Any VSGers 5+ years post-op?

Hi!

I'm interested in hearing from some "senior" VSGers. Anyone out there who've had the procedure by Dr. Ortiz at the OCC 5+ year ago? I'm interested in hearing about any challenges you've encountered after the first few years of having the procedure. Advice, words of wisdom, words of caution. :)

I've found lots of people 1 or 2 years post-op, but not many 5+ year out.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

I am not 5 years out but it will be 3 years in March I have lost 77 lbs as of today I have been loosing and gaining the last 10 lbs in the last 2 years. I can say I don't exercise (have a very bad knee) need to save money for a $2000 leg brace to be able to exercise. :( That is my goal this year. I also am not great with my eating and trying to go back to getting in more protein. It is harder for me know as I am a full time mom and returned to school for nursing so I am on the go all the time and need more hours in my day. I will be happy to answer any of your questions you have. here or pm.

Biggest words of advice use your first year after surgery the most eat great, EXERCISE you butt off and you will be set I seem to just be stuck and need to just get back to where I was post op mentally.

Thanks! It's always nice to hear some words of advice from someone who is a few years post-op. :) My fiancé had his VSG last summer so he's only 6 months post-op. And I know my experience will not necessarily be the same as his. I think I am most concerned about a complication after I leave the clinic and not having a doctor in my hometown who is familiar with bariatric procedures. Did you have any complications?

I did not have any complications but I was very careful with my tinny tummy, I know that some complications can happen within the first years from people trying to overeat again. I know everyone will tell you something different but it can happen and people with food issues will always try to push the limits if they eat emotionally and do not deal with the emotional issues.

I do still have times where I don't feel good shaky and a little light headed. My general Dr is going to check me for hypoglycemia.

MY high cholesterol has gone away, my hormones have steadied out a little better than they were and my joints don't hurt as much as they use too.

My major reason for wls was family history and I had a Major knee surgery that is fixed for now but I will be in need of a total knee replacement in 10 years or longer if I can get the fix to last longer.

• 2 months later...

I am having the sleeve surgery on May 2nd and having second thoughts about it. I am an emotional eater and I have no idea what it feels like to be hungry. I hate being so overweight and I know my life would change if I lost weight, but now I'm scared of what will happen to me