Getting Banded Feb.2nd

I have been researching the Lap Band and I've followed several people's journeys on this website for the past three to four months. Finally, I have decided to get banded. It just makes so much sense to me now. Of course, I would rather loose the weight without this procedure. I have been trying and just can't seem to do it. So, the lap band will be a tool for me to not over eat.

I just want to thank each of you who log on to this site and tell us your stories. You have given me so much insight on what to expect after the surgery that I feel comfortable investing this money on my health. Dr. Ortiz sounds like one of the best surgeons for this procedure and at half the cost. I've heard the bad and good stories and know that there is some adjusting to band life. You just have to get used to it and then things start to fall in it's place. The fills can be tricky but once you've got the right amount, everything works out.

I will keep you all posted on my experiences once I have the procedure done. 2007 is all about me!! Mind, body and soul.... It's my turn to conquer this battle of the bulge!!! Good luck to you all. =D>

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best of Everything to you Pam, I am new at this as well, and I am so glad I didn't "think" only ONE fill was going to do the trick!! If I did think that way, I would have been very discouraged. Plan on the fills, and if your not losing weight, you are more likely to know its probably because you will need one. I felt the same way aobut reading all the posts!!! Very helpful to me!!!!!!!! Best Regards on your journey and do keep us posted! Would love to hear you story. Teri =D>

Hello Pamela,

I too am getting banded on 02/02/07!! I though maybe we could share experiences and be lap band buddies. Let me know!! Good luck to you. :-h

I have been researching the Lap Band and I've followed several people's journeys on this website for the past three to four months. Finally, I have decided to get banded. It just makes so much sense to me now. Of course, I would rather loose the weight without this procedure. I have been trying and just can't seem to do it. So, the lap band will be a tool for me to not over eat.

I just want to thank each of you who log on to this site and tell us your stories. You have given me so much insight on what to expect after the surgery that I feel comfortable investing this money on my health. Dr. Ortiz sounds like one of the best surgeons for this procedure and at half the cost. I've heard the bad and good stories and know that there is some adjusting to band life. You just have to get used to it and then things start to fall in it's place. The fills can be tricky but once you've got the right amount, everything works out.

I will keep you all posted on my experiences once I have the procedure done. 2007 is all about me!! Mind, body and soul.... It's my turn to conquer this battle of the bulge!!! Good luck to you all. =D>

Dori,

How nice of you to want to be lapband buddies. However, my date is getting pushed back a week or two. I was really hoping for the Feb. 2nd date but I am still working on the financial part of this. I should have that taken care of within the next two weeks.

Good luck to you!!! Let me know how it goes! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm all set to be banded on Feb 9th in TJ!!! Gosh, I am so excited yet so nervous about everything. The procedure itself doesn't make me as nervous as the life style change that I face afterwards. I'm making a list of stuff that I can drink afterwards and I guess I need to stock up on broth, popcicles and what else? I've never been on a liquid diet or puree foods before so this is all new to me. I can deal with soft foods like pudding, yogurt, slim fast shakes but the clear liquids is what bothers me a little bit. I have to bring stuff with me to work so I am scrambling around to make sure I have what I need.

I've been trying to loose weight all my life is what it feels like. I have lost some in the past and then gained some back. I am really praying that this band will be the tool that I need to loose this weight once and for all!!!! I am so tired of the up and down yo-yo diets and the failure associated with them. You begin to think that you will never loose the weight. That is why I have finally decided to follow through with the lap band.

I know this journey won't be easy with the band but I hope it will be more successful. Wish me luck!!

Ummmmm. I'm suppose to loose 13 pounds by my surgery date of Feb. 9th. This is really hard because you have this desire to eat all the stuff that you are getting ready to give up. Not to mention the cold weather doesn't help much. I want to curl up on the couch with "food" for comfort. It's all a mind trip!! I just have to stay focused.

Anyway, it's count down time. Yes, I'm nervous and excited. My sister is going to meet me at the San Diego airport and go with me to the clinic. Her husband is all paranoid about us crossing the boarder at night. It's not like we are going to be alone. This is really the least of my worries. I guess I am more focused on the surgery and post op than anything else.

I am concerned with my long airport wait and flight on the way home after the surgery. I feel like I am not prepared to feed myself. They don't serve broth at the airport or on the plane. I can't drink diet soda so I guess I will be sipping on water or flavored water all day. Any suggestions??

More later.

You can take small amounts of liquid with you. You should call the airline and ask if they can arrange something for you - maybe heat up a can of broth in the microwave during the flight?

