February Surgery Patients

So far there are three of us.

AussieInOregon : Ian, Oregon

SFkitten : Mel, California

Sand Pirate : ?, Florida

Just thought I would put a topic heading that poeple will recognize as their surgery date. It would be good if we could chat a little prior to meeting up, that way we would have someone we know in the hospital.

So what type of pre-op diet are you guys on. I just started day 2 of medifast to loose weight prior to the operation. Medifast will be suitable for the post-op liquid phase but after that I will move on to 3 meals a day of solids to get the band to do its job.

Right now I am very excited about loosing weight and more importantly keeping it off. I have yo-yo dieted a lot, keeping weight off for a year then loosing focus only to see it all return plus more.

I have spent a long time researching the Lap Band on the net, as everyone has done, and I think most of my questions are answered. I understand the risks, then I weigh them about the risks of doing nothing. At present I am 43 yo, 5'8", 290 lb, so the health risk of doing nothing is very severe. I don't have diabetes or heart disease, but I do have mild sleep apnea (I want to get off the CPAP badly), and my left knee hurts sometimes (I had surgery on it when I was 16 yo). I need to loose weight before more serious health problems kick in.

So, I am 100% committed to making this work but here are my current thoughts.

1. I am not worried about the surgery, or the pain after the surgery, it will be a reminder to me of the commitment I am making.

2. I plan to return to Dr. Ortiz for all my fills, because of his competence, also I miss a few rays on a beach from time to time.

3. I do worry about getting back home and not having good medical backup for emergencies. I have Pacificare insurance, they don't cover WLS or complications that may arise from it. I visited the Lap Band doctors in Eugene, Oregon, and they said they would refuse to work on someone that was banded in Mexico.

4. I am a little apprehensive about accidently making a mistake and not chewing a piece of food and having it get stuck. If it gets stuck will I need to go in for emergency surgery. Or can I hop on a plane to San Diego, survive 2 days of having it stuck, and get it rectified?

5. Complications of slippage and erosion don't worry me a lot in the first few years as the statistics show that there is a very low rate. It is a risk but not life threatening.

5. I am concerned about the long term outcome. Will these bands fail after 5, 10, or 20 years? By failure I mean two things. The first is the band itself needing removal. The second is really my failure to keep the wieght off. Reading some of the scientific literature indicates that there is a high risk of failure as time goes on. But if it buys me 10 years of good health then I am willing to take the risk.

Enough for now.

Cheers

Ian.

I think we have a lot of the same concerns and goals. I'm 32 and 209, which for someone who is 4'11.5" is quite a bit. My mom is going to fly down with me, which is great, because she rocks. And she's a nurse and apprehensive about this whole thing, so it will be good for her to see the clinic.

Carolyn gave me the names of two doctors here in the Bay Area that work on people who get banded in Mexico. While I plan on going to OCC for at least my first fill (and maybe more!), it is nice to know that there are people within a 30-minute drive who will do fills.

We can plan to meet for our first fill!

I am scared of the pain (I'm a bad pain person), the pb'ing and the possible side effects. But I like that it's reversible if need be and I am 100% committed to losing weight, having more energy and avoiding co-morbidities down the road. I get tired easily and short of breath when I go up stairs.

As for my diet, well, I haven't really started yet. I'm eating healthy, but I plan to really begin in January (not gain anything before that, though) and then do the 12-day protein shake and lean cuisine diet.

I think we have a lot of the same concerns and goals. I'm 32 and 209, which for someone who is 4'11.5" is quite a bit. My mom is going to fly down with me, which is great, because she rocks. And she's a nurse and apprehensive about this whole thing, so it will be good for her to see the clinic.

Carolyn gave me the names of two doctors here in the Bay Area that work on people who get banded in Mexico. While I plan on going to OCC for at least my first fill (and maybe more!), it is nice to know that there are people within a 30-minute drive who will do fills.

I am scared of the pain (I'm a bad pain person), the pb'ing and the possible side effects. But I like that it's reversible if need be and I am 100% committed to losing weight, having more energy and avoiding co-morbidities down the road. I get tired easily and short of breath when I go up stairs.

