Banded June 16

I am back home in Canada after my LapBand procedure with Drs. Ortiz and Martinez. I would like to say that every aspect of the experience lived up to what was promised. Some things that especially impressed me were: Being picked up and dropped off whenever I needed to be anywhere right from the airport and back again. I felt very thoughtfully cared for! All of the care providers were wonderful including the nutritionist, nurses, and office personel. They took time to explain everything and answer questions. Every medicine was explained. Luis was kind. Mrs. Ortiz is so energetic, happy and friendly. It is nice to have others booked for surgery on the same day.... so comforting to have someone to visit with who is experiencing the same momentous occasion. The hotel Lucerna is lovely, airy, with pools and palm trees. The staff there were very helpful and friendly. There were computers in the lobby that I could buy cards for (I bought two day cards) and be in touch with everyone at home. And then driven back to the airport with the calm patience of gentleman Jim.

Phone numbers and email addresses of the doctors and hospital were provided and I was encouraged to call if any concerns, and Dr. Ortiz was very adamant that he would hope I come back for at least my first fill and Checkup at approx. 6 wks. That would definitely be my first choice if I can.

Great News!!

I am so happy for you and happy to hear you had such a great experience with OCC, they are the best. I just got home from being down there today to have a fill and as usual I was treated with the utmost care and respect. If you can swing it, you should go bac kto Dr. Ortiz for your first fill and check-up, there is peace of mind seeing the Dr. you used for your original surgery.

I wish you lots of success with your new band :D

Ok Shell, I really need your advice. I hold you up as an example with the success you've had and valuae your opinion. I'm stuck on this fill thing though. Dr. Ortiz did my surgery but I live in Michigan and it took 7 hours to get to San Diego and then the time it took to get to TJ. I want Dr. Martinez to do my first fill but damn, the time it takes is SO long. So I found a doctor about 2 hours away from my house and have scheduled my first fill with him for next week. BUT, he doesn't do them with xray (I've heard he does a sonogram to find the port). I'm really stuck on this one - drive 2 hours and run the risk he'll be too conservative and I'll have to go MANY times, or 7 hours+ to go to TJ. Help!

Chris

Hi Chris,

My opinion, I would travel to Dr. Ortiz & Martinez and have your first fill done by them, 2 reasons, Dr. Ortiz likes to see you post op for your first fill if at all possible to make sure everything is going good and everything looks good, he uses flouro so he can see your band, port etc..it is peace of mind to for you to know everything is where it should be, second, U.S. docs are less agressive with fills, so it may very well be true that it is closer and less hassle to go to your local doc, but if you do not get resriction right away you wil lbe going back 1-2 more times, why not go the first time spend the 700 and make sure you have a good fill. Burnsun( a member here Jane is her name) flew to Dr. Ortiz for her fisrt fill and is almost at goal, she has only needed one fill so far but if in the states I guarantee she would of not gotten 2.6 cc's her first fill like she did with Dr. Martinez.. GO to TJ, you will not regret it, and if you get a good fil thefirst time, then you can travle to your local doc for tune -up and less agressive fills, butthe firsttime I woulddefinately reccomend going back to TJ.

VMG -- so glad to hear you are home and all is well! congrats to you!!! I am scheduled with Dr. Ortiz on October 4......counting the days!!!! Take care! Keep us posted! Hugs from Illinois -- Kim H.

• 3 weeks later...