Ummmmm. I'm suppose to loose 13 pounds by my surgery date of Feb. 9th. This is really hard because you have this desire to eat all the stuff that you are getting ready to give up. Not to mention the cold weather doesn't help much. I want to curl up on the couch with "food" for comfort. It's all a mind trip!! I just have to stay focused.

Anyway, it's count down time. Yes, I'm nervous and excited. My sister is going to meet me at the San Diego airport and go with me to the clinic. Her husband is all paranoid about us crossing the boarder at night. It's not like we are going to be alone. This is really the least of my worries. I guess I am more focused on the surgery and post op than anything else.

I am concerned with my long airport wait and flight on the way home after the surgery. I feel like I am not prepared to feed myself. They don't serve broth at the airport or on the plane. I can't drink diet soda so I guess I will be sipping on water or flavored water all day. Any suggestions??

More later.

Hey :)

Just remember its not just about the weight loss, we really need to shrink the fat from your liver to make surgery safer for you!! Not only is the surgery safer, but because the band can be placed more easily, your recovery time is faster.

That is what kept me on track with my pre-op diet... knowing that it was for my safety during surgery and for a speedier recovery!

If you find yourself really struggling, give me a call, if I can't help we'll do a conference call with the nutritionist

More later.

[/quote

More later.

[/quote

Pamela, LOL You are so funny, you sound like I did, it brings back memories for me. It wasn't that long ago. (Nov 1) You probably wont be hungry at all after surgery and on the plane. It's different for everyone, but from reading everyone else's after surgery experience, the general feeling is not wanting to eat. It's hard for us eaters to even in-vision that thought, I know, but, it's a wonderful thing. LOL Lotsa Luck

Won't that be fabulous if I am not hungry on my way home. I guess I am a little bit nervous knowing that I won't be eating much before surgery and then only clear liquids afterwards. What the heck, I could survive for months without eating. I don't know what I am thinking! :lol:

Oh my goodness....2 days and counting. I can't beleive how excited I am getting!!! I have to pack tonight because I am leaving for the airport right after work tomorrow. My sister is meeting me in San Deigo and will be by my side. I'm the blonde bombshell and she is the sexy brunette in the picture!! She is not only my sister but my best friend so she wouldn't miss this for the world!!! I've been the one who has always battled my weight so she is really excited about this new journey. We are also going to visit Cos Med Clinic while in TJ. We want to get some pricing on some basic stuff like botox, facials etc..

My husband is excited for me but I think he is pretty nervous too. He has to stay home to pick the kids up from school and coach my 9 year old's basketball game on Saturday. Plus, I rather have my sister with me because she will understand what I am going through. Oh..his feelings would be hurt if he heard me say that. I don't mean anything bad by it. It's just a girl thing. I told him that he could come with me when I get my first fill. My sister's husband is all nervous about us crossing the boarder into TJ. He doesn't want us to get kidnapped and then sold as sex slaves :ph34r:

Well, here I am almost at a crossroad in my life. I'm sure that I will adjust to the band and it will be like 2nd nature to me soon enough. I am so ready for this that I can hardly focus on anything else.

Bring on the broth!!!! ;)

Hey Pamela,

I am excited for you. I remember the day I packed. The excitement and nervousness were almost more than I could take. Don't be nervous though, it will all be fine.

As for the plane rides, I have been to Tijuana three times for this, and been on liquids all three times. My plane ride is only 3 hours, but with the airport wait, and after surgery I had a layover than meant 6 hours of traveling, I have some suggestions. First, bring boullion cubes in your carry-on. They are not liquid, but can be added to hot water very easiely. The airport in San Diego gave me several cups of hot water for free, so I'm sure they will for you too. Once you get past the security checkpoint, you can have the hot water. Teas are also easy to carry and good. You can buy water also, and take it on the plane, so I brought Crystal Light singles packets. They were terrific. Then on the plane, I mixed cranberry juice with my water to dilute it and had that also. I have not been hungry on the plane ride home. The fills or the surgery helped me get through, and there is a lot you can do with liquids.

Good luck, I'll be thinking of you and praying for you.

Becki

Becki,

Thanks so much for your support! I bought the chicken broth cubes so I have an option at the airport. I am going to take some Crystal Light on the go packets with me also. My mom is worried about me having to walk the airport between flights and has told me to ask for a wheelchair. I told her that I should be fine. I don't think I will be wheelchair bound but if I'm in pain, I will ask for assistance.

