I'm in beginning stage of being banded

Hi,

I am in the beginning stages of the lap banding process and have my first meeting with a nutritionist in a few weeks, followed by other appointments to prepare for the surgery. Did anyone not tell family members or friends they were having the surgery? I am hoping to find some support from the people in my life, but I fear that most of them are judgmental and think that this surgery is the easy way out (it isn't!). I need to find someone other than my 11 year old daughter to talk to and find support from. I am a single mom. I live in the Twin Cities and posted an ad for a post op lap band volunteer to be a support to me during the preparation and post surgery. Any advice or input you have would be appreciated. Thanks. Laura

Hi,

I am in the beginning stages of the lap banding process and have my first meeting with a nutritionist in a few weeks, followed by other appointments to prepare for the surgery. Did anyone not tell family members or friends they were having the surgery? I am hoping to find some support from the people in my life, but I fear that most of them are judgmental and think that this surgery is the easy way out (it isn't!). I need to find someone other than my 11 year old daughter to talk to and find support from. I am a single mom. I live in the Twin Cities and posted an ad for a post op lap band volunteer to be a support to me during the preparation and post surgery. Any advice or input you have would be appreciated. Thanks. Laura

Hi,

I haven't had the band yet but I am all approved and I just need to pick a date when I can get the procedure done. I havent picked a date because I am in college and am waiting for this semester to get over with. My mom is also planning on having the lap band as well but has yet to be approved. My family on my Mom's side is very supportive because a few of them have had the gastric bypass and know that surgery is not the easy way out like many people think. My family on my dad's side is a total different story. My mom and I do not want them to know what we are doing because they are the type of people to make us feel like its the easy way out and just put us down. I think family should be supportive no matter what but what can you do? Its hard not telling them and not being able to talk to them about what we are doing but at least i have my family on my moms side. I have also not told any of my friends because I am afraid they will think the same way. Although there is 1 that i am plannin on telling after i get it done and I know she will be supportive because I have known her for over 10 years. I hope this helps and feel free to ask me any more questions or just to talk!

Hi,

I have to tell you honestly, I only told my children, husband and Mother, and the only reason I told my Mom is because I really needed her to take my 4 kids while my husband and I were in TJ. lol I work in the medical field so I knew I couldnt tell anyone at work,I did however tell them after. And as I expected, there was a lot of "are you crazy? MEXICO? thats like a third world country, bad news going there" Of course the Doctors were the worst ones, they just couldnt get their heads around the fact that someone from the states would go to Mexico for surgery. I just dont understand that way of thinking. Dr Ortiz was trained in the US and Trains in the US! I guess people think you dont do your homework and just wake up one day and say "Hey, I think I will open a Tijuana phone book, point my finger and whichever Doctor it lands on thats the one Im going to let cut my body open and stick a foreign object around my stomach all in the name of losing weight." That is just so crazy, I hope everyone does their homework, no matter who or where they decide to have this done. This is your choice and you only HAVE to answer to YOU!

Hi,

I can totally relate to not telling your family. The only family member I told was my ex-sister-in-law before I went down, incase something happened. After a month I ended up telling my mom. Just this past month I told my sister. But those are the only people that know. I hate feeling like a guinea pig, with everyone staring at you to see if you have lost weight. Or feeling the pressure of waiting for someone to compliment you on weight loss. Family is truly important, but you have to find the strength within yourself. If you can find a support person than good.