Motel Deal in San Diego - free shuttle to clinic

Here is a deal for Dr. Ortiz patients flying into the San Diego airport for a fill and wanting to stay overnight. The shuttle service from the airport to the hotel is $50 (EACH WAY********) and then you get freeeeeee shuttle service to the clinic and back. The hotel has great rates (currently King size bed with kitchenette (microwave & frig.) - $71.77 includes taxes or 2 beds with kitchenette (microwave & frig) - $77.29 includes taxes) Make sure you mention Dr. Ortiz!

Here's the website: America's Best Value Inn San Ysidro Here's their direct number 619-690-2633

To be honest, I have never been to this hotel so I don't know much about it, so if anybody stays there please come back and write a review :) But they are offering a nice rate and include the free shuttle service to all the TJ Medical clinics so I wanted to let you guys know about it!

**********Updated info

Here is a deal for Dr. Ortiz patients flying into the San Diego airport for a fill and wanting to stay overnight. The shuttle service from the airport to the hotel is $50 (round trip) and then you get freeeeeee shuttle service to the clinic and back. The hotel has great rates (currently King size bed with kitchenette (microwave & frig.) - $71.77 includes taxes or 2 beds with kitchenette (microwave & frig) - $77.29 includes taxes) Make sure you mention Dr. Ortiz!

Here's the website: America's Best Value Inn San Ysidro Here's their direct number 619-690-2633

To be honest, I have never been to this hotel so I don't know much about it, so if anybody stays there please come back and write a review :) But they are offering a nice rate and include the free shuttle service to all the TJ Medical clinics so I wanted to let you guys know about it!

This is great! I was so worried about my return trip. Where to stay, how to get around and the cost. :unsure:

Can you recommend a place to eat by the Lucerna hotel for the last meal?

You

I would actually just eat at the Lucerna - they have really good food. I don't know about the restaurants in TJ - that would be a better question for Rene - he lives there! :)

I agree with Lori! The Italian restaurant at the Lucerna was EXCELLENT. It's the Rivolli or something like that. Very good Italian food! My band sister ate at the other Hotel restaurant, and said it was good too. We also got room service, and ordered the Tortilla Soup (after surgery) and it WAS GREAT!

Have fun!

Donna

Here is a deal for Dr. Ortiz patients flying into the San Diego airport for a fill and wanting to stay overnight. The shuttle service from the airport to the hotel is $50 (round trip) and then you get freeeeeee shuttle service to the clinic and back. The hotel has great rates (currently King size bed with kitchenette (microwave & frig.) - $71.77 includes taxes or 2 beds with kitchenette (microwave & frig) - $77.29 includes taxes) Make sure you mention Dr. Ortiz!

I called today and made a reservation for May 8, 2007 at this hotel (being a patient of Dr. Ortiz) and Mary quoted me even a better deal. Mary quoted $89 plus tax for one night hotel and transportation from the airport/hotel/clinic and return. SWEET =D>

I JUST got back from my fill and stayed in TJ - wish I had been reading the boards, lol!

There is a good Mexican restaurant kitty cornered from the Lucerne - it's call Casa Del Mole or similar. They have enchiladas, tamales and fajitas. For about $10 you get a drink (water/coke), soup, guacamole dip, a full plate of the entree, and a tamale dessert. Just having the fill I only ate some of the guac and chips and about 2 bites of the enchilada, but they were GREAT. They put out a plate for you with all the different sauces so you can taste them and find one that's not to mild or spicy :)

Will definitely look into staying in SD next time for a change up - now you folks who are staying in SD have to scope out THOSE restos too - with a fridge and micro in the room there, it will be great to bring something back!

• 2 weeks later...
I JUST got back from my fill and stayed in TJ - wish I had been reading the boards, lol!

There is a good Mexican restaurant kitty cornered from the Lucerne - it's call Casa Del Mole or similar. They have enchiladas, tamales and fajitas. For about $10 you get a drink (water/coke), soup, guacamole dip, a full plate of the entree, and a tamale dessert. Just having the fill I only ate some of the guac and chips and about 2 bites of the enchilada, but they were GREAT. They put out a plate for you with all the different sauces so you can taste them and find one that's not to mild or spicy :)

Will definitely look into staying in SD next time for a change up - now you folks who are staying in SD have to scope out THOSE restos too - with a fridge and micro in the room there, it will be great to bring something back!

The hotel deal sounds good. I have been staying in National City and renting a car when I go for a fill. I get my hotel room for free, so I will probably keep doing it that way. Walking across the border is pretty easy.

I agree-- Mole has better quality food than the Lucerna restaurants, and the prices were much better. I found the service to be lackluster at the Lucerna restaurant. Tortilla chips were burned, fajitas tough, and the waiter (when he could be found) was rather indifferent. He replaced my burned chips with chips that were even more burned. But, I was not in TJ for food, so did not complain.

Mole was recommended by my taxi driver, and had mostly locals eating there. That is a good sign of quality. Service was great too.

• 2 weeks later...

*********UPDATE*********

I had been given misinformation the about the cost of the airport shuttle to the motel - they charge $50 EACH WAY not round trip. As always, please call the hotel to verify all information is up to date as rates change depending on season and vacancy

The direct number to America's Best Value Inn is 619-690-2633, the name of the front desk supervisor is Mary Quintana.

