Carbonation question

GregNE

As I approach the six month post-op mark, I was wondering if anyone can share their experience with carbonated beverages after surgery. I have avoided carbonated beverages completely as instructed, having switched to diet green tea.

If you have resumed drinking soda or beer, have you had any difficulties?

Oh, Greg! Me too! My favorite drink is 'Diet Lipton Green Tea with Mixed Berry'...yumm! Since we had our surgeries on the same day, you know it's been almost 6 months for me as well. I have sipped a soda every now and then thinking I was craving one and found that I didn't want it for the mere reason that it makes me feel uncomfortable. The carbonation seems just too much for me...I drink it and, even in sips, I immediately feel like I need to burp and as though my band is full of little evil carbonation bubbles! lol I have a banded friend who drinks Diet Coke like it's water and she says she has no problem with this. Guess it depends on the individual. Staying away from carbonation to save the enamel on your teeth is another good reason to never pick up one again. According to my dentist anyway... :D

• 2 weeks later...

i have drank beer and diet coke since one month post-op. the diet coke is ok if i let it sit about 10 or 15 minutes first. beer goes down very easily for me if i sip - drinking contest days are way over!! i dont gulp or drink fast on anything but water and even that will sometimes gurgle around before it goes thru.

i do believe for each person it will be trial and error - some people can never drink these things again. just go slow and sip and see what happens.

Hi guys..

I am 8 months post-op and have a soda once in a while... those instant cappicinos are my down fall. but back to carbonation, I too drink them real slow... but i all honesty, they just don't taste the same any more.. either because we cannot gulp them or we are no longer use to the caronation taste.. by tongue buzzes with drinks I use to drink without the slightest notion they were that carbonated.. I guess everything in moderation

DONT TRY THIS UNTIL MONTHS POST OP

Tom

Hi guys..

I am 8 months post-op and have a soda once in a while... those instant cappicinos are my down fall. but back to carbonation, I too drink them real slow... but i all honesty, they just don't taste the same any more.. either because we cannot gulp them or we are no longer use to the caronation taste.. by tongue buzzes with drinks I use to drink without the slightest notion they were that carbonated.. I guess everything in moderation

DONT TRY THIS UNTIL MONTHS POST OP

Tom

My understanding was that carbonated beverages are best left alone forever. I remember reading that they can cause the band to slip, due to the gas, I suppose. Anyway..I just wonder why you want to tempt fate, after making such a huge investment in your health? I had my last carbonated drink on the plane to San Diego before surgery. I haven't really missed them so maybe that is why..Not that I don't miss other things sometimes...Anyway...everyone..be careful...Good Luck. Nita

My understanding was that carbonated beverages are best left alone forever. I remember reading that they can cause the band to slip, due to the gas, I suppose. Anyway..I just wonder why you want to tempt fate, after making such a huge investment in your health? I had my last carbonated drink on the plane to San Diego before surgery. I haven't really missed them so maybe that is why..Not that I don't miss other things sometimes...Anyway...everyone..be careful...Good Luck. Nita

The old advice was to avoid carbonation forever- as of my surgery date, Dr. Miranda had changed the restriction to 6 months (the post op instruction sheet actually had the words 'avoid forever' whited out and changed to 'avoid for 6 mo'.) But, I am in no hurry to try any soda soon.

It is similar to diabetes nutrition information-- in 2001 the ADA had a protein restriction limit. As of fall 2002, the protein limit was lifted, and methods of counting sugar was changed. And diabetic exchanges? They do not even teach food exchange points any longer in diabetic education (as of 2002). But, they still list diabetic exchange info on some foods, even though I have no clue what they mean.

The nutritional rules change regularly in both cases-- but unless people keep up with the changes, we only know what we were taught.

I'm with you Greg. If it is true that the carbonated beverages are okay now, I think I will still leave them alone. It is sooo difficult to keep up with everything that changes all the time with respect to diet and nutrition. I think that the things that work for me, I will continue. Guess the Drs. who decide these things like to keep us guessing!! Cheers. Nita

This was a guestion that we went back and forth on this forum awhile ago. It is ok to have bubbles if you want them after 6 months. I have been banded almost a year and i have had both beer and soda. It does not taste the same and also it seems to make a difference in how it reacts if is is out of a machine or a bottle. I like to try it every now and then but it just is not the same. The calories and gas are not worth the trouble and i can't eat for awhile after I drink carbonation so it is a waste. Tea is my new addiction for drinks. I saw that crystal lite just came out with fruit punch ya

This topic has been bothering me because i got to thinking everyone might be thinking i drink soda and beer everyday.... i wanted to clarify this.... i have been drinking these things since one month post op, but like others have posted - they just dont taste as good as before... when i drink soda it is not a full 12 oz. there is no way i could drink that much - usually it is just a few sips and then i lose all desire for it. as for beer, i try to avoid it but will have one once or twice a month and only one which takes a very long to time to drink. i much prefer alcoholic drinks like rum and punch or rum and crystal lite - which i have at happy hour every friday.

