Things you wish you'd known before surgery...

I am scheduled for surgery January 15th.... Are there any pieces of wisdom you wish you'd known before surgery that would have made post surgery life a little easier???

Hmm, things I wish I had known before surgery. I wish I would have known that it was going to take several fills before reaching the right fill. And how much extra time and energy it takes out of your life to coordinate fills. Fortunately my job allows me to travel and I am in Arizona right now, so I can make a run to TJ via car. But still my first fill I was up at 3am drove 7 hours to TJ, bought insurance to cross the border in my own vehicle (US insurance is no good in Mexico), got lost trying to find the clinic, found the clinic, got my fill, waited 2 hours to cross back over the border, and drove 7 hours back to my apartment. Second piece of insight my next trip to TJ I think I am going to walk accross the border and catch a cab. But I don't regret my decission although weight loss is slow (the standard 2lbs per week), since I am not one of the high BMI people.

1. The "mental hungries" get me more than anything else. I keep a food and calorie diet to fight them.

2. Eating a meal without drinking was important to learn.

3. Chew, chew, chew. The dreaded "pb's" (productive burps) are as bad as you read.

4. My weight loss has slowed. So not to become discouraged, my scale has a digital read to ounces of a pound. I keep a log of my weight down to the ounce so I can see (and remember!) my weight loss.

6. My very most important lesson learned: The band is a tool. I can use it. I can cheat (and boy, can I cheat on vacation!). There is no such thing as "falling off the wagon", but the ability to make good or better choices in my foods. Even my husband, who has never dieted in his life, has started looking at foods differently - he looks at fat and sodium content. Then he wants more food for less calories. I've also learned that if there is something I really want to eat, it is no longer "forbidden" or something that I cannot have for the rest of my life. I just eat less of it, and then I can start making better choices right away again. I do not belive there is failure, only good and bad choices. I've hated myself most of my life because I made what most people consider "bad choices."

Finally, I learned that Dr. Ortiz and his staff are miracle workers.

Ms883

I am scheduled for surgery January 15th.... Are there any pieces of wisdom you wish you'd known before surgery that would have made post surgery life a little easier???

I am scheduled in March, and I amazed at how many positive things I've read from people post surgery and how few negative things they've written. I am excited and "hopeful" for a positive outcome. Has anyone out there read or heard of any horror stories? So far, I haven't come across enough to convince me this isn't a great tool worth the risk. Any comments are appreciated.

The only horror story I have heard which I can confirm is from a friend of my mother's. She got banded in Mexico (NOT with Dr. Ortiz) and they did not use the Inamed band but instead a generic type band. Eventually the band broke and she could not find a doctor in the states to help her because she had gotten it out of the country. This didn't scare me much because Dr Ortiz does use the Inamed band and if anything happens I would want to have it fixed by him anyway. My gynecologist has told me she's seen cases where people with the band have had erosions in their stomach and suggests about a year and a half out patients have and endoscopy to check for those. My understanding is that if you catch the erosions early the band can be taken out and the stomach will heal back up.

I haven't heard many "horror" stories either. I have read first hand accounts of bands slipping, but the person was so greatful for the lap-band and the success it had given them that they couldn't wait to get it replaced. Also, waiting a little longer to get your band filled and making sure to get more fills of smaller amounts, rather then over-filling right away will help keep you from either slippage or erosion, though sometimes things do "just happen."

Certainly Dr. Ortiz has a much lower complication rate then any of the US surgeons I've talked to or researched so far.

I am scheduled in March, and I amazed at how many positive things I've read from people post surgery and how few negative things they've written. I am excited and "hopeful" for a positive outcome. Has anyone out there read or heard of any horror stories? So far, I haven't come across enough to convince me this isn't a great tool worth the risk. Any comments are appreciated.

The only horror story I have heard which I can confirm is from a friend of my mother's. She got banded in Mexico (NOT with Dr. Ortiz) and they did not use the Inamed band but instead a generic type band. Eventually the band broke and she could not find a doctor in the states to help her because she had gotten it out of the country. This didn't scare me much because Dr Ortiz does use the Inamed band and if anything happens I would want to have it fixed by him anyway. My gynecologist has told me she's seen cases where people with the band have had erosions in their stomach and suggests about a year and a half out patients have and endoscopy to check for those. My understanding is that if you catch the erosions early the band can be taken out and the stomach will heal back up.

