4 days post op food?

debi

I had surgery on Jan 5th, everything went great, now im just having clear liquids, is jello okay, when do I start drinkable yogart? Ive tried to call the office but for some reason they havent called me back yet. Im already sick of broth,gateraid and popcycles, I am alot more hungry then i imagined. Any advice would be helpful until i can get ahold of Miranda.

I had surgery on Jan 5th, everything went great, now im just having clear liquids, is jello okay, when do I start drinkable yogart? Ive tried to call the office but for some reason they havent called me back yet. Im already sick of broth,gateraid and popcycles, I am alot more hungry then i imagined. Any advice would be helpful until i can get ahold of Miranda.

I wouldnt do the jello, only because she said patients were having trouble with it. We did the drinkable yogurt 3 days after surgery. Then started blending soups to puree, and I strained everything. Costco has some great soups, and you can make your own, just puree them and strain everything with a cheese cloth. I just pushed it down with a spoon if it was thick. If she allowed us to do this, I dont see why she wouldnt allow you to do it also. I have tried to call her also, but she does better getting back to you via e-mail. Teri

Hi Debi,

I had surgery January 4th, and Dr. Miranda said that we could add the drinkable yogurt beginning day 4, so you should be ok. I also had jello and had no problems, but I only ate it twice. I just started full liquids yesterday (thursday) and have pureed some soup, I thought it wouldn't be very good, but actually it is pretty good, but I guess when you haven't had anything but clear liquids for a week anything is good. I don't have alot of hunger, just the mental hunger, which doesn't help that I work a 2nd job at night and I am the only person at work who isn't sleeping, that's hard to keep busy and not "think" about food, but am doing ok so far. Well, good luck.

Kellie

Hi Debi,

I had surgery January 4th, and Dr. Miranda said that we could add the drinkable yogurt beginning day 4, so you should be ok. I also had jello and had no problems, but I only ate it twice. I just started full liquids yesterday (thursday) and have pureed some soup, I thought it wouldn't be very good, but actually it is pretty good, but I guess when you haven't had anything but clear liquids for a week anything is good. I don't have alot of hunger, just the mental hunger, which doesn't help that I work a 2nd job at night and I am the only person at work who isn't sleeping, that's hard to keep busy and not "think" about food, but am doing ok so far. Well, good luck.

Kellie

I invented some unusual full 'liquids' when on that phase post-op. I really craved Mexican food, so I purchased an enchilada TV dinner, and blended it with V-8 juice. It did not look appetizing, but the flavors satisfied my cravings.

I did the same with meat and bean chili, with tomato juice. Also, for Thanksgiving, I made a mashed potato, turkey, and stuffing cocktail thinned with chicken broth. Tasted great, but again, it did not look pretty.

You are past your clear liquid phase now, but would like to address the subject for others - including myself being 6th day post-op. My niece had surgery in April and said they were given jello immediately post-op at the clinic so I tried it. The first time it left me feeling a bit uncomfortable, but my niece who is also an LVN said I probably didn't squish it enough in my mouth. I tried it again making sure to squish very well and, though it was better, I still became a little to aware of my "little stomach" feeling full for my liking. I have decided it's more a 3rd week food for me. I have read that how well you adhere to the guidelines in the first there weeks determines how well you do with your banding, so I'm trying really hard to do exactly as instructed. It is somewhat confusing. Some of the material seems to say something slightly different. Some people seem to move to thicked liquids sooner than the second week and do fine, but I am terrified of stretching out my "little stomach" (I don't like the term "pouch") or causing the band to slip so I'm toughing it out. Today and tomorrow! I am dreaming of tomato soup and Slimfast. I haven't been hungry - though the growling from my "lower stomach" is disconcerting- it's just boring!!! I'm keeping my eye to the future to get me through.

:-? Ok, either my doctor is a total nutcase, or I havent read his instructions enough times..I went back again today, and reread them, just to make sure. I was banded on Jan 5th. I had water right after getting into my room. The next day they brought me a full liquid gastric bypass meal. I also had pain PILLS, which is what he orders. My meal which consisted of broth, Cream of Wheat (yup), milk, apple juice. I ask are you sure??? His instructions were full liquids after getting home, which was oatmeal, grits, cream of wheat, creamed soups, anything l could suck through a straw. I added liquids to my cereals, but, was able to tolerate them fine. I ate pudding, and jello, from night one at home. The second week was blended items. Nothing bigger than 3mm. I did fine with blended soups and such. Now, this weekend I was able to eat solids. Now, I know the things I have chosen are not the best items, but, all of a sudden I was able to eat again, without any restriction. His moto is not what you eat, but, how you eat it. I have no restriction at all, right now, and have to be very careful of this. My first fill is the second week of Feb, and I really dont want to gain back anything. I know the first one may not be restricted either. So, is my doc totally off?? Or did anyone else have this diet? OH, and no pre surgery diet changes, either..thanks geri

• 4 weeks later...
:-? Ok, either my doctor is a total nutcase, or I havent read his instructions enough times..I went back again today, and reread them, just to make sure. I was banded on Jan 5th. I had water right after getting into my room. The next day they brought me a full liquid gastric bypass meal. I also had pain PILLS, which is what he orders. My meal which consisted of broth, Cream of Wheat (yup), milk, apple juice. I ask are you sure??? His instructions were full liquids after getting home, which was oatmeal, grits, cream of wheat, creamed soups, anything l could suck through a straw. I added liquids to my cereals, but, was able to tolerate them fine. I ate pudding, and jello, from night one at home. The second week was blended items. Nothing bigger than 3mm. I did fine with blended soups and such. Now, this weekend I was able to eat solids. Now, I know the things I have chosen are not the best items, but, all of a sudden I was able to eat again, without any restriction. His moto is not what you eat, but, how you eat it. I have no restriction at all, right now, and have to be very careful of this. My first fill is the second week of Feb, and I really dont want to gain back anything. I know the first one may not be restricted either. So, is my doc totally off?? Or did anyone else have this diet? OH, and no pre surgery diet changes, either..thanks geri