It is hard to describe how something you once couldnt get enough of ( for me it was reeses cups where i could eat a whole big bag) and now just a normal size or maybe king size on a bad day during pms takes care of the reeses cravings. I have no desire to eat chocolate everyday and i use to have to have it.

I try to keep things as normal as possible as before the surgery and just eat much less of everything. this is life changing and i want to love my band and be glad i did this. so far i couldnt be happier!

kim

This topic has been bothering me because i got to thinking everyone might be thinking i drink soda and beer everyday....

kim

Yes, I thought you were a lush. :blink: LOL....just kidding. I had a sample of beer (about 2 oz) and it went fine. I am not a beer drinker anyway, so I have avoided it. Vodka and Tequila go down fine for me :blink:

I tried a diet Pepsi a few days ago, and it seemed fine, but the carbonation caused a lot of belching. I am so happy with Lipton Diet Green Tea Mixed Berry or citrus, so I will continue my soda abstinence for the most part.

A nice glass of Sauvinon Vouvray goes down just fine too.

Cheers!

Yes, I thought you were a lush. :blink: LOL....just kidding. I had a sample of beer (about 2 oz) and it went fine. I am not a beer drinker anyway, so I have avoided it. Vodka and Tequila go down fine for me :blink:

I tried a diet Pepsi a few days ago, and it seemed fine, but the carbonation caused a lot of belching. I am so happy with Lipton Diet Green Tea Mixed Berry or citrus, so I will continue my soda abstinence for the most part.

Cheers!

Carbonation Question

Cheers!

Cheers!

I am at the 6 month mark right now... After being a raging "Pepsiholic" for years I am avoiding Pepsi like the plague (the fat under my skin is probably carbonated!)... I have tried a little diet Pepsi, I could not drink much because the burps were horrible, not really worth it.... So, I stick to tea (Gold Peak, made by Coke, is wonderful - btw) and the occasional glass of Moscato d'Asti is about the only slighly carbonated thing I drink.

Greg,

I have to admit I drink diet coke almost daily. I consume about 12 oz a day. As we head into the summer months its nice to have some on hand in the fridge. I drink it slooooooooowwllyyy. I take a drink and almost (I know this may sound gross to some) swish it around my mouth like mouthwash to get as much carbonation out of it before swallowing and to basically enjoy that tingling cold in my mouth. Then I just swallow a bit at a time until my mouth is empty. I rarely burp or feel fullness from it because I'll wait another 10 to 20 minutes before taking another drink. Also having it on ice in a glass seems to help as it dilutes it and diminishes the carbonation.

After that being said it may not be to ones advantage to drink carbonated fluids. One report I saw indicated that the gas in the carbonation works against you by pushing outward on your little pouch stomach when it enters and can dilate it making it larger. This is hearsay but sounds very credible.

I am three weeks post op yesterday... YEAH!!! I was a diet coke junkie prior to surgery (at least 3 Super Big Gulps a day). I am craving diet coke so badly and just want to take a couple of sips. Can I do major harm to my band if I do that?? I'm thinking (and hoping) that if I just take a couple sips and get it out of my system, that the "urge" will go away. I don't plan to drink more than a few sips. I will never be back to my "junkie" ways. HA!!!

Thoughts??

I admit, I'm just 10 weeks post op and I've had a couple of carbonated beverages (and literally, a couple - 2). I didn't drink a lot nor did I have any problems. I haven't had a real fill yet (first one was too much) so that might change after tomorrow!!

• 2 weeks later...
I am so happy with Lipton Diet Green Tea Mixed Berry or citrus, so I will continue my soda abstinence for the most part.

Cheers!

Have you tried their white tea with Raspberry? It is really good too!

I have been drinking the different Lipton tea's as well. Thank god I found a substitute for diet Pepsi. In all honesty, I think beer will be the thing I miss the most (I was a home brewer) but it's worth the sacrifice because I won't miss being fat....

As far as the wine goes, I started working to acquire a taste for wine about 6 months before the surgery (I never really liked it) and now I find my palate is developing an apprication for the nuances in wine that I was never able to notice before.

I have not had any yet though, I figure I will wait till at least 4 weeks after my surgery to have any alcohol at all.

I wish I would of known not to try that damn little piece of fish though, now I am fearing band slippage. (who would of thought such a tiny thing could cause so much discomfort)