Just starting

I have just recently started my battery of initial visits to get the lap-band done. My concern is this, my doctor was really pushing for me to have gbypass but I held out for the lap-band. I was just more comfortable with it. Now, everytime I go him and his staff keep telling me not to expect to lose much weight if any with the lap-band. Right now I weigh about 331 and am not looking to be a size 3 but am hoping to at least lose 60-80 pounds over the next year. Any input? Thanks.

I have lost 93 lbs in 15 months with my Lap band, it can be done. Do not let anyone else tell you otherwise. I am not going to lie to you, the band works if you work with the band, it is not a magic wand, you do have to do some of the work, it is a tool to help us.

If you want it bad enough it will work, sure you can eat past the band, Iam sure many have including me, there are days when I eat the wrong things but the great thing with the band if you have a bad day, there is always tomorrow, the band keeps you in check. the band lets you know it is there. I do not get down on myself if I have a bad day unlike before my band.

The bypass was just not an option for me, too many risks and I did not like the fact my insides were going to be cut and rerouted. I also did not like the fear of malabsorption and dumping some have with the bypass.

Thanks for the advice and the comment. I was really starting to second guess my decision and thinking maybe bypass was better. The bypass for me had way too many risks and I was just not willing to take them. I am getting very excited about my surgery and can not wait for it. I'll keep you posted and congrats to you for losing 93 pounds already!

Kgirl,

I am just over 8 weeks post op and have lost 28.5lbs. After about a week and a half of eating anything I wanted after I was banded I started behaving and following the doctor's instructions. Now the weight is coming off. As Shell said below, the band is a tool. I was willing to do the work, hopefully one last time, with the hopes it would be the last time I would have to worry about the extra weight. You'll need to eat right and exercise and do what the doctor says and I'm confident you'll be fine, without having your guts rerouted. Good luck

Chris

Thanks for the information. I have researched the band alot and have read many stories all of which basically said the same thing you guys did but it was my doctor who was actually making me second guess my decision. Him and his staff keep telling me it won't work for me and not to expect to lose more than 40 pounds in the next year. But I know that if I diet and exercise and use the band as my tool I can do better than that and you guys have proven it. I am so excited and can't wait.

Hello...

I am about two months into a program to learn about weight loss surgery and to see if it would be right for me... I have so many questions, but most of the work we do is in groups and all your questions aren't answered.

Would someone mind explaining to me what the FILL is that I am reading about on the board...

I am 55 years old and need to lose 100 lbs. Is there anyone who has had this surgery so late in their life and did it work for them ???

I hate to admit it, but I am scared to death that this won't work for me simply because I like to eat. My husband and I travel quite a bit and I'm afraid that I won't be successful and wish that I hadn't done it. Don't get me wrong, there truly is nothing more that I would love to do than lose the 100 lbs, I just don't know if I can do it..

Thanks for any feedback...

Mandy

The FILL is a routine upkeep for the lap-band. Most of the time it can be done right in the doctor's office. They inject saline through the port to fill the band back up to a level that is comfortable for you and will help with continued weight loss. That is my understanding of it anyway.

The band needs to be a life time committment. Yes, you can have it removed, but why?

Think of it like this.... You are buying a car that will last a lifetime. The car will remain shiny new and always get great gas milage as long as you do the oil changes and tune ups. The band is that car. It needs tune ups and oil changes.

I also think of it like this.... On average I budget about $600 a year to spend on the band. That is only $50 a month. I have spent WAY more than $50 a month on weight loss pills, products etc. ( I once spent $300 for a 30 day supply of "guaranteed or your money back" diet pills and lets just say I am waiting for the check still).And I might not even spend my budget! Plus, I get to travel and rack up the frequent flyer miles!