As for my diet, well, I haven't really started yet. I'm eating healthy, but I plan to really begin in January (not gain anything before that, though) and then do the 12-day protein shake and lean cuisine diet.

Great to hear you have someone to support you when you come down here!!

Looking forward to meeting you and your mother.

Hi From Boca Raton, Florida :-h

Surgery date February 9th 2007

I am a 53 year old man that is 5'10" and just broke the 300 barrier. That was something I never wanted to see but it happened so now I have to so something about it. Yes, like the two of you I tried every diet known to man and a few known to only aliens. (hehe kidding) The one thing I hate about dieting is that my will power only goes so far and then I cheat and then cheat again and before you know it all the weight is back and then some. You know what the say about a DIET, its DIE with a T and thats what its doing to be when I yo-yo so much. I figured dieting is not for me, I need a lifestyle change something so dramatic it wakes my body up to the fact that I am not going to tolerate being FAT anymore. That Lap-Band is a tool to keep me in check.....NO MORE CHEATING.... or I will suffer the consequences. I am determined this will work and I am 100% committed to the program.

Sand Pirate :ph34r:

Hi From Boca Raton, Florida :-h

Surgery date February 9th 2007

I am a 53 year old man that is 5'10" and just broke the 300 barrier. That was something I never wanted to see but it happened so now I have to so something about it. Yes, like the two of you I tried every diet known to man and a few known to only aliens. (hehe kidding) The one thing I hate about dieting is that my will power only goes so far and then I cheat and then cheat again and before you know it all the weight is back and then some. You know what the say about a DIET, its DIE with a T and thats what its doing to be when I yo-yo so much. I figured dieting is not for me, I need a lifestyle change something so dramatic it wakes my body up to the fact that I am not going to tolerate being FAT anymore. That Lap-Band is a tool to keep me in check.....NO MORE CHEATING.... or I will suffer the consequences. I am determined this will work and I am 100% committed to the program.

Sand Pirate :ph34r:

Sand Pirate, sounds like you are in the same boat as me, able to loose weight but unable to keep it off long term. I also see the lap band as a permanent reminder to eat well and not binge.

I understand that I will always have to be careful of what I eat but I am looking forward to the day when I am not thinking that much about my weight or the lap band and have a relatively normal life, thinking about all of the other hassles....work and play.

So, have you started a pre-op diet or are you going to leave it to 10 days prior to surgery. I have decided to loose as much as I can prior to surgery, just to kick start the weight loss and also so the reduction in calories is not such a shock for my system after surgery.

Cheers

Ian.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mindysa

Hi Sfkitten, I live in San Jose,CA and am thinking about getting banded in February. I'm interested in finding out the names of the Bay Area doctors that provide the fills. I would definately go back to OCC for the first few fills, but would feel comfortable knowing there is someone in this area as well.

Thank you :)

Hi Sfkitten, I live in San Jose,CA and am thinking about getting banded in February. I'm interested in finding out the names of the Bay Area doctors that provide the fills. I would definately go back to OCC for the first few fills, but would feel comfortable knowing there is someone in this area as well.

Thank you :)

Hi Mindy,

These are the names that Carolyn from OCC sent me:

Dr. Robert McKeen - San Jose - 408-402-9911

Dr. Paul Cirangle - San Francisco - 415-561-1310

Looks like the guy in SJ does fills! Let me know when you're getting it done - it would be great to have someone local doing this too!

Guest mindysa
Hi Mindy,

These are the names that Carolyn from OCC sent me:

Dr. Robert McKeen - San Jose - 408-402-9911

Dr. Paul Cirangle - San Francisco - 415-561-1310

Looks like the guy in SJ does fills! Let me know when you're getting it done - it would be great to have someone local doing this too!

Hi ya SFkitten,

Thank you very much for the local doctor information. Wow.......that would be great to have a fill doctor here in San Jose.

That was something major I worried about. I will definately go back down to TJ to Dr. Ortiz for my 1st fill after surgery, but I'm glad there is someone local. I'm a single parent and it's very hard for me to take time off work and also to be away from my 2 boys. No one in my family knows I am doing this, and neither do my kids. I've only confided in 1 friend who is going with me for my surgery. My surgery date is February 9th. Is that your date as well?

