antidepresants

You may have aproblem right after surgery getting the pill down since you will be so swollen and then it iwll be tougher to get them down as you get your fills. It all depends on the fill level you have. I'm at 1.5 cc's and a tylenol makes me PB so I now take liquid tylenol. Or you may be able to take them, everyone is different. I was on anti depressants but as I started losing weight, I know longer needed to take them. my depression went away as I lost weight. THe anti depressant waswhere I gained so much of my weight from in the first place..Catch 22 I guess

Here is a thought.... maybe the depression problem you are having is directly related to the weight issue. Therefore, by losing the weight you are no longer needing to take anti depressants. I wasn't on any medication but maybe should have. Once the weight started coming off.... my moods were MUCH better.

Wow! Just before deciding to get the surgery I almost got on Wellbutrin to help me lose weight. The doctor said it might help because a side effect was weight loss and since I do have some depression (no doubt due to my weight, I was fine until I gained so much) I would be a good candidate for it. I'm going this route instead. I'm reading Dr. Ortiz's book right now and I am confident this is the way for me.

As far as taking the Wellbutrin, check with Dr. Ortiz and the doctor that prescribed it to you. I've read that if you crush or break some pills before ingesting them they could be very harmful. I don't know if Wellbutrin is one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

Just wanted to let my fellow bandsters know that the Wellbutrin 300 XL that I take is time-released. Don't ever break it in two or crush it. That would increase the speed it is absorbed and put you at risk for seizures.

I was on Zoloft for 3 years and it was Dr. Miranda that suggested I ask my Primary Dr. For Wellbutrin because it has helped to curb appetites, and it controls compulsive eating. ( It has been used to help people stop smoking too.) It works well for me, I have never had a problem taking it. I have a fill of 2ccs in my band and I will have another fill on Sept 22 here in FLorida. I have lost about 30 of the 60 pounds that I need to lose.

I am eternally grateful for the excellent care while in TJ and the skill of Drs. Ortiz, Martinez, and Miranda. They are all terrific. I am a success! I have the knowledge that the weight will be off permanently, other times I knew deep down that I would gain it back. Never again! I have hope for the first time. It sure feels good!

Julie

Dunedin, FLorida

I will be banded on Sept 13th and I take effexor xr capsules. I talked with Dr. Ortiz about them and he said that I should be able to still swallow them. I think I maybe don't understand how tight the band will be because I have heard other people post that they take liquid tylenol, etc. Can someone explain to me if the pills are supposed to go through the pouch to the rest of the stomach, or can they stay in the pouch and get absorbed? I am concerned about not being able to swallow them right after being banded. It can really mess you up to even miss one dose!

Thanks,

Leah

I can swallow my pills fine now but, had to crush them for the first 2 weeks. Just be sure to take them as scheduled because I had some problems when I didn't. They changed me from Paxil to Wellbutrin because Dr's in Mexico said Paxil caused weight gain, that's probablly what cause the problems for me.