My Battle with Obesity: Is Lap-Band Surgery my Way Out?

Chase

I am thinking about having the lap band surgery done but I just wanted to know what others thought about it. I have typed up my "Battle with Obesity" story to post on this board so that you could read it. Please read it and tell me what you think. I'm scared of the surgery but at the same time afraid for my life. This may be my only chance...

Hi, my name is Chase, I'm 16 years old, and I weigh 275 lbs. All my life I have been overweight but it was not until the past few months did I really begin to look at myself and see that I was headed no where, and fast! My passion in life is music and theatre. I have always loved singing and acting and I had decided early on that music and theatre was what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. I have recently performed with several regional and non-union theatres close to my hometown, but I have yet to get my

Hi Chase, You are very articulate and insightful for someone so young. I pray you are able to go through weight loss surgery as it seems you are ready to change your life. You are definitely on the dieting and yo yo pattern I also suffered with my whole life and I know how painful it is to try and try and not feel successful. You don't want to wake up and be 30 years old and in the same place or worse then you are now with your weight. Plus, as you know the health problems you are facing are already great. You will have to make many lifestyle modifications and changes in your eating and exercise with the lapband but the band will help you make them - you still have to work. My brother had gastric bypass and went from 460=190lbs in less then a year. he has some health problems and issues from the surgery but he didn't gain it back like some people i've heard that had gastric bypass.

I've been a yo yo dieter my whole life and now and 40 years old and had lapband - i was lower bmi and haven't had much weight loss but like you could gain easily 40;bs in ayear and at least i haven't gained. Most likely you will lose quite a bit fast with the lapband and then it will slow down a little. Your younger age will hep you lose as your metabolism is probably faster being a man and younger, then me!

I say go for it - I would tent to lean toward the lapband over gastric bypass because you are younger and it's not as serious as an operation and you seem motivated to make changes, just not ones that are working.

With the band, you will be able to eat three small meals a day and even have snacks (think weight watchers) and you shouldn't be overly hungry although it doesn't do squat for that head hunger that tells you to keep eating even when you are full or not even hungry - you'll have to work on that.

you sound very talented and ambitious but let's face it - the world is very predjudiced against us overweight people - you will always experience discrimination and its sad but true, you wll be held back due to your weight. I wish every day i had done this sooner rather then struggle all these years. Dr. Ortiz has done a lot of procedures on teenagers so you should seek a consult with him and other docs you may like.

Good luck to you and don't give up - mary

Hi Chase!

I'm at work right now so I'm going to keep this one short :)

I would really suggest that you order "Lap-Band for Life" by Dr. Areil Ortiz. No matter who you are considering going to for the lap-band, or even if you're just starting to consider it, this book will answer 95% of your questions and is a great tool to use to decide if this is the right choice for you.

That's how I ended up here - it was listed as a resorce in the book!

Good luck with your journey,

Beth

Hey Chase, good for you for looking into your options so young. There is no point in struggling for a couple more decades, when you could be healthy, happy, and living life to the fullest. I love my band. I have been banded almost 6 months, and have lost almost 60 pounds. I started at 265, and also want to weigh 150, so we actually have a lot in common. The biggest thing that has changed with the band is my confidence and my level of comfort with who I am. I feel so much better just being me. I do not try to hide my body, even though I am still obese. (I don't exactly show it off either :lol: ) I am doing a number of athletic events this summer that I just couldn't do with all the extra weight. My whole family really stuggles with weight, a few have been successful with Weight Watchers, but they fight so hard, and really wish they could have this surgery. My aunt actually does have a band now. I think I might be able to help my kids some to not be so overweight, eating right and getting exercise. But if they can't keep the weight off, I will not hesitate to have them banded. It is the best thing I have ever done.

By the way, if you are interested in doing a lot of reading, I have posted pretty often about my journey, starting from before surgery to now. You can read it if you want. It is in the experiences with the band section, I was banded August 28th.

Good luck, it is a big decision.

Becki

I am thinking about having the lap band surgery done but I just wanted to know what others thought about it. I have typed up my "Battle with Obesity" story to post on this board so that you could read it. Please read it and tell me what you think. I'm scared of the surgery but at the same time afraid for my life. This may be my only chance...

Hi, my name is Chase, I'm 16 years old, and I weigh 275 lbs. All my life I have been overweight but it was not until the past few months did I really begin to look at myself and see that I was headed no where, and fast! My passion in life is music and theatre. I have always loved singing and acting and I had decided early on that music and theatre was what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. I have recently performed with several regional and non-union theatres close to my hometown, but I have yet to get my

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for all your support. I'm very seriously thinking about the sergury, but like before I am somewhat hesitant about it. Thanks for all the info and resources and kind words, they are all very much appreciated. For some reason the site won't let me post any photos otherwise I would :(. For those of you that said you are "Parents of a Bander" can you please provide me with an email to contact them...I would like to talk a young adult/teen about their sergury. Thx so much for all your advice! :)

-Chase

• 1 month later...