For New Bandsters..

Surgery 8/24/05......I've had so much jello and broth, finally, I got some fat free cool-whip and put some on my jello, OMG, sooooo good! I squish it very good so there won't be any chunks when I swallow. Tomorrow I can have some yogurt and maybe a little cottage cheese, can't wait. It's hard to even watch TV anymore because of all of the food commercials. I'm trying to get out and walk but bad weather has set in so guess I'll try to just go up and the steps and walk inside my house.

Any other suggestions for eating are welcome!

P.S. I would love to talk to anyone banded 8/23, 8/24, or 8/25 to see how all of you are doing. I met many of you while in TJ but if I didn't write down your names I can't remember all of them. I do remember Jessie, QueenBee, Dawn, Catherine, Kelly (& Sarah). There are a couple others that I met but just can't remember the names or maybe never knew them. In case you don't remember me, my name is Carolyn, age 50+, there with my husband Bill.

I was banded on 8/23/05, I am losing just started yogurt today and some cottage cheese. It was so good. I am still in a bit of pain below the port incision. Are you? I just don't know if it is normal or not. Different things seem to bring on the pain.

Thanks,

Lisa

Lisa,

I think that's pretty normal. It seems like every night since my surgery I wake up during the night with uncontrolable coughing. That kills my port incision! Then yesterday I sneezed for the first time, OUCH! :o So don't get too scared about your incisions still being uncomfortable because I think it takes a while before the sensitivity wears off. Good luck! :D

Banded 8/23 & Yeh, I am very sick of broth & jello. I was so weak from the lack of protien I had a half of a Yoplait fat free yogurt and that made me feel a lot better. I've now been having 1 a day in 2 sittings and I'm not as weak and tired as I was. I started a couple days early, but I really needed something cuz the broth just didn't cut it! I don't suggest anyone going against Dr's orders - I personally knew I needed a little more or I was going to pass out!

Does your bottom tummy growl even if you feel full? I can't get over that. I feel full but my stomach's still growling for food...guess that's a mental thing?

And oh yes, for some reason I have more pain in my port area (inside) then the day after surgery. It could be from running up and downs stairs at my house - I don't know, but it does hurt pretty bad at times. As long as I walk slow and sit a little hunched over it doesn't bother me. It just feels like when I was pregnant and my baby had her knee up in my ribs. If I move too quickly, I have bad pain like a ripping/burning feeling inside where my port is - I'm presuming because the internal stitches aren't fully healed yet. I'm hoping in the next few weeks after it heals inside it doesn't cause me too much discomfort...

Not gonna deny it... the post op diet sucks. All I can say is try and take it one day at a time. The first 4 weeks are a killer, but you CAN get through it. It is the most important healing time.

As for the port pain... totally normal. I had some major discomfort for the first 6 weeks. I sat leaning into the port side with a pillow and that helped A LOT. Also the heating pad made it feel better. I always felt like the band was going to just fall out and pop out of the port area. It does get better with time.