WHAT DOES P-BING MEAN??????

<_< I am reading several topics and discussions where 'p-bing' is mentioned. I don't know what that means. Is that a reaction from eating w/out chewing? HEEEEEEELP! What can I do to avoid this issue also? Gimme ALL THE INFO BANDERS! Thanx all........ I am so excited. I even have my first fill scheduled in July............ after my May 16th band w/Ortiz! Yay!

talk to you all soon,

Cheryl B)

<_< I am reading several topics and discussions where 'p-bing' is mentioned. I don't know what that means. Is that a reaction from eating w/out chewing? HEEEEEEELP! What can I do to avoid this issue also? Gimme ALL THE INFO BANDERS! Thanx all........ I am so excited. I even have my first fill scheduled in July............ after my May 16th band w/Ortiz! Yay!

talk to you all soon,

Cheryl B)

Hi Cheryl,

From what I have read, PBing is Productive Burping when something gets stuck and wants to come back up. Almost and possibly to the point of throwing up...YUCK! I never want to experience that at all! Especially at work...yipes!

Hope this helps clear it up for ya!

Judy(your fellow PDX soon-to-be bandster friend) ;)

PBing is when you eat too big of a bite, don't chew enough, basically you get a chunk of food stuck in the band. It hurts very badly! The worst feeling ever! Sometimes the food comes up, sometimes it takes hours to pass. Best way to avoid it is to eat TINY bites very very slowly, like chewing each tiny bite 20 times.

After my second fill which created great restriction, I PB'd almost every day until I figured out what I could/could not eat etc.. Now maybe once a week if I take a huge bite without thinking. You'll learn! The band definitely serves its' purpose!!

Karen

talk to you all soon,

Cheryl B)

Dr. Miranda referred to PB'ing as productive barfing, or pre-barfing. PB is used as it sounds much less graphic.

talk to you all soon,

Cheryl B)

I can tell you exactly what not to do.I was banded 4/9/07.I followed every rule. I lost 30lbs so far. I love the band.but one day in fact my first day on solids i thought I was chewing well and taking small bites , however theband thought diffrent. I had such a painful experience waiting for the food to pass through the band.Until finally pbing gross. after I felt better and was afraid to eat after that. Now I make my plate like a 1 yr old litterally . Everything is arounnd the size of my pinky :unsure:

><' Thank you everyone for this useful info............. I JUST got Dr. Ortiz 'Lapband for Life' book delivered today.......... So I will be reading quite a bit before my surgery. ((IN EXACTLY TWO WEEKS!!! YAY! )) Chew to goo will be forever stuck in my head. I am a faaaaast eater and am nervous that I will make that same mistake. I need to wear a t-shirt with the 'goo' logo on it or something till it's just a normal part of my routine........... :lol:

Take care all.............. Everyone on here so far has been wonderful!

Cheryl

When my fill was too tight I was PBing EVERYTHING - chewing things up wasn't even an option since even water wasn't going down.

IMO, it's not an "easy" barf like I've seen others explain it - it's just a regular old throwing up but IME, you just do it once and when you get whatever's stuck, that's it.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't PB'ed yet, but I have been at the point where I wished I COULD just to get past the pain! Getting food stuck HURTS. :(( You will most likely get food stuck at some point. It's SO hard to break the "stuffing your face" syndrome. I did fine right after surgery, but as I got more comfortable with the band, I guess my bites got bigger, and I chewed less. One thing I can tell you...BE CAREFUL WITH CHICKEN. It almost ALWAYS gets stuck with me. I think if I put it in a blender, and sucked it through a straw it would still get stuck. It just doesn't agree with me! I've heard lot's of other people say they have trouble with it too, so just be careful.

One thing that helps me A LOT...if I get something stuck, I start walking. I think it kinda helps it to go down. Whatever you do...DO NOT TAKE A DRINK! It will FEEL like it will HELP to wash it down, but NO WAY! IT hurts TWICE as bad, and you will most likely PB. You'll figure these things out as they happen. Just remember, this is a new thing for your body, and old habits die hard. Don't panic if something get's stuck, take long deep breaths, and try to walk as much as possible. I had gotten past all that until my fill last Friday, now I'm having to learn it all over again! LOL

Hope this helps!

Donna

I DON'T THINK I'LL EVER FORGET THE FIRST TIME SOMETHING GOT STUCK. IT HURT LIKE HELL. I WAS RUNNING, WALKING, SWINGING MY ARMS, UP AND DOWN THE STAIRS, ROOM TO ROOM, JUST MOVING LIKE A CRAZY PERSON TO GET IT TO GO DOWN LOL OH THE MEMORIES LOL :rolleyes:

I DON'T THINK I'LL EVER FORGET THE FIRST TIME SOMETHING GOT STUCK. IT HURT LIKE HELL. I WAS RUNNING, WALKING, SWINGING MY ARMS, UP AND DOWN THE STAIRS, ROOM TO ROOM, JUST MOVING LIKE A CRAZY PERSON TO GET IT TO GO DOWN LOL OH THE MEMORIES LOL :rolleyes:

LOL, I know what you mean! My hubby asked me why I kept going up and down the stairs in our house, and I said, "I'm TRYING to get this food Down!" Of course it certainly doesn't help for them to put their two cents in, when something like that happens! He said, "you need to quit eating so fast." EATING FAST???? I was ready to strangle HIM so he could experience what I was FEELING!! LOL :angry:

Donna

LOL, I know what you mean! My hubby asked me why I kept going up and down the stairs in our house, and I said, "I'm TRYING to get this food Down!" Of course it certainly doesn't help for them to put their two cents in, when something like that happens! He said, "you need to quit eating so fast." EATING FAST???? I was ready to strangle HIM so he could experience what I was FEELING!! LOL :angry:

Donna

LOL THAT'S FUNNY LOL

Donna

So true about not drinking after eating. For me, if I drink too soon after a meal, my stomach starts making these loud gurgling noises. My doc says to wait an hour after eating before drinking.

