pain at port site

Hi, Question for anyone who can answer this. I had my surgery on jan 3rd by Dr Ortiz. Everythinghas gone great until today I started having pain at the port site. It's tender to touch but not red or warm like an infection. Is pain like this normal for awhile.

Julie

Hi, Question for anyone who can answer this. I had my surgery on jan 3rd by Dr Ortiz. Everythinghas gone great until today I started having pain at the port site. It's tender to touch but not red or warm like an infection. Is pain like this normal for awhile.

Julie

Julie, Call Dr. Ortiz on his cell asap. If unable to get him for advice go to emergency room. You need professional help. Be safe. Let us know how things go! Kevin

I'm not a doctor and this board is not the place to get information only a licensed physician can give.

Julie, have it checked if it is really painful. If it's just tender, thats pretty normal. My port area was tender for a couple of months if I bumped or irritated it.

Roger

Thanks Roger,

I think it's normal. I was more active on Monday than I have been since the surgery and I think I just irritated the site. Today is better. I'm incredibly pleased that this is the only way I even know I had surgery, amazing. thanks much, Julie

Thanks Roger,

I think it's normal. I was more active on Monday than I have been since the surgery and I think I just irritated the site. Today is better. I'm incredibly pleased that this is the only way I even know I had surgery, amazing. thanks much, Julie

I had no port site pain until about day #5 post-op also. The most likely reasons are muscle strain (they stitch the port into the abdominal muscle) or nerves firing as the wound heals. I consider it a normal post op process, but if you experience redness or constant pain, you should call Dr. Ortiz or Martinez.

My pain occurred about twice daily, for about one week. It felt like being poked with needles, but lasted only 5 seconds.

Julie

It's normal. Unless there is redness it's just part of the healing process. I was banded a month prior to you and mine still hurts just a little every now and again. "Hurt" isn't even the right word, I'm just aware of it.

It is the one part of surgery that probably takes the longest to heal.

• 2 weeks later...

I was told by a long term bandster that it can take a year... sometimes two for you to be able to sort of "forget" about your port. it takes awhile for it to heal into place and for you body to get used to it being there. My allergies have been acting up the last 2 weeks... lots and lots of sneezing and my port was bothering me - i realized that sneezing is working out the abdominals... and my port is attached to my abdominal wall.... so its mad LOL Anyway - port "zingers" as I call them are normal for awhile (but I still freak out sometimes :lol: )

If your port site is ever warm/hot to the touch or gets inflammed or red, call the doctor immediately! I hurt my port area right after surgery (2 days! I felt so good when I returned home I cleaned out my closet and moved boxes... it felt like I'd torn something - follow the recommendations given to you at the clinic (even thought I didn't!) You know... do as I say... not as I do

Julie

Fellow bandsters,

I can only contribute from my experience and my port only hurt when I bent over to the floor on my left side during the first week after install. If pain is the issue always and not during certain specific movements I would consulate an MD. Soreness was normal for me for about 3 weeks or less. What you think will keep you well is what you should aspire to. Just be safe. Each individual has their own experience with port pain. Do what will make you feel everything is OK in you body. We all are in different places when we have the surgery and you just need to make yourself feel all is right... afterall its your body. Kevin

Thank you , thank you, thank you for posting this and all the replies. I came here today looking specifically for a "port pain" topic and there it was first on the list.

I had my suregery 12/8/06 and had no pain at all until about a week ago when I sneezed and then a couple of days later I was playing with my 2 yr old nephew and threw him up in the air a couple of times...now I get twinges every so often. But I was really scared I had done something "BAD".

Thanks for the reassurance that twinges are probably normal.

Kim