regaining after sleeve

• 2 weeks later...

My sister (who had sx in the states) mentioned gaining about 40 pounds back from her lowest weight, and she is about 5 years out. Honestly, I think a lot of those pounds came back from alcohol. She isn't a big drinker, but those are empty carbs and sugars and even a few drinks every weekend can make a difference. I do believe that in becoming obese, we were "feeding" an emotional void. Just because we lose the excess weight and feel better about ourselves...that doesn't fill that void. I know personally, that seeing a counselor to address eating triggers and stressors, is a MUST for me. The sx will help me lose the weight, but I didn't become obese overnight - it took years of me overeating/eating the wrong things to get like this because of past emotional traumas. I made me obese. So I personally think that expecting to keep the weight off is futile unless I address those issues during and after my weightloss. Just my opinion :)  It sounds like the surgery worked for you, but surgery alone wasn't enough (it isn't for MOST of us!). Instead of beating yourself up, talk to someone. Get on the Bariatricpal forums. You have nothing to be ashamed of - the fact that you want to fix this is already a step in the right direction!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am almost 3 years out and starting to regain too. It is completely emotional eating that I am trying to get under control. The pandemic certainly isn’t helping. I have been to a therapist a while ago to help which only helped a little bit. It is very depressing when it starts to come back. It’s figuring out the triggers that’s the difficult thing to do. It’s the  mindless eating. 
it makes me so mad at me when I get on the scale and the numbers are going in the wrong direction. I try to blame to scale sometimes. :)

• 1 month later...

I'm waiting, surgery date is January 7th, and I have to admit that this is perhaps the biggest thing I worry about.  During the Covid lockdown, an untenable situation existed with me being practically tethered to my kitchen.  At least when I went to work every day, I was getting out of the house, and didn't have the opportunity to eat all of the time.  I went from 435 to 482.  I couldn't believe it!  I was almost 500 pounds!!!  I started Keto back in May, and since then I have lost almost 50 pounds, but the worst part of any eating plan is that over years of massive overeating, my stomach has stretched out badly!  I am voraciously hungry almost all the time, except maybe when I am sleeping.  But even then, sometimes I wake up to use the bathroom, and end up in the kitchen.  I don't eat anything, but I wander in there, just to see what's happening.  You know, since I went to bed.  I live in fear of cheating on the diet, and I've actually had a cheat day and it kicked things into gear.  I've also had a cheat day, which turned into cheat week, and cheat month, and then not only have I gained all of my unwelcome pounds back from before, but then it brings all of its weird relatives to stay as well.

My brother went to OCC and had the sleeve surgery, and he lost over 100 pounds, and put back about 20 pounds, but he's settled into his new normal some 3 years post surgery. In life, I have found if you watch success closely, you can learn great things.  Success in business teaches me to move up the ladder; success in money teaches me how to invest better; and success in weight loss teaches me how to stay on target.  I'm proud of my brother, and watching him start living his life again has been a great thing.  He has been talking to me about weight-loss surgery for a while now, and I've been researching my options.

Keto has been good, in that it has gotten me to a point where I am eating cleaner.  I purchase my meats from a local butcher, and will spend the money for grass fed.  I buy in quantity and freeze it to save a few bucks.  I no longer drink sodas of any kind.  I've eliminated processed food and sugar from my daily eating.  Now that the OCC nutritionist wants me to get down to 390 before surgery, I am following Lucia's menu guidelines, but it's hard!!  With Keto, portion control was not as important as managing metrics.  Now, I am cleansing and losing weight in preparation for this surgery.  I don't drink alcohol any more (thank God!!  Quit 35 years ago), so that helps immensely.  I can do structured eating.  Diet plans and formulas make sense to me... I'm an engineer, so I can live with a process if it makes sense to me.  I think my mind is right, and my food choices are becoming habits, but still the "what if..." questions loom overhead.  Portioning is going to be my nemesis.

Anyway, it's good to be here, and I hope to learn more about living the good life after surgery.

-jim