It's funny, I think the thing I'm most scared about is missing food! I really hope the band works for me. I have a lower starting BMI of 28/29, however I've been much heavier and have lost around 20 lbs in the past year. I've always been a yo yo dieter, and now that Im in my 30's and after my 2nd son, I am having a terrible time losing the weight. Not to mention the fact that I had back surgery about 5 years ago, and the heavier I get the more my back is hurting again.

It would be nice to have someone local to correspond with regarding the surgery, recovery, etc.

Take care, and if you surgery is on the same day.........perhaps we'll meet!

:) Mindy

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I would check in here to see if anybody else will be at Dr. Ortiz's office on 2/15. I am very excited, little bit nervous. My husband is going with me, so that will help, but I tend to over think things, and my mind just runs circles.

I found out today we are going to Maui in December. I am so greatful I am getting the band now, by the time we go to Maui I won't be so embarrassed to put on a swim suit.

I'm getting banded on Feb 26 and am just really excited!! If it wasn't for school, I would have tried to get in the moment I made my decision :lol: Is there anyone else out there w/ a band date of Feb 26? It would be nice to know someone beforehand, just to make things seem a bit more familiar!!

~Renee

:-h "Hello" to my fellow Feb. 9th bandsters!!! You all looked so good after sugery!! We really had a great experience. At least, I know I did and all of you said so too. Ian, I know you stayed in Mexico for the week. I hope all is well with you!

Mindy, we really kicked it on Revolution and you got the purse hook up! ;) SFKitten and Sand Pirate, hope you two are recovering as well as me. I have no gas pain in my shoulder and the post op diet is going well. My mental hunger kicked in at the airport when smelling all the food aromas but this band will help me beat that!!

I miss you guys. Hopefully we will see eachother again in Mexico for our first fill. We will all be looking a little bit lighter too!! I am trying to avoid the scale for a while and hope to feel the results in my clothes. However, when I do finally decide to weight, I will let you all know the results.

I have a thread on this forum but it's labeled Getting Banded on Feb 2nd. Oops, my date changed and I don't know how to change my thread title. Anyway, I plan to post there daily. So, check me out!!!! Keep in touch!!! ><'

To all future lap band patients. Don't worry, this procedure is not bad at all and Dr. Ortiz and his staff are top notch!!!!

:-h Hello to all the February patients! I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. My name is Christy and I will be getting banded on 2/28. I am looking forward to everything that comes with this new journey. I would love to hear if anyone else will be banded on or right near the 28th.

I will be heading down on Tuesday the 27th and plan to get settled in before the big day. My mother and grandmother will be coming with me for support. I needed my mom for support and I think my mother needed her mom to support her while I'm in surgery.

I hope to hear from someone else getting banded on the 28th!

Christy

2/28/07

250/234/140ish

I am a newbie and I had my Surgery Feb. 5th

I fly out tomorrow morning and surgery on the 14th! My dad is going with me for support. At first, until I explained it to him, he wasn't so sure on this idea of getting this surgery...then to have it done in Mexico, he was really bothered by it. But I showed him this website and the clinic's website and he eventually came around to the idea. I don't think he'd go with me if it wasn't for my mom's job is keeping her home.

About the pre-op diet ---I wasn't told I had to lose a certain amount of weight, but I was told to follow the diet. I had made my appt. about 10 days ago, so I didn't have much time to do the pre-op diet...just for 10 or 11 days. Its been extreemly difficult to follow it, but I figure that what I lose now is less I gotta lose later. I lost about 10 or 11 lbs depending on the time of day I weigh myself.

As soon as I get home on Friday, I'll let ya'll know how it went.

Mellove,

You and your Dad will love the people at the clinic. The surgery is not bad at all. You will feel some discomfort right after the surgery but after about 2 hours you will be up and walking around. I just had surgery last Friday (9th) and I was back at work yesterday. I feel great! I had no gas pains in my shoulder but I walked around quite a bit on Saturday. Walking will really help with the gas so keep that in mind.

I am so happy that I got banded by Dr. Ortiz in Mexico. He is one of the best in this business and has performed over 4000 lap band procedures. He knows what he is doing and his staff is great too! You will be in good hands.