I am wondering how my ob/gyn is going to react to my doing this in Mexico. I hope she is supportive, and doesn't chew me a new one. I still plan to have another child and would hate for her to shoot me down! I would love to hear how everyone told ther doc and what the reaction was...

i dont think that the american doctors can really say anything. this is your own life and they cannot say or do anything that would make you feel like you made a mistake. Dr. Ortiz is one of the best doctors and his staff is one of the most caring that i have ever met. i think that american doctors are just ignorant of the whole mexico situation and they think that everyone goes and gets the surgery done in some tent. this is the only problem but dont be scared because you know better.

• Like 1

I spoke to my general physician to get his opinion before I made an appointment with Dr Ortiz. At first he was concerned, but he did some research and it wasn't long before he was totally on board. I had an appointment with my Gyno earlier this month and she was also a bit alarmed when I told her I had it done in Mexico. Once she found out I had researched this fully she relaxed.

I think American doctors are more concerned with people looking at dollar signs only without fully understanding what they're getting into. Yes you are taking on some added risks by going to a foreign country for surgery, but if you understand and accept these risks you're more likely to make a good decision.

My Doctor was all for it from the beginning. She has heard of Dr. Ortiz and has several other patients who have had their bands done in Mexico. She encouraged me to get this done and not to be put off by the whole "Mexico" thing. I know other band surgeons here look down their nose, but I think it's just because they are losing the potential income. Nita

The only thing I wish I had known was how awesome the experience would be. I started researching in January 2006 and when I saw Mexico my first reaction was NO WAY! I kept checking and researching, found that a couple of doctors in Daytona that would do the lap band (for $18,000) but one had done 3 and they other was "trained" and needed three patients scheduled to have a Proctor come, needless to say I went for the experience and on November 30, 2006 I was banded by Dr. Ortiz. I flew home on Dec. 2 and was back at work on December 4. I never missed a beat and most of my clients didn't even know I had left because I had internet access and could log on to my remote desktop and kept up with everything I needed to be doing. I basically had no pain and no problems with what I was supposed to be eating. I'm going for my first fill in two weeks and can't wait. The staff is the absolute best, the facilities are awesome and I just can't say enough good things - when I talk to people I'm starting to sound like and Evangelist for Lap-bands.

The only thing I wish I had known was how awesome the experience would be. I started researching in January 2006 and when I saw Mexico my first reaction was NO WAY! I kept checking and researching, found that a couple of doctors in Daytona that would do the lap band (for $18,000) but one had done 3 and they other was "trained" and needed three patients scheduled to have a Proctor come, needless to say I went for the experience and on November 30, 2006 I was banded by Dr. Ortiz. I flew home on Dec. 2 and was back at work on December 4. I never missed a beat and most of my clients didn't even know I had left because I had internet access and could log on to my remote desktop and kept up with everything I needed to be doing. I basically had no pain and no problems with what I was supposed to be eating. I'm going for my first fill in two weeks and can't wait. The staff is the absolute best, the facilities are awesome and I just can't say enough good things - when I talk to people I'm starting to sound like and Evangelist for Lap-bands.

I can relate to what you are saying Barbflorida. I loved my experience at the OCC. I am an evangelist for lap bands and I am preaching about Dr. Ortiz! They were so awesome there. My Dr. here in Canada was supportive, but felt a bypass is better than the lap band. Everyone can have an opinion - it doesn't mean he is right!

Happy New Year Everyone!

Hmm, things I wish I had known before surgery. I wish I would have known that it was going to take several fills before reaching the right fill. And how much extra time and energy it takes out of your life to coordinate fills. Fortunately my job allows me to travel and I am in Arizona right now, so I can make a run to TJ via car. But still my first fill I was up at 3am drove 7 hours to TJ, bought insurance to cross the border in my own vehicle (US insurance is no good in Mexico), got lost trying to find the clinic, found the clinic, got my fill, waited 2 hours to cross back over the border, and drove 7 hours back to my apartment. Second piece of insight my next trip to TJ I think I am going to walk accross the border and catch a cab. But I don't regret my decission although weight loss is slow (the standard 2lbs per week), since I am not one of the high BMI people.

Hi Marie - Congratulations on taking the intial steps that will change you life forever! The one thing I wish I had been prepard for was that I felt as though a horse kicked me right in the stomach. Boy I was taken by surprise. After the first couple of days I started to feel much better and did not need the presciption. Of course everyone is different and you may have more pain or less pain (I hope for you it is less).

Best of luck to you and please let us know how you are doing ! Take care !

EJ