I remember reading your entries when you were packing and what should you take with you. It's all surreal to me. I almost can't believe that this is happening. You really have been an inspiration to me. I wasn't sure that I wanted to go through with this but after following your thread and others, I've decided that this is for me. I can't wait to let you all know how it goes. :)

I haven't lost very much weight on the pre op diet but I think everything should be okay (keeping my fingers crossed). :((

Oh my goodness....2 days and counting. I can't beleive how excited I am getting!!! I have to pack tonight because I am leaving for the airport right after work tomorrow. My sister is meeting me in San Deigo and will be by my side. I'm the blonde bombshell and she is the sexy brunette in the picture!! She is not only my sister but my best friend so she wouldn't miss this for the world!!! I've been the one who has always battled my weight so she is really excited about this new journey. We are also going to visit Cos Med Clinic while in TJ. We want to get some pricing on some basic stuff like botox, facials etc..

My husband is excited for me but I think he is pretty nervous too. He has to stay home to pick the kids up from school and coach my 9 year old's basketball game on Saturday. Plus, I rather have my sister with me because she will understand what I am going through. Oh..his feelings would be hurt if he heard me say that. I don't mean anything bad by it. It's just a girl thing. I told him that he could come with me when I get my first fill. My sister's husband is all nervous about us crossing the boarder into TJ. He doesn't want us to get kidnapped and then sold as sex slaves :ph34r:

Well, here I am almost at a crossroad in my life. I'm sure that I will adjust to the band and it will be like 2nd nature to me soon enough. I am so ready for this that I can hardly focus on anything else.

Bring on the broth!!!! ;)

Hi Pamela, I'm sure by now you've had your surgery and are recovering just fine. Aren't they the nicest people at the clinic? I'm so excited for you, it's been fun reading your posts and getting to know you through this board. I'm sure by now you've realized that this band is not a cure-all, but a really nice tool that does work as long as you work with it. My parents are both from Oklahoma and my Mom is still there. I have lots of family in Ok City also. I grew up with their cooking and learned to love everything "chicken fried" and a part of me will always miss that! I know I can still have it in small portions, but have tried not to cook that way for years, as it's not exactly good for us.

Soooo, I guess you and your sister haven't been sold to the sex trade business, drats! might have been fun, I'm soooo kidding! My son was really freaked about me going down there and said I would probably wake up in a tub full of ice, with a note telling me they'd removed my kidneys! He keeps telling me I'm probably missing something that they just didn't tell me about, but I told him if I am, it has to be small enough to fit through one of the tiny holes they put in me, so it can't be anything important! I'm hoping you and your sister will enjoy the rest of your stay in TJ, and have great memories to look back on. You'll have to let us know about the Cos Med Clinic, I never thought about that for quick proceedures, but it would be something to do when I go down for fills. We'll all look forward to hearing about your experience and are praying for you!

Kim

Hi pamela,

hope your surgery went ok - i met you and your friend in the lobby - I ended up with an unfill and have been loving life since i can eat again without every bite being a struggle. Martinez suggested i should be less filled so i can have three regular meals and a snack or two every day - at least if i continue to not lose weight i will feel better about it cuz i can enjoy some food again. i've noticed my willpower is more called in to play with each meal but it's not uncontrollable. i've had breakfast two days in a row and i almost cried.

anyway, hope you are doing ok - just take it one step at a time and things will fall into place - remember to stick to that liquid diet for three weeks - honestly that is the most imp time - it's not to lose weight though you should with no solids but to heal and make sure that band stays in place.

let us know how things are going for you and it was nice to meet you and gab. thanks for your support and advice to me too -we are all in this together, Mary

I was finally banded on Feb.9th by Dr. Ortiz and I must say that the whole experience was wonderful!! Everything about the OCC was perfect and the hotel was nice too. I had a great time and met some wonderful people who were getting banded too.

:-h "Hello" to all my fellow Feb 9th bandsters!!!! We kicked in Mexico! Shopping on Revolution was a lot of fun.

I am back at work today and feel great. No gas pains in my shoulder and I haven't had to take any pain meds. My port site is a little bit sore but that is to be expected. My post op diet is going fine and I only feel the mental hunger when I smell food. It was tough sitting at the airport smelling all the food aroma! #-o

Dr. Ortiz and his staff were the best and you could tell that they wanted to make you feel comfortable. You weren't a "bother" to them when you asked for my popcicles and caprisun drinks!

So, I'm finally banded and moving on to a new me! I'll keep this updated with my progress. I wish I could change my thread to Banded Feb 9th instead of 2nd but I don't know how.

Hope to hear from some of my Feb 9th bandits!! ><'

Mary: Good to hear from you. I am glad that you are feeling better. Stay focused and you will do great! :-h

Kym: The surgery went great!!! I just love Mexico and the people there. The clinical staff at the OCC was fabulous. I love Dr. Ortiz (cutie)!