Recently I woke up early, ate breakfast, and, without thinking, I took a drink of water, then I got back in bed with my husband thinking mabe we could be intimate when he woke-up. As I lay in bed, my stomach started gurgling so loudly that it woke-up my husband! Talk about N-O-T sexy. I laid there with my gurgling stomach for about 15 minutes. I finally couldn't stand it any more so I got up and started running the stairs - up and down about 5 times. I was huffing and puffing so I rested before I returned to bed so my loud breathing wouldn't re-awaken my husband. When I got back in bed, my stomach had completely stopped gurgling - it was silent! I knew that exercise helped food pass, but I didn't know it stopped the gurgles, too. I'll have to remember this remedy in case I ever have an attack of the embarrassing gurgles again. Rachelle

talk to you all soon,

Cheryl B)

Cheryl --

PB'ing is def. a euphemism for vomiting. I "PB'd" on Saturday for the first (and LAST) time.

I was starving and at too large a piece of baked, skinless, boneless chicken breast. Holy crap!

I had trouble breathing, a huge pain in my chest (all symptoms I would normally call 9-1-1 for),

before it all + came back up. Thank GOD I wasnt in public. I will NEVER do that again. You

really really really must chew your food.

When looking up euphemism for spelling, I thought - yup, this says it all:

eu

Just bumping this post for the newbies! :)

Donna

BUMP again!

Just bumping this post for the newbies! :)

Donna

My experience is when food gets stuck, I can do the burp and what is stuck will come up. It does not work for just over eating and having that stuffed feeling unless you just eat too much for the band. You can only hold so much, so different than before when you could still eat when you are full.

When food is stuck, your salvia will not go down. That's the clear fuild that comes up until you can get the food up. If you try to not let this fluid come up when something is stuck, it collects in the spot before the band. When it collects and you don't let it come up, it will cause chest pains. Then you get all nervous and it gets worse.

And the deal about walking, I know what you mean. I think that while sitting the diagram area is compressed and does not let food pass as easily. That's the bad thing about eating out, if you get up and walk, the only place to go is the restroom. I feel like the people I'm eating with think that I'm going to puck my food while I'm just allowing my food to go down.

While at home, I'm usually doing something while I'm eating to keep me busy so I don't eat so fast. While eating out, there's nothing to do but eat or talk. Usually being on my lunch hour, we are limited in time. I need a 2 hour lunch break.

Kathy

banded 10-9-06

top weight 241

current weight 180

• 8 months later...

I JUST had that happen to me, and I was thumbing through websites with tips to help. The pain is not completely gone yet, but wow- it was by far the worst pain ever. I was so excited about eating, I just ate too fast. I will never do that again. I felt like I had to vomit, but when I did, nothing came up.

My goodness... I never ever want to feel that again...

Never!!!

My experience is when food gets stuck, I can do the burp and what is stuck will come up. It does not work for just over eating and having that stuffed feeling unless you just eat too much for the band. You can only hold so much, so different than before when you could still eat when you are full.

When food is stuck, your salvia will not go down. That's the clear fuild that comes up until you can get the food up. If you try to not let this fluid come up when something is stuck, it collects in the spot before the band. When it collects and you don't let it come up, it will cause chest pains. Then you get all nervous and it gets worse.

And the deal about walking, I know what you mean. I think that while sitting the diagram area is compressed and does not let food pass as easily. That's the bad thing about eating out, if you get up and walk, the only place to go is the restroom. I feel like the people I'm eating with think that I'm going to puck my food while I'm just allowing my food to go down.

While at home, I'm usually doing something while I'm eating to keep me busy so I don't eat so fast. While eating out, there's nothing to do but eat or talk. Usually being on my lunch hour, we are limited in time. I need a 2 hour lunch break.

Kathy

banded 10-9-06

top weight 241

current weight 180

Hello,

I was going to post a new post when I saw this one already going so figured I should just post here. My esophagus and tummy are really sore right now. I was out with my friend earlier this morning to get Starbucks(my love), and knew I was hungry and got a toasted hawaiian bagel w/cream cheese. I knew I couldn't eat anything that heavy in the mornings, but would try to at least eat half of a half. Well, I was really hungry and was taking bigger bites than I should and by the third bite, I KNEW I should have stopped because it was starting to slow way down when I swallowed. But, I took the last couple bites and that about did me in. I started to get pain and burning and never got to touch my nonfat coffee. I got the pain in my chest that poked in my back and I got out of the car and spit and walked around. MY friend was so worried about me, but she totally understood what was going on because I had told her everything about the band and restriction etc.

I should have let it come up, but refused. As we were on the freeway to an appt. that I tagged along on, she asked me if I was ok. Well, I was and wasn't and then, I started shaking and almost hurled in her car. But, I made it without having to do that. I know that I should have but really was scared to. About slipping the band and any other damage I could do.

Now I know that most people cannot eat breads or pasta, etc., but that has never been the case for me. I know how to chew really well, but since my last fill a couple weeks ago, I am still learning. THE HARD WAY! ugh!

I NEVER EVER want to experience that again. The first time was a few days after knee surgery and was so hungry that I tried to eat a half a PB sandwich. I was laying up in bed watching tv. Yeah, I took a couple bites and jumped out of the bed because my mouth was watering and the pain was awful. That really scared me, but I got nowhere near throwing up that time. This time was SO worse.

So, mental note - no bread or undertoasted bread too early in the morning. Probably nothing else either until later. ;)

Take care all,

Judy