immediately or you are experiencing it other than when you try and do a sit-up, or if you just need a little more reassurance than my very *un*professional self, go ahead and call Dr Ortiz to pick his brain a little.

I am on day 6 post-op, taking it easy staying with the eating plan I was given, walking around but being careful. The incisions are healing very well and my pain is less every day.

BUT- when I turn or try to get out of bed using my stomach muscles sometimes I get a very sharp stabbing pain in my abdomen. It is 3-4 inches below and to the left of my port incision, so I know it isn't something going wrong with the incision.

I have had c sections and I am pretty sure I remember having random occasional stabbing pains as I healed, so I am not freaking out, but I never really asked my OB/GYN why they happened and I cannot remember how long they lasted.

It happens only when I make the mistake of forgetting and trying to use my tummy muscles but- wow- they hurt like the dickens. I guess I just want to know if any of you had this and re-assurance that it is okay and normal.

And temporary,lol.

you are describing exactly how it felt to me too. i had to go back to work and being mommy in less than a week after surgery and took for granted the sore muscles i would be forced to use just doing the simple things. having to get in and out of a (full-size) SUV was the worst! i noticed the pain you are describing when i would get in and out of bed and off of the couch as well. of course you are not supposed to do ANYTHING if it causes pain, so just be extra careful when using your abdominal muscles during this important time of healing.

the good news is... it goes away! =D>

Hi,

I can tell that you have never been taught how to get out of bed after abdominal surgery. While in bed, turn on your side, then push up with your hands. Thus you avoid pulling muscles in your abdomen. Also, if you have pain while coughing or sneezing, splint your abdomen with a pillow. Press in with the pillow when you cough or sneeze. Should help. From bbuck, RN

Hi,

I had the same pain. The good news is that it did not last long. I just hit 2 weeks post-op yesterday and it was gone by then..........actually a little earlier than that -- although I can't recall when I stopped noticing it.

One thing that helped me was holding the port in place (placing my hand over the port area on my abdomen) while I got up out of bed. This is similar to holding a pillow to your abdomen, which I was taught while recovering from a c-section.

Good luck.......the pain should end shortly.

Kathy

Hi,

I can tell that you have never been taught how to get out of bed after abdominal surgery. While in bed, turn on your side, then push up with your hands. Thus you avoid pulling muscles in your abdomen. Also, if you have pain while coughing or sneezing, splint your abdomen with a pillow. Press in with the pillow when you cough or sneeze. Should help. From bbuck, RN

"bbuck, RN"... actually i have been taught how to get out of bed. i am a RN, as you are,

and i was in pain at first regardless of how much i tried to not pull my abdominal muscles.

using proper form post-op is very helpful, but certainly not fool proof! ;)

I know this sounds harsh, but think of your port incision much like a stab wound. You need time to heal. Also, as you heal, your nerves will start to heal and can give you some random "firing" its normal! If you port incision starts to get red, swollen or hot, you need to see a doctor :)