Hi!

I am new to this group. I just set my surgery date with Lori yesterday. It is for April 6th. I talked to Dr. Miranda and she wanted me to lose 16 -17 pounds in 15 days, but I told her that I have PCOS and hypothyroid, so she told me to start the diet 30 days out (which is today). 1 shake and 2 Lean Cuisines.

Has anyone been banded and had PCOS? Have you lost weight? Was it quickly or slowly?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Michele

Hi!

I am new to this group. I just set my surgery date with Lori yesterday. It is for April 6th. I talked to Dr. Miranda and she wanted me to lose 16 -17 pounds in 15 days, but I told her that I have PCOS and hypothyroid, so she told me to start the diet 30 days out (which is today). 1 shake and 2 Lean Cuisines.

Has anyone been banded and had PCOS? Have you lost weight? Was it quickly or slowly?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Michele

Hi Michelle,

I have not been banded yet, but I thought I'd write since April 6 is my surgery date too. What sort of meds do they have you on for PCOS? Just curious, since I was diagnosed in 1989, and there were no meds at that time other than fertility drugs for those who wanted to conceive at that precise time. (Which incidentally, I took without success.--10 years later, I had a spontaneous pregnancy, and my body sort of figured out what to do from that point on, and most--not all--of my problems resolved.) Just curious, and I hope I'm not prying.

At any rate, I just thought say Hi since we will probably cross paths on banding day!

Hi, Heather!

I have been on Metformin for my PCOS, but my liver was not reacting well. Now I am on Actos. The Metformin is usually for Type 2 Diabetes and my reproductive endo had me on 2000 mg a day. I usually helps with weight loss, but not for me!

Thank you for saying "hi"!

Michele

Hi, Heather!

I have been on Metformin for my PCOS, but my liver was not reacting well. Now I am on Actos. The Metformin is usually for Type 2 Diabetes and my reproductive endo had me on 2000 mg a day. I usually helps with weight loss, but not for me!

Thank you for saying "hi"!

Michele

Bummer! Well, we'll have to find each other when we're in TJ, if only to say hi! Are you bringing a buddy, or are you going it alone?

Hi Michelle,

I have not been banded yet, but I thought I'd write since April 6 is my surgery date too. What sort of meds do they have you on for PCOS? Just curious, since I was diagnosed in 1989, and there were no meds at that time other than fertility drugs for those who wanted to conceive at that precise time. (Which incidentally, I took without success.--10 years later, I had a spontaneous pregnancy, and my body sort of figured out what to do from that point on, and most--not all--of my problems resolved.) Just curious, and I hope I'm not prying.

At any rate, I just thought say Hi since we will probably cross paths on banding day!

OK, so a lot of women that are overweight are diagnosed with PCOS. The problem is that it effects are entire endocrine system. That is why you are seeing the Diabetic medications like Metformin or Actos prescribed. I was also diagnosed with the PCOS after my second daughter and a weight of 270lb. Missing periods, increased hair growth in places less desired, darkening of skin around neck, under arms etc., skin tags, and an insane craving for sugar. My doctor started me on a great new medication called Byetta. It's current FDA use is for type 2 diabetes but it is showing great promise with PCOS and weighloss in these patients. I started it last year and am feeling much better, not craving sugar, regular periods and I have had 2 friends start it as well. I lost about 20lbs but my friends have lost around 30lb each. So, if you know someone who suffers from the PCOS diagnosis, let them know about Byetta and tell them to ask their doctor if it is right for them. And remember, your PCOS dx might be secondary to obesity and will go away on it's own when you loose your weight. I am scheduled April 13th. I am also on the 1 shake, 2 lean cuisine diet until then. I have found the metamucil caplets to help with the empty stomach feeling.

Good luck to us all!