The Cos Med Clinic was a nice facility. We had a test done to our face through a picture image showing the sun damage under our skin. This damage will eventually come to surface as sun spots and discoloration. They had a lot of good recommendations on what procedures were necessary and the cost was reasonable. I plan to check on the IPL procedure here in the states to compare. I left my paperwork at home so I don't remember what IPL stands for but it is like a laser or light that helps remove sun damage and stimulates collagen. They charge $180 per session and it is recommended that you have 4 sessions. This is just one of the procedures that I checked on.

Talk to you soon.

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!!! Today is another GREAT day after being banded!! Of course, I still have some mental hunger issues but it's only 6 days post op. The wanting to eat when I'm not hungry is a bad habit that this band is going to help me break. Okay, I must confess that I am looking at my calender daily and can't wait until March 3rd which is the day I can finally chew some food. I am still cooking dinner for my family and it is hard at times to stare at that food and know that I can't take a bite.

Anyway, I am drinking a Dannon Yogurt drink today for breakfast and it is delicious. I also have a Campbell drinkable soup for lunch today. It is Velvety Potato and I've never tried this before but it might be better than the broth.

The future is looking bright and I am totally siked up for this challenge. I have made a promise to myself and my family that I will not fail this time. I know the journey will be tough at times but I will prevail!!!! =D>

Wow, I am really full from 1/2 of the Campbell Soup At Hand (sip cup style) in Velvety Potato. I wanted to drink more but the longer I am sitting here the fuller I am feeling so I will save it for later. This is the first time in my life that I feel satisfied with such a small serving of soup. I am impressed with this band!!! I mean, I know that I will struggle at times like everyone because I love to eat and love food. However, I am in the process of changing bad habits into new good habits with the help of this band. I had to give up diet soda and I really don't even crave it. I have to think twice about what I put in my mouth as I am still on the post op diet. I hope that habit will follow me into the solid food stage. I really want this to work so I am going to give it my all. We all have our weeknesses and I know mine will be bold and in my face once I get to chew real food. I just plan to eat less and make better choices. I guess I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

For now, I am satisfied with less and I am lovin' it!! I know for a fact that I would have eaten plenty of food by now including Valentine's Day candy if it weren't for this band. I am really being forced to change my ways. It has taken this band to make me stop over eating and feeling guilty afterwards. I just didn't have the will power to stick with the other hundred diets I've been on in the past including diet pills. It's still ALL MENTAL so plan to get your mental state prepared prior to banding. This is not a get skinny quick fix but it sure does help you slow down and think about what you are putting into your mouth in return you loose the weight and keep it off.

These are only my feelings and thoughts through my journey with this new band. I feel confident that this band is going to be my life saver.

Congradulations on doing so well. You have such a good mindset for this journey. You will do fine. Isn't it great to be able to be satisfied with so little. I felt like a different person, a normal person, even immediately after surgery. I was still just trapped in my fat body.

Valentines day has always been hard for me. I love candy, and it is everywhere. But today, I had a piece set aside for after lunch, then just didn't feel like it. I can't believe that!!!

Cooking for my family was made so much easier by weighing myself several times a day. I know, I was obsessive, but it was so much fun to look forward to getting on it and being happy with the number that came up. You will be so excited when you do get on the scale. Just think about that while you cook for your family.

Good luck, and Happy Valentines Day!!!

Becki

Another good day after being banded. My incisions are almost invisible except for the one under my breast where my underwire bra rubs. I am 7 days post op (including my surgery date) and I feel great. The weekend is near and this is usually my worst time to binge on foods that I shouldn't eat like fast food and pizza. This will be the 2nd weekend that I will not be eating any of those foods. The first weekend was my surgery weekend and now I am back at home for this 2nd weekend. I normally have popcorn at the movies with my son but this time I won't be eating anything. I might splurge and get an icy drink or maybe I will just chew some gum. New habits, new habits... this is my focus. Out with the old and in with the new!

My energy level is fine thus far. I am drinking a protein shake for dinner and some good soups for lunch. Breakfast is a drinkable yogurt and then flavored water throughout the day. I still sip on chicken broth every now and again. All in all, it is going great. My husband is surprised at my "will power" but I told him that I can't eat because my band is healing. Not to mention that I feel full off of so little. It still blows him away because normally we would be getting something to eat. That is what we do...EAT. Now things are a little bit different. My focus is not food at this point. He's really proud of me. My sons don't see anything different at this point because they aren't paying that much attention to my eating patterns. They don't know about the surgery because they would have freaked out. They are 16, 18 and 9 years old and all over protective of their mother. They just wouldn't understand why I need a lapband so my husband and I kept it from them at least for now.

Life is good and this band is great!