Question for those of you who have lost a lot of weight

karenlynn79

Hi,

I was wondering if those of you who have made the band work (or worked your butt off for the band!) and have lost significant amounts of weight-

Could you give us an idea of a typical day's meals?? I am not interested so much in the caloric values but the actual content of what you are eating throughout the day? And how are you getting enough protein??

Thanks!

Karen

Hi,

I was wondering if those of you who have made the band work (or worked your butt off for the band!) and have lost significant amounts of weight-

Could you give us an idea of a typical day's meals?? I am not interested so much in the caloric values but the actual content of what you are eating throughout the day? And how are you getting enough protein??

Thanks!

Karen

Here is an average day for me...

Breakfast: Protien smoothie (55g of protien)

snack: Cheese string

Lunch: Lean cuisine meal or similar

snack: ss/ff pudding

Dinner: 3 oz chicken, veg

snack: sf/ff ice cream

When I travel (I travel quite a bit with my job) I just make wise choices. I often take pre-made protien drinks with me for breakfast or I will get a fruit cup and glass of milk. At restaurants I order whatever I know will work and eat what I can and leave the rest. It is harder to stay on track when I'm away from home but just do the best that I can.

• 3 weeks later...
Here is an average day for me...

Breakfast: Protien smoothie (55g of protien)

snack: Cheese string

Lunch: Lean cuisine meal or similar

snack: ss/ff pudding

Dinner: 3 oz chicken, veg

snack: sf/ff ice cream

When I travel (I travel quite a bit with my job) I just make wise choices. I often take pre-made protien drinks with me for breakfast or I will get a fruit cup and glass of milk. At restaurants I order whatever I know will work and eat what I can and leave the rest. It is harder to stay on track when I'm away from home but just do the best that I can.

Sure! Sample of yesterday:

Breakfast consists of 1 egg with cheese

Midmorning snack is either 1/2 of an apple or banana with peanut butter

Lunch - small cup of grilled chicken and salad

Afternoon snack - High protein bar

Supper - 1/4 of a baked chicken breast with cheese and picante sauce and mushroom soup and a

tablesppon of refried beans.

Some days at lunch if the cafeteria doesn't have anything worth while I drink a Myoplex shake and I also make a high protein pudding from the Myoplex shake, fat-free sugar-free chocolate pudding mix, High protein chocolate powder, and fat free whipped topping. That is packed with protein and no fat and very limited carbs. I may even do this at breakfast if not in the mood to eat. I do occasionally have 1 egg and 1 piece of bacon. I was banded Jan 17th. Jan 3, I weighed 241, Jan 18 I weighed 228, now I weigh 194. So things are going just as expected and very well. The band is not intended to drop the weight off like the bypass, but to give you a continous weight loss if you follow the guidelines. There are people who can make this not work by not following the diet, they don't lose as much. I didn't spend $12,000 to not have it work though. Does this help you any? I hope so, good luck

Hi,

Thanks!

Karen

I guess I am not a good example. I didn't want the band to feel like a diet, so I don't tend to eat as healthy as everyone else does. Yesterday, Monday I had a packet of quaker oatmeal for breakfast, for lunch I had a small fries and 1/4 of mushroom burger from (Runza), I didn't eat supper but had a latte from Starbucks and a chocolate chip cookie. Sunday I had a raisin biscut from Hardees and a latte for breakfast, for lunch I had 1/3 a chicken strip from Kentucky fried chicken with mashed potatoes and beans, for supper I had 1/2 a chicken strip and 2 scoops of ice cream. Work days I usually eat less and better though. I imagine if I ate better I would be loosing more weight, but then my mind would probably revolt from being on a "diet".

I guess I am not a good example. I didn't want the band to feel like a diet, so I don't tend to eat as healthy as everyone else does. Yesterday, Monday I had a packet of quaker oatmeal for breakfast, for lunch I had a small fries and 1/4 of mushroom burger from (Runza), I didn't eat supper but had a latte from Starbucks and a chocolate chip cookie. Sunday I had a raisin biscut from Hardees and a latte for breakfast, for lunch I had 1/3 a chicken strip from Kentucky fried chicken with mashed potatoes and beans, for supper I had 1/2 a chicken strip and 2 scoops of ice cream. Work days I usually eat less and better though. I imagine if I ate better I would be loosing more weight, but then my mind would probably revolt from being on a "diet".

i just love your example.........this is the one thing that i have been worrying about.......i want to eat normal food.......just less of it.........i'm so glad you can tolerate "real" food........if i could eat lean cuisines all the time i would not be fat !! getting banded april 25th......loretta

I eat wayyyyyy less than I did pre=band almost 1 year ago. I have ONLY lost 30 lbs. This really depresses me. You would think that reading all of these great stories, I would be inspired. One website I go on to shows before and after photos. Everyone there looks great. Which bums me out even more....................and out comes the ice cream sandwiches.................LOL

HELP!!!!

OK: I was just trying to post, and it disappeared, so I'll try again! :-)

Here's my 2 cents worth: My Dr. is adamant that his bansters get 60 - 70 grams of protein per day, with no more than 30 gms at one sitting. His "rule" is that protein is ALWAYS the first thing eaten, then, if there's enough room, "legal" vegies, followed by fruit. I was banded on 3/16, and I'm set to have my first fill on 4/27. I cannot eat anywhere near the volume of food that I did before surgery. In talking with a lot of people at our support group over the past few months, most of the people who have significantly slowed or stopped losing weight are 1: not getting in their 60 - 70 gms of protein and / or are eating carbs (especially simple carbs) instead. I happen to be particularly sensitive to simple carbs......when I eat them, the weight just piles on.............probably how I ended up at 265 lbs! :-) Even though I haven't had a fill yet, when I eat by his rules, I'm satisfied, and I'm losing weight. I was 255 on the day of surgery, and I was 237.5 today.

A typical day for me:

breakfast: Amplify protein shake (20 gms protein) with 1-2 T. wheat germ and ground flax seed......total ~25 Gms protein

Lunch: 2-3 oz. chicken or tuna w/ FF may and maybe 1 oz. of cheese (18 - 25 gms protein)

snack: a glass of 1% milk or 1/4 C. of almonds chewed really well (~8 gms. protein)

dinner: 2-3 oz. meat or poultry or fish and small amount "legal" vegie (18 - 25 gms protein)

snack: 1/2 C. SF/LF ice cream

I am very rarely truly hungry, which is great!

So, if you're slowing or have stopped losing, you might consider trying the above "rules" for 4-7 days and see if it helps get you moving again.

I hope this is helpful! Good luck!

Kelly

I eat wayyyyyy less than I did pre=band almost 1 year ago. I have ONLY lost 30 lbs. This really depresses me. You would think that reading all of these great stories, I would be inspired. One website I go on to shows before and after photos. Everyone there looks great. Which bums me out even more....................and out comes the ice cream sandwiches.................LOL

HELP!!!!

Dear Jennifer,

Have you been exercising or are you able to? I'm a Newbie but it seems like the exercise is pretty key? I got my fingers crossed for you. Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

i eat as normal as possible and drink as normal as possible. i cant diet and that is the reason i got the band - to eat less but normal.

typical day for me:

breakfast - 1/3 of a low carb breakfast bowl

lunch - 1/2 cheese burger or 1 cup of chili or soup

dinner - varies but could be 1 or 2 pcs of pizza, or chicken strips or a small hamberger

i dont snack really because i am rarely hungry -

i have started jazzercise and go 3 or 4 times a week now and that is helping alot. Progress is slow and steady but it is still progress....I drink on the weekends beer or regular cocktales. i just live my life and do everything in moderation now. i love my band and wouldnt trade it for anything.