Sorry about that! Here is a link to their website: America's Best Value Inn San Diego

• 2 weeks later...
*********UPDATE*********

I had been given misinformation the about the cost of the airport shuttle to the motel - they charge $50 EACH WAY not round trip. As always, please call the hotel to verify all information is up to date as rates change depending on season and vacancy

The direct number to America's Best Value Inn is 619-690-2633, the name of the front desk supervisor is Mary Quintana.

Sorry about that! Here is a link to their website: America's Best Value Inn San Diego

Well here's my two cents the hotel is pretty dumping, the van they sent to go to TJ that wasn't big enought to take all the people who had medical appts (the hotel picked me up from the airport in a larger van), My driver couldn't find the clinic we had to stop 3 different times for directions.

Mary was very rude to me at check. I had made my reservation with Mary and was quoted a price with hotel and transportation and Mary said get quoted the weekly rate. But, I had only ever made a reservation for one night and faxed a copy of my flight arrangement the day I scheduled. At one point she said she would cancel my return transportation to the airport. After much pain and suffering Mary finally honored the Rate of $116.77 for hotel and transportation.

Very unhappy in Washington.

Connie

Know before you go!

If your considering making reservations in San Diego at the Best Value Inn you should know that they will mislead you, quoting one price and charging another. :angry: I understand the place is not the best kept nor is it the cleanest. <_<

This is my personal opinion

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All, I just got back from my first fill in TJ and wanted to report on what I did for accomodation. I wanted to stay in San Ysidro to make it easy to get back to the airport but was concerned about the reviews of the Best Value Inn. I looked on the internet for other options and decided on the Travelodge. It was clean and the people were nice and it was 2 blocks from the San Ysidro trolley stop. The price was about the same as the Lucerna and it really isn't nearly as nice so I think next time I would just book a later flight home and stay at the Lucerna. The bus/trolley connections were really easy, I caught the 992 from the airport to America Plaza and then the trolley (blue line) to San Ysidro. Everything is well marked and efficient and it took about 1.5 hours start to finish. Of course if you stay in San Ysidro you are walking distance to the Las Americas factory outlet mall (75 stores) which may not be a big deal to those of you who live in the US and have lots of factory outlet malls but to those of us who are deprived Canadians it was a great shopping experience! :)

The fill itself was as easy as all have reported and the clinic as professional as always.

The other thing to look out for was that I made the mistake of walking across the border on a Friday which I understand is the busiest day and it meant standing in a line for 1.5 hours to get back....oh well, live and learn.

Ann

Hi All, I just got back from my first fill in TJ and wanted to report on what I did for accomodation. I wanted to stay in San Ysidro to make it easy to get back to the airport but was concerned about the reviews of the Best Value Inn. I looked on the internet for other options and decided on the Travelodge. It was clean and the people were nice and it was 2 blocks from the San Ysidro trolley stop. The price was about the same as the Lucerna...

Ann

Do San Diego rooms go up that much in price during the summer? I get my room at Super8 for free (using points), but in January the rooms were going for $44 per night, and now are about $72. Travelodges normally are under $60, but if you paid about the same as the Lucerna at $85.....thats a pretty stiff rate for that brand. HoJo in National City had a rate of $129 listed, which is real high for that chain.

I don't know the hotel market in San Diego, but it sure isn't the value it was during the winter.

I've booked the Holiday Inn - non-smoking, king bed, view - in National City for $119 through Orbitz next Friday night (June 22nd).

For a Holiday Inn, that rate seems an appropriate value. I have learned SD, like many areas, is a pretty high rent area in the summer. Other warm weather locations experience a mini 'off-season' during the hotter months, but a few buck the trend.

Do San Diego rooms go up that much in price during the summer? I get my room at Super8 for free (using points), but in January the rooms were going for $44 per night, and now are about $72. Travelodges normally are under $60, but if you paid about the same as the Lucerna at $85.....thats a pretty stiff rate for that brand. HoJo in National City had a rate of $129 listed, which is real high for that chain.

I don't know the hotel market in San Diego, but it sure isn't the value it was during the winter.

A FEW YEARS BACK WE WERE BOOKING 15 ROOMS FOR MY SON'S BASEBALL TEAM, THE MOST REASONABLE WE FOUND WAS $129.00 PER ROOM PER NIGHT AND THEY FILL UP FAST. OF COURSE THAT WAS IN THE HEART OF SAN DIEGO ALSO. AT BEST IT WAS A 2 1/2 STAR, JUST YOUR BASIC CLEAN ROOM WITH A CONTINENTAL BFAST, ABOUT LIKE THE LUCERNA

THEY RUN HUNDREDS OF ALL AGED BASEBALL TEAMS THRU THE TOWN ALL SUMMER

A FEW YEARS BACK WE WERE BOOKING 15 ROOMS FOR MY SON'S BASEBALL TEAM, THE MOST REASONABLE WE FOUND WAS $129.00 PER ROOM PER NIGHT AND THEY FILL UP FAST. OF COURSE THAT WAS IN THE HEART OF SAN DIEGO ALSO. AT BEST IT WAS A 2 1/2 STAR, JUST YOUR BASIC CLEAN ROOM WITH A CONTINENTAL BFAST, ABOUT LIKE THE LUCERNA

THEY RUN HUNDREDS OF ALL AGED BASEBALL TEAMS THRU THE TOWN ALL SUMMER

that makes sense......summer baseball camps, vacations, sea world

• 1 month later...