May 2007 Surgeries

Hello Everyone! I have been lurking in this forum for some time while I researched my options for Lap-Band Surgery, and today I sent in my forms and deposit, and am scheduled with Dr. Ortiz for 5/14/07. I am a bit nervous (the whole Mexico thing), but all the posts here about how great the experience is, have really helped to set my mind at ease. I am hoping to get some others who may be having surgery about the same time, as well as others who have gone through it! My partner had gastric bypass in May 2006, and has gone from a high of 343, to a current weight of 187- and so now I am the "fat" one...and I decided I want to get healthy again! Thanks! ><'

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Everyone! I have been lurking in this forum for some time while I researched my options for Lap-Band Surgery, and today I sent in my forms and deposit, and am scheduled with Dr. Ortiz for 5/14/07. I am a bit nervous (the whole Mexico thing), but all the posts here about how great the experience is, have really helped to set my mind at ease. I am hoping to get some others who may be having surgery about the same time, as well as others who have gone through it! My partner had gastric bypass in May 2006, and has gone from a high of 343, to a current weight of 187- and so now I am the "fat" one...and I decided I want to get healthy again! Thanks! ><'

Skep3key,

I think personally, you have made a lot better choice with the lapband then gastric. From info out there, the lapband is healthier for your body. You still must make good food choices which can be hard at times because when your filled correctly and know you can eat little, you like to indulge in the good stuff that got us all plump. It's way to much fun. Even with all my fill problems, I would not trade this for ANYTHING! You are in the best of hands with Dr. Ortiz and staff. The whole Mexico thing was huge for me to. You will see. Enjoy the best! Very caring and organized! Remember, you will lose slower, but results show after a couple of years, the weight between the to different surgerys is equal.

Best of Everything to you with everything!

Teri

Aww man! I am May 11th. It woulda been nice to finally find someone for the same day! Oh well. I'm sure I will eventually find one person. I am so freakin excited. Almost at the one month countdown mark!! YAY!

Hey there,

My mom is going to have her surgery on the 11th...she decided to have the lapband surgery after my PHENOMENAL experience...I'll be accompanying her because I'll have my first fill that day as well. I'll keep an eye on your posts...can't wait to meet you!

E ><'

Aww man! I am May 11th. It woulda been nice to finally find someone for the same day! Oh well. I'm sure I will eventually find one person. I am so freakin excited. Almost at the one month countdown mark!! YAY!

Hi Queen,

Congrats on your band date! I would like to have my surgery then, but will probably have to be a week later because of work timing. I guess people want to take vacations now, and lucky me being the back-up for their jobs. lol Oh well.

So when do you have to start your pre-op diet and how much you need to lose? Just curious. ;) Also, may I ask how much you cost is for the whole experience?

Thanks and good luck for a great experience. :)

Judy

There are 3 recommended pre-op diets, one takes 7 days and seems to be mostly a liquid diet, one is 12 days- liquid mixed with power bars and lean cuisine type meals, and one is 3 weeks and is basically the Atkins Induction Diet (I will probably choose this one as I have the time). With airfare, it will probably run about $9k.

Hi to all you May Dayers,

My surgery is booked for May 23rd - anyone else that day? I thought I might try and make the last few weeks less painful, and have started (not very dedicatedly, mind you) a South Beach/Glycemic Index diet. If I can keep my hands off the goodies, that is!

Cheers,

Laura

:rolleyes: Could someone please let me know what the process is from the time you know what date you want and the process leading up to surgery?

I know what date I want, but don't know what to expect after that. I am sure there are papers to fill out and all that, but do you get a call from Lori, or the nutritionist(Dr. Miranda) before or after the papers, etc.?

Thanks all for any guidance and help possible.

Peace,

Judy

Hi Judy!! I'm doing the 12 day diet. SO my start date will be April 30th. Including protein shakes and Lean Cuisine. I have to lose 13.5 pounds. And I paid $8,500 for the surgery plus air fare for me and my hubby so around $9K. After all the Easter Candy, I will probably need to lose more pre-op. We'll see. UGH!! I'm still looking for a May 11th surgery buddy! So how much are you paying? The same I hope. Take care!!

Hi Judy!! I'm doing the 12 day diet. SO my start date will be April 30th. Including protein shakes and Lean Cuisine. I have to lose 13.5 pounds. And I paid $8,500 for the surgery plus air fare for me and my hubby so around $9K. After all the Easter Candy, I will probably need to lose more pre-op. We'll see. UGH!! I'm still looking for a May 11th surgery buddy! So how much are you paying? The same I hope. Take care!!

Cool! Thanks for the info. Yeah, the price is right. Was hoping it was still the same. I will probably have to lose more. I am scheduled for the 21st so far. Gotta send in the deposit. Then I am set.

Good luck with your diet. You can do it! ;)

Take care,

Judy

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I are flying in on May16th he will be having surgery on the 17th of May - I had my surgery in October 2006 and he is going to take the plunge now- what is funny he see's me on here posting and telling my experience and calls me a goofball :blink::blink: ......but he sure likes my results???? LOL who's a goofball now----you would just have to know my husband and I ----he is a jokster and I am the mellow one-----tee hee not so much anymore----went shopping yesterday and was wearing a 24-26 when I began this process and I put on a 18 pair of capris woo hoo ----

see ya all soon =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

I am flying into SD on Sunday May 13th.... for my 5/16 surgery! I have yet to find anyone coming in 5/13 or will be @ the hotel on 5/14 or 5/15......... We are coming early so we can spend a couple of days shoppin' and hanging out by the pool...........YAY!

Anyone else out here that will be coming in on MOTHERS DAY???? I will be checking out on Friday May 18th 07..... Am I crazy to kick it in TJ for 5 days? I have never been and am really looking forward to getting out of the MOLDY state and catch some sun!

Take care~

Cheryl

Well there is no reason you shouldn't relax a little during this journey-it is a life changing experience and a little calmness before hand wouldn't hurt- you will love the pool area- I found it very peaceful back in October in theevening to sit out there- but now going back in May i will be enjoying the susnshine and a lot less of me by the pool this time - he he best wishes and i will see you there we get in on the 16th surgeryis the 17th

Anyone else out here that will be coming in on MOTHERS DAY???? I will be checking out on Friday May 18th 07..... Am I crazy to kick it in TJ for 5 days? I have never been and am really looking forward to getting out of the MOLDY state and catch some sun!

Hi Cheryl,

I have the same surgery date as you. I'll be arriving April 15th, operation on 16th and leaving on the 18th. I like your idea of getting there a few days earlier to hang out by the pool. I'm going to do the same, but at home. I'm a little nervous, but very excited.

See you there,

Sanjay

Well there is no reason you shouldn't relax a little during this journey-it is a life changing experience and a little calmness before hand wouldn't hurt- you will love the pool area- I found it very peaceful back in October in theevening to sit out there- but now going back in May i will be enjoying the susnshine and a lot less of me by the pool this time - he he best wishes and i will see you there we get in on the 16th surgeryis the 17th

Hi Cyndi,

What better testimonial than returning to have your husband banded! Cool! I have my surgery the day before his.

Just curious: what happened between Feb and Mar that reduced your weight loss to just 2 lbs? Was there some specific reason, or is it just the nature of weight loss that it's not always consistent?

Sanjay

Bump!

...Still looking for May Banders!!

I was banded May 25th, and can't find anyone on here who will reply! How are you doing? Four days into it, I was in so much pain, I was regretting everdoing this to myself...I'm eith days out now, and with pain killers, have the pain to where it is tolerable. I am very hungry, though, and I noticed that I can't consume as much.

Christine

Hi Cyndi,

What better testimonial than returning to have your husband banded! Cool! I have my surgery the day before his.

Just curious: what happened between Feb and Mar that reduced your weight loss to just 2 lbs? Was there some specific reason, or is it just the nature of weight loss that it's not always consistent?

Sanjay

You do have to work with your band- I am not currently exercising- do to my work schedule 12 hour shifts anywhere from 4-5 days a week- and family- my habits of eating actually change from day to day- and during that time I have no clue what may have happened - but i can recal thinking I need a fill the weight isn't moving - or I am able ot eat more ---and boom it started moving again- I changed from eatign lots of protien to adding more sald and fruits in to my diet - I will be gettign a fill when I go with my husband though just a little tweek I feel that I can eat more than before not a whole lot- I still get that full felling at a cetain time- but feelit is coming on later and my plate is a little fuller than before- but still losing - I am down to 208 ----did i tell you I LOVE MY BAND tee hee

best wishes

I changed from eatign lots of protien to adding more sald and fruits in to my diet -

Good for you. I guess that makes a lot of difference! I still haven't seen the post-op diet details, but I know that I'm pretty much going to be on clear liquids for 3-4 weeks after the surgery. I've just ordered Dr. Ortiz's book and also "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies" which seems to be the most highly recommended. I guess I'll have a pretty good idea of the best diet following surgery.

but feelit is coming on later and my plate is a little fuller than before- but still losing - I am down to 208 ----did i tell you I LOVE MY BAND tee hee

57 pounds in 4 months is pretty amazing. Congratulations! With results like that, what's not to love?

Best,

Sanjay