I GAINED 10 POUNDS BACK help!

karen24

HEY FELLOW BANDERS,

I REALLY NEED YOUR HELP I HAVE GAINED TEN POUNDS BACK. I HAVE FOUND THE WAY AROUND SO I CAN EAT MORE IT STARTED OUT BECAUSE HAVING FOOD STUCK IN MY THROAT IS VERY UNCOMFORTABLE SO I REACH FOR A GLASS OF WATER TO WASH IT DOWN AND AT FIRST IT HURTS BUT THEN THE FOOD JUST SEEMS TO SLIDE DOWN WITH ABOUT 2 TALL GLASSES OF WATER OF COURSE.

I HAVE HAD MY BAND FILLED AND UNFILLED AND FILLED AGAIN TO FIND THE RIGHT FITTING FOR ME AND I AM STILLING HAVING PROBLEMS.

HAVE ANY OF YOU EXPERIENCED THIS?

DO YOU THINK MY BAND NEEDS TO BE TIGHTER?

ANY TIPS ON HOW TO MAKE THIS BAND WORK FOR ME? BECAUSE I AM FEELING PRETTY DISCOURAGED! :(

HEY FELLOW BANDERS,

I REALLY NEED YOUR HELP I HAVE GAINED TEN POUNDS BACK. I HAVE FOUND THE WAY AROUND SO I CAN EAT MORE IT STARTED OUT BECAUSE HAVING FOOD STUCK IN MY THROAT IS VERY UNCOMFORTABLE SO I REACH FOR A GLASS OF WATER TO WASH IT DOWN AND AT FIRST IT HURTS BUT THEN THE FOOD JUST SEEMS TO SLIDE DOWN WITH ABOUT 2 TALL GLASSES OF WATER OF COURSE.

I HAVE HAD MY BAND FILLED AND UNFILLED AND FILLED AGAIN TO FIND THE RIGHT FITTING FOR ME AND I AM STILLING HAVING PROBLEMS.

HAVE ANY OF YOU EXPERIENCED THIS?

DO YOU THINK MY BAND NEEDS TO BE TIGHTER?

ANY TIPS ON HOW TO MAKE THIS BAND WORK FOR ME? BECAUSE I AM FEELING PRETTY DISCOURAGED! :(

Karen,

When you have your fills and unfills how much are you removing/adding at a time? From what I have read only .1 CC can make a difference.

You have found the way around the band. Remember, it is only a tool. Although, when I am full and have eaten to much and feel pain, drinking any water doesn't give me relief. Hopefully, I can scare you into relizing you could harm yourself and have your band removed if you continue to down that much water while it is full of food. You never want your pouch enlarged. Can't think of the medical term, but NOT A GOOD THING.

So, what is triggering your overeating? Emotions??? Head hunger is much harder to get over than stomache hunger.

Have you tried the cottege cheese test to see how large your pouch is? Take a cup of cottege cheese. Eat until you feel full. Not stuffed! You should be around 2/3 cups. If not, you may need a fill. In addition, I would have them check and make sure you haven't streached you pouch out.

This is only my personal opinion based upon what I have read on this site and others.

Bethy

Hello Karen,

If you continue to eat around the band, know you are doing it and that it is wrong but cannot stop, then obvisouly it is not a matter of your band being tighter or looser and it is not something you can solve intellectually (i.e. by learning what you should do and should not do - something like this runs deeper than that). I suggest you start talking to a therapist who is used to dealing with eating disorders. This is the type of thing where if you get your mental health in order then your physical health will fall into line behind it.

Karen,

When you have your fills and unfills how much are you removing/adding at a time? From what I have read only .1 CC can make a difference.

You have found the way around the band. Remember, it is only a tool. Although, when I am full and have eaten to much and feel pain, drinking any water doesn't give me relief. Hopefully, I can scare you into relizing you could harm yourself and have your band removed if you continue to down that much water while it is full of food. You never want your pouch enlarged. Can't think of the medical term, but NOT A GOOD THING.

So, what is triggering your overeating? Emotions??? Head hunger is much harder to get over than stomache hunger.

Have you tried the cottege cheese test to see how large your pouch is? Take a cup of cottege cheese. Eat until you feel full. Not stuffed! You should be around 2/3 cups. If not, you may need a fill. In addition, I would have them check and make sure you haven't streached you pouch out.

This is only my personal opinion based upon what I have read on this site and others.

Bethy

thank you!

Hello Karen,

If you continue to eat around the band, know you are doing it and that it is wrong but cannot stop, then obvisouly it is not a matter of your band being tighter or looser and it is not something you can solve intellectually (i.e. by learning what you should do and should not do - something like this runs deeper than that). I suggest you start talking to a therapist who is used to dealing with eating disorders. This is the type of thing where if you get your mental health in order then your physical health will fall into line behind it.

thanks!

It sounds to me like you already know what the problem is, you just need to be willing to fix it. Personally, I drink TONS of water every day and the idea of not drinking it for an hour after eating freaks me out, but I tried it just to make sure that I could when I have the band it and it makes such a huge difference in how soon you feel full.

The best suggestion would be to simply not keep water around you while you're eating. Make your meal and take it into the dining room or living room or wherever you eat, but don't bring a glass with you (or really soft foods like applesauce or pudding). When the food gets stuck - that's your body telling you to stop or take smaller bites or chew more. Listen to it.

Hi Karen,

As you've discovered it is possible to eat around your band. It is only a tool and can't do the work for you - that's still your job, it can only assist you.

Stick with your post-op diet instructions.... no drinking while eating. Protein first, carb last. Make your meals count. Take in only approx 4 ounces with each meal, eat only 3 meals per day. And drink, drink and drink again between meals - get that 64 ounces in... just not for an hour after eating!

I would also suggest looking for a support group in your area... more and more are emerging with the popularity of the band. but if you can't find one for bandsters... even one for gastric patients will help. Sometimes hunger isn't a cry from our stomach, but a hunger for something else... try to find out what that is. !

Check out your local bariatric center and ask about support groups in the area - or call your local hospital - they may have some information for you as well. I know I couldn't do this if I didn't have all of you! You are my support group, but I also go to a meeting with women at my church - trying to lead a healthier lifestyle. Wiser choices in all aspects, food, health, exercise.

Remember.... we are ALL here for you... cheering you on and hoping for your sucess

• 2 weeks later...