=D> Congratulations on your decision to get banded and living a healthier lifestyle! My pants are already fitting loose. I am not weighing myself for a couple more weeks. I want to give it some time before I step on the scale. However, I am excited about the future and I am feeling great!!!

I was banded Feb 5th. IM 37 yrs old. 5'0 and 392.pds . Im a pretty active person actually

So far truly IM not real happy with it or myself. My Doctor and staff where AWESOME people and have an awesome place . Im from Louisville KY. But my family is on Kansas and that is where I had my surgery at MISH. Overland Park KS

10 day liquid Pre OP .... Sucked. But I made it

3 day clear afer surgery

21 day Straw, cottage cheese , yogurt NOW

then will be 21 days of liquids thicker.

Then real food. I am suppose to get a fill wk 6 .

BUT I crave food. I want food. Even though I feel full or actually like a rock in my tummy

I feel bad for this, down on myself for it.

I hurt (prolly cause I do to much), I can't sleep, Im tired, I think one of my legs has not come out of the Surgery yet. LOL.

When I wake or I am woke up by the pain. It feels like someone is sticking 1000 needles in my thigh/leg. It was both at first but the other side has stopped.

This was the first surgery I have ever had in my life. maybe that has something to do with it. Maybe its Depression. I feel maybe going under brought bad memories an trauma back to my mind. i was Widowed at age 30 yrs old. And it is like it is fresh in my mind all over again.

Anyone know anything about this? Can it be , is it common? Do you know who I can find to help with this?

Stacie,

I don't know about all the feelings you are experiencing but I do know about mental hunger. I'm not that hungry but of course I want to eat real food. Especially when I smell food. Someone at work decided to pop some popcorn and it smelled so good. BUT.. I knew what I was getting myself into and there are going to be old habits that we have to break. I am feeling better each day about it because I am telling myself that I want to loose weight, I need to loose weight and I AM GOING TO LOOSE WEIGHT!!!! You just have to stay focused on the reasons you decided to get the Lap Band and stay true to yourself.

Maybe you are feeling depressed and remembering the painful past because you are not able to turn to food for comfort. It might be a good idea to seek some counseling, it wouldn't hurt. This is a huge lifestyle change so you are going to have a lot of different emotions to deal with. We have been able to hide our emotions behind food. Now, you are faced to deal with your real feelings and you don't have food to comfort them.

Hey, I went to a health food store and bought some protein shakes. I bought a Peanut Butter Chocolate Swril shake that I mixed with 1 cup of 1% milk, some ice cubes and a small dallop of peanut butter. I mixed it up real good so it wouldn't be too thick and it tasted soooo good. It helped me feel better and not so deprived. Not to mention that there was over 15g of protein and maybe a total of 250 calories. Not bad. I don't do this three meals a day but it feels good to have it for dinner. During that day, I drink a cup of sugar free hot coco and 1 cup of chicken or beef broth and flavored water like Crystal Light.

Hang in there and things will get better. Just focus on the real prize and that is your health!!! If the depression continues, seek help from your doctor. There is real help out there so use it!

Well, I had surgery on the 14th, and got home the 16th. So far so good, except for the pressure I have in my chest. It feels like one of those painful hiccups, but its almost constant...but mainly when I'm out of breath from climbing the stairs.

Does anyone know what that is? Is it gas still or what?

Other than that, I'm doing fine with pain. The Doctors and staff were awesome and Dr. Ortiz was pretty darn funny. The clinic was clean and professonal ...Both my dad and I were 100% pleased with Dr. Ortiz, his staff and clinic.

Kristy_wa

Wow it is funny that your name is Kristy and you are also from WA and getting banded two days apart. Where do you live in WA? I am from Vancouver. I hope to see you while down there, and I wish you the best of luck with your surgery. I will be arriving on the 27th at about 11:00 AM.

How is the pr-opt diet going for you? I am having a hard time getting everything together before I leave. I am moving in to a new place and having to get ready for it all before the 26th. In some ways it is a good thing because it keeps my mind off of everything else.

Christy

In Vancouver WA

Getting banded 2/26 by Dr. Ortiz!! :ph34r: