Why does restriction vary?

NoWorry

I have to confess that I simply don't get it. The one constant theme throughout this forum is that restriction varies significantly from day to day and even from morning to night. What causes the variance? Why can a patient not even sip water in the morning, but can feel no restriction in the evening? Does the band's restriction change? Does the stomach change? I had originally thought of the band as a valve that simply reduces the passage of food from the pouch to the stoma. I visualized an hour glass. But an hour glass is constant; time doesn't speed up in the evenings and slow down in the mornings! How come the band does? If anyone understands this, I would really appreciate an explanation.

Sanjay

It is an hourglass of sorts, but this hourglass is made of living tissue that expands and contracts. Oftentimes the tissue in the stomach will be slightly inflamed for one reason or another in the morning and that causes people to feel more restricted in the am. Nothing major to worry about, just learn to work around it.

It is an hourglass of sorts, but this hourglass is made of living tissue that expands and contracts. Oftentimes the tissue in the stomach will be slightly inflamed for one reason or another in the morning and that causes people to feel more restricted in the am. Nothing major to worry about, just learn to work around it.

Great Question, and Good explaination Clynn. However, I do think it is major! - and something I certaintly worry about. You cannot possibly "work" around certain situations. When you have good restriction for 3 weeks, then, it's completely gone and you can eat anything and a lot of it, or you cannot even drink water after 3 weeks of getting a fill, because the band tightens on you, it gets almost impossible to determine a correct level of fill. It has been very extreme for me, (one way or the other). Everyone is different. I have had my share of struggles. I am still working things out though.

Teri

You cannot possibly "work" around certain situations. When you have good restriction for 3 weeks, then, it's completely gone and you can eat anything and a lot of it, or you cannot even drink water after 3 weeks of getting a fill, because the band tightens on you, it gets almost impossible to determine a correct level of fill. It has been very extreme for me, (one way or the other). Everyone is different. I have had my share of struggles. I am still working things out though.

I am impressed that you're still so positive, Teri. In your place, I would be looking for some satisfactory explanation for the dramatic variances you are experiencing. And it's not like fills, unfills and adjustments are easily accessible that you can just make changes at the drop of a hat. I don't know if this question is appropriate, but why aren't you demanding a more satisfactory explanation?

I am impressed that you're still so positive, Teri. In your place, I would be looking for some satisfactory explanation for the dramatic variances you are experiencing. And it's not like fills, unfills and adjustments are easily accessible that you can just make changes at the drop of a hat. I don't know if this question is appropriate, but why aren't you demanding a more satisfactory explanation?

First off, about being positive...........what good would it do me mentally to be negative, and I dont need to be or feel the negativity in my life, because it would bring me down and affect all areas of my life. I am definatly looking for an explanation. I have been in contact with Dr. Romero. He assures me he will "fix" it. I choose to believe him because of their high standards on helping people. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. It's certainly a pain having to take a day to travel, regardless if your flying or driving. Even though I havent worked outside the home for about 10 years, I am the CEO of my household, heehehe, and still have a lot to do with my husband's business, running errands, driving kids, baseball, etc. For me, keeping positive is the only way to look at it right now.

Having said that..........I am starting to experience a knawing inside. It's hard to explain. I'm embarrased about my lack of weight loss around certain people I've told about the surgery. When you see them, they look as though they have the question of hmmmmm................I thought she had surgery for weight loss. Having to constantly explain my fill levels have been up and down is getting old. I'm trying to understand, so it's hard for them to understand as well.

It doesnt help at all, when I thought I had the perfect amount "pegged"when I was filled to 2.65 (thicker saline), went for an unfill from not being able to drink water, and they pulled out a full 3cc. (NOT OCC) That was HARD on me. I was so scared and a little ticked, because I was still charged for an unfill along with paying for a shot for being swollen. People are still human. I have to hang on to hope right now that this is going to work for me. I have not exhausted all possiblities since I have .5cc left to get to 4cc. with the regular saline. Since changing back to the reg saline, the dramatic variances have gone away. The choice to use the thicker saline at the high fill levels was a wrong one for me. But it was a choice I made, lived with it, and will move on and learn from it.

Teri

Teri,

You seem on target for approx 1lb/week since your 1st fill in Dec - yeah, 20 would be exactly 1lb per week but you are close. Esp for a lower bmi person - and hopefully that means you can eat some real food and are not starving all the time. The slow and steady not too much pbing usually wins the lapband race. Also, are you at 3.5cc and not feeling restriction? I know what you mean about it changing (the restriction) - I am now super tight during the entire day but then can eat quite a bit in the evening - once it starts going in - it is hard to stop grazing! Anyway, also you know the band can't do all the work blah blah - I am one year earlier then you on surgery and have lost 16lbs total.

Don't let the number(s) become your only focus.

Great Question, and Good explaination Clynn. However, I do think it is major! - and something I certaintly worry about. You cannot possibly "work" around certain situations. When you have good restriction for 3 weeks, then, it's completely gone and you can eat anything and a lot of it, or you cannot even drink water after 3 weeks of getting a fill, because the band tightens on you, it gets almost impossible to determine a correct level of fill. It has been very extreme for me, (one way or the other). Everyone is different. I have had my share of struggles. I am still working things out though.

Teri

• 4 weeks later...

Having been "filled" since May 24th - I def. feel restriction - and I am more restriced in the

morning. I solve this by drinking a cup of black coffee - it seems to "grease the skids".

This is graphic, as most bodily function discussions are, but I have allergies and frankly,

I believe my pouch is filled with congestion. The heat of the liquid helps that.

Having said that, I am trying to strike a delicate balance, as I have now PB'd 3 times. I swore

to myself (and on this board) that I wouldnt - and well, I was wrong. You MUST chew your food

a LOT for it to go down. I obviously have not done this ever in my life, which is why I'm this heavy - and its def. a change for me -- but the latest PB was a few hours ago and I have been

a bit sore since. I can only imagine that I'm swollen, and I'm trying to be better.

It seems so simple, but obviously, for me, old habits die hard. The only thing that comforts me is

that I'm petrified I'll slip it, so I think I'll be better from here on out.

Am I upset about it ? No. I'm mad at myself for not having the sense to slow the heck down, even

tho my life is crazy and running at very high speed. I must insist that I come first.

Just my 2 cents !

Best of luck to all !

Lisa

Teri, I admire your patience! :) I've been bouncing up and down with 2 pounds this past week, and it's REALLY TICKING ME OFF!! LOL But, I know I need another fill. I think it is a lot trickier for women as far as fills are concerned. We have to deal with the dreaded TOM. I have to say, that I DEFINITELY notice a HUGE difference then. I get so tight, I can scarcely eat ANYTHING, but after it's over, Katie bar the door!

As far as tightness in the AM. I would think that your stomach, being an organ much like any other in the human body, probably retains water like any other. How many of you can say when you wake up in the AM, that your hands/feet/ankles feel swollen, or just a bit "tighter" due to a retention of water overnight? I can certainly say that my hands DEFINITELY are different in the AM. Ever tried to write something neatly after waking up? Hard for me to do. I can only think that your stomach in fact swells to an extent, just like any other part of the body, so in the AM you have more restriction, because the stoma would be smaller due to the swelling. When it wakes up, things tend to go down easier. Thus being the reason for the change in restriction throughout the day.

That's just my theory....

If the stomach swells/retains fluid during that time of the month, why wouldn't it also do the same overnight?

Donna :-?

Having been "filled" since May 24th - I def. feel restriction - and I am more restriced in the

morning. I solve this by drinking a cup of black coffee - it seems to "grease the skids".

This is graphic, as most bodily function discussions are, but I have allergies and frankly,

I believe my pouch is filled with congestion. The heat of the liquid helps that.

In "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies," the authors strongly recommend driking a hot beverage in the morning to expand the stoma (although their explanation is a little less graphic that "grease the skids" :lol: )

In "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies," the authors strongly recommend driking a hot beverage in the morning to expand the stoma (although their explanation is a little less graphic that "grease the skids" :lol: )

That is why I always drink my coffee with non-dairy french vanilla coffee mate creamer in the morning like I always have, but less of it. I even have my little 8oz starbucks coffee sometimes. :) I used to only drink a