I actually think My Dr. is a little extreme I was on a 10 day pre op liquid , then Post op we do 21 days liquids , then 21 days thick liquids and soft foods. I think it is more to hold us off till our first fill in my opinion...lol...But I had an awesome Dr and Hospital

• 3 weeks later...
Guest blueskies7890
I actually think My Dr. is a little extreme I was on a 10 day pre op liquid , then Post op we do 21 days liquids , then 21 days thick liquids and soft foods. I think it is more to hold us off till our first fill in my opinion...lol...But I had an awesome Dr and Hospital

I'm starting to think my doctor also takes the extreme approach-

Pre-op: 1 week of nothing but protein shakes and plain salad

Post-op:

1st TWO weeks- clear liquids (broth, jello, popsicles)

3rd week- thick liquids (stuff you can suck through a straw)

4th week- full solids

TWO weeks of clear liquids seems like more torture than most people have had to endure!

I'm starting to think my doctor also takes the extreme approach-

Pre-op: 1 week of nothing but protein shakes and plain salad

Post-op:

1st TWO weeks- clear liquids (broth, jello, popsicles)

3rd week- thick liquids (stuff you can suck through a straw)

4th week- full solids

TWO weeks of clear liquids seems like more torture than most people have had to endure!

LOL....well I was Liquids 10 days before surgery and 21 days after....So I was about out of my mind after 4 weeks,,,,then I was able to go straw diet 21 days....So IM doing a little of my own thing after reading A LOT of lap band diet after surgery sights ....All state regular food by the 5th week most say before that.

• 2 weeks later...

I got an email from Dr. Miranda stating that Dr. Ortiz's patients were required to be on liquids for 21 days post surgery...I had heard from people that week three was the mushies stage, but now I'm wondering how I'll be able to get through this. I figured I could handle two weeks of clear, then full liquids, and then mushies...then "real" food. The list she sent me was just things like Optifast or Slimfast, juices, cream soups, etc. I get the impression she wouldn't be in favor of taking something like clam chowder, blending it and adding more milk because that might make the stomach work harder which could tear your stitches, etc.

For those of you who have been banded, how did you manage to get through that phase? I have to admit I am quite apprehensive and don't want to mess up my banding in any way shape or form....

Thanks,

OkTwigs

I got an email from Dr. Miranda stating that Dr. Ortiz's patients were required to be on liquids for 21 days post surgery...I had heard from people that week three was the mushies stage, but now I'm wondering how I'll be able to get through this. I figured I could handle two weeks of clear, then full liquids, and then mushies...then "real" food. The list she sent me was just things like Optifast or Slimfast, juices, cream soups, etc. I get the impression she wouldn't be in favor of taking something like clam chowder, blending it and adding more milk because that might make the stomach work harder which could tear your stitches, etc.

For those of you who have been banded, how did you manage to get through that phase? I have to admit I am quite apprehensive and don't want to mess up my banding in any way shape or form....

Thanks,

OkTwigs

I would first say follow Dr. Miranda's guidelines. She verbally told me I could start full liquids on day #4, if I tolerated well. I may have pushed the envelope a bit, but saw no problem blending soups, as long as the consistency was thin enough to go through a straw.

One of the last things on my instructions is if you can't drink it, don't eat it. I am having a difficult time with the clear broth and popsicles because I am hungry and I am only 5 days post-op. I drank a yoghurt this morning and I feel much better and a little more full. Plus broth has no protein or anything else for that matter to help me not feel so tired and weak. Dr. Miranda said for me not to drink protein shakes until day 10. Did anyone start them earlier than that? In think the earliest she said was day 7 or 8. Thanks for the support!

Stacy

One of the last things on my instructions is if you can't drink it, don't eat it. I am having a difficult time with the clear broth and popsicles because I am hungry and I am only 5 days post-op. I drank a yoghurt this morning and I feel much better and a little more full. Plus broth has no protein or anything else for that matter to help me not feel so tired and weak. Dr. Miranda said for me not to drink protein shakes until day 10. Did anyone start them earlier than that? In think the earliest she said was day 7 or 8. Thanks for the support!

Stacy

I'm not sure how fast they can get it to you (but you can always use it after a fill :) ) but unjury.com has a chicken broth with 23 or so grams of protein :) They also have a plain protein powder which I haven't used, but I've read others have added it to clear liquids to get your protein in.

I also like protica.com - little "shots" of protein.

I'd stick with clear and yogurt for another couple of days. IIRC, cream soups started at 8-10 days. I WILL tell you that the first taste of cream soup tastes like a filet mignon, lol :)

Stacy

Hey Stacy, it's E. I took copious notes when Dr. Miranda was talking (because she talks a little fast for my taste)...she said I could start protein shakes as early as Day 6 (which was yesterday for me & you :lol: ).

How's everything going? How's your partner handling all the changes?

E ><'

Hi all,

I am kind of a long way from getting banded, but I got Dr. Ortiz book Lap-Band for Life and it says alot about pre-op and post-op diets. One of which is when they tell you, you can have anything suckable through a straw, that doesn't mean literally sucking through a straw because that can create gas and make you uncomfortable.

Just thought I would mention that and also the book is awesome! Very informative about the whole process and troubleshooting problems too!

Peace,

Judy