Kgirl22,

The lap-band is a much safer operation and it sounds to me like your doctor may be experienced in bypass and not the lap-band. Look into Dr. Ortiz; he has mastered the surgery. As far as the fills go, 10% of the people that get the surgery don't need any fills and others may only need one or two. It depends on the person. The fills are included in the price with Dr. Ortiz. I keep reading that that the lap-band is going to make bypass obsolete, except for the most extreme cases. I have just heard of way too many complications with bypass and special diets, restrictions, etc. Having the surgery done in Mexico will save you a lot of money and they have actually been doing the procedure for much longer than the US. Good Luck.

Ummm, I don't mean to be rude (and maybe I am just in a mood) but I disagree with MefromFL. I guess I am not really disagreeing with her specifically but the kind of view that has been portrayed here often.

Most bandsters usually have an average of 4-6 fills or unfills the first year for various reasons (too tight, not enough, medical necessities, etc). Then the number REALLY depends on the person. There are a variety of reasons why you would need either a fill or an unfill. It is VERY rare that you will be banded and not need a fill at all.

I do not think bypass will ever be obsolete. I think there are certain people that would not do well with the band but do very well with the bypass. I believe that there is still a certain amount of will power needed for the band. I think that people need to know that the band is a tool only and it will only be as successful as you want it to. There is also the possibility of having the band, not filling it, and eating what you want. You still have to make healthy choices and it does not FORCE you to not eat sugar like the bypass does.

The fills are NOT included in the price for Dr. Ortiz. Fills cost $100 per visit. Technically the office visit for the fills is free. What costs is the flouro. But they do not do fills without it. So unless you just want to go down there and say "hi" you are paying for the fill. What is included is lifetime nutritional support, phone consults for issues, diet management issues, etc. But the fills cost $100. Still a lot cheaper than paying in the US but it is the same cost as anywhere else in Mexico for a flouro fill.

I think it is easy for anyone to say that their chosen path is the right way, but I think there are many paths for many different people. I do not think my mother, who had GBypass, would have been successful with the band. It would lack finality for her. She needed to be forced and bypass did that for her. About complications and special restrictions.... they do have them, but we do too. There are quirky things about this band that do not allow you to do certain things.

For example: Bypass patients can't tolerate sugar, bandsters could eat spoonfuls of sugar if they wanted to. But on the flipside, Bandsters can not drink carbonation whereas a bypass patient can have a diet coke with no sugars. Bypass patients (some) have "dumping syndrome" or vomiting. Bandsters have "pb'ing" and the "slimes". It is a trade off. There are pros and cons to every choice. Sure, the band is "reversable". But with some overeaters, they don't want that option.

Regarding having the surgery done in Mexico and the cost. Yes, it is cheaper to go to Mexico but it is important to remember that any surgery, and maybe especially for another country, that it may be a gamble. Problems can arise that may cost you plenty. For example, if something goes wrong in Mexico with your band, you are paying out of pocket for fixes. You may have to pay out of pocket in the US if you have to have it fixed in the US because you can not get back to Mexico for whatever reason (time, more money, emergency, etc). Also, slippage and erosions are a part of our risks. In the case of an erosion, you will need to pay for removal and/or replacement costs. There may be a discount but it will still be an expense you will incur. I know that Dr. Ortiz is extremely good about caring for his patients though and will work with finances to help but there is still expenses that need to be paid.

I definitely think that if I went to Mexico again for the band, I would go to Ortiz again. I think he is one of the best in Mexico. Do I think he is the best ever, anywhere and infallible? No, but I do think he is an excellent surgeon who takes great pride in what he does. I trust his talents and knowledge definitely.

I do know of a patient that went to Mexico for a band. NOT to Dr. Ortiz but went to another band doctor that was well known and placed many bands. She is now up to about $40,000 in costs for the band after a couple years of problems from Mexico. But.... Dr. Ortiz did offer to try and fix it even though he wasn't the one that screwed it up. I say that is a helluva guy. But she still would of had to pay something for the fix. Maybe she would have been fixed by him, maybe not. The whole point to all of this is that there are problems sometimes and more money has to be spent. And it could add up. Like I said, it is a slight gamble when you are self pay and don't have insurance to back it up.

To play devil's advocate for a second though..... even if you had a knee surgery in the US without insurance you could run into the same problems. All surgery is a risk. You have to be able to weigh that risk and make an educated decision.

The most important thing to remember when making your weight loss surgery choice is what is best for YOU. Do a lot of research and talk to a lot of people and spend a long time making your decision as it will be something you will live with.

I am not attacking one persons view, I am just merely pointing something out to readers of the posts about misconceptions that many people have had. I think of weight loss surgery like religion. Just because it isn't your chosen path, does not mean it is the wrong path.

i agree 100%

people make the band seem like its god's miracle to all of their weight problems but the band is actually the best tool not a miracle i know that i have had to use a lot of my will power and at the moment being unfilled i have to try even harder dr.ortiz is a great guy/surgeon but there are alot of things that can go wrong with this surgery like all others thing like infection to swelling or even internal bleeding who knows surgery is a risk no matter what but if the risk must be taken then it shall be taken

Hi,

I'm very new at this, going for my first appointment tue. and surgery scheduled for aug. 17.

Has anyone ever heard of any really negative outcomes from banding?

Also, what is mid-banding as opposed to lap-banding??? I read where someone's lap band was unsuccessful, so they had to go back for a second surgery, which was a midbanding?

jacuga,

I think in all types of surgeries there have been "negative" outcomes. But I think that most of those are caused by the patient. If you don't WANT the band to work, then it will not work. Plain and simple. If someone is looking for the magic tool to not do the work, not eat healthy, not do the exercise, not make a committment, then the band is NOT for you. The band is not meant for this all out war and struggle with food. Some people make it that way. There is a certain amount of "learning" to live with your band and that is normal but it is not something that is placed inside of you that suddenly makes you a size 2.

Very interesting thread...

My experience has been 3 fills to 2.5 cc's, then I was unfilled for 2 months due to another surgery. I am now filled again to 1.5 I have had 2 fills since June 20th. I will not have any more fills, this is just right and Iam very close to goal.

It does happen but is rare that patients do not ever need a fill to get to goal..I know personally of 3 people who have gotten to goal without a fill.

Also depending on the ammount of weight you need to lose, your dedication on doing some of the work and not relying on the band is also what determines how many fills you will need. Burnsun who is a member here has lost over 100 lbs in a year with just one fill from Dr. Martinez, it is possible. You get out of it what you put into it, your head has to be right

So many think the band is a magic wand and do not work with the band and just keep getting fills and then unfills. We still have to work at this, the band does not do it all. If you think otherwise you need to think again, if your head is not into this and you are not willing to do some work and make some changes in your life the band will not work!

Iam at 1.5 cc's..before my unfill I was at 2.5 so I am not even up tp where I was restriction wise before my unfill...but that is OK with me. I want to make the neccessary changes in my head and brain to make this a lifestyle change and have my band long term..so I work with the band. Sure I can probably eat more then I would like to but in my mind I keep saying to myself, just becasue I can does not mean I should. It's also about choices, when I eat breakfast, I eat egg whites instead of whole eggs, I eat turkey sausage instead of pork sausage, I use low cal dressing on the side instead of drowning it in the real stuff,

However there are days when I am not the perfect bandster.

before i went into the operation dr. ortiz came in to speak to me

he is a very nice guy and very funny he told me about some people who have had the surgery and have not succeeded like he told me that this one guy called him up and said that he thougth his band had slipped and dr. ortiz said well how do u know and he say i had a slice of pizza 5 days post op i was shock he also told me something i will never forget; Most people who get a complication work very hard at creating it

maybe this will help

Hi! I am thinking about having this done and weighing having it done locally for more money, but with a doctor close by vs travelling to Mexico with Dr. Ortiz. It sounds like the fills are unpredictable. Some have several and some have few to none (wow). I guess I wasn't expecting to have to travel quite that much if I am one who needs more frequent fills and/or removals. Do any of you regret traveling far and not having a doctor closer? Or has anyone had this done in Mexico and then found a doctor closer by to maintain the band? I really want to make a good decision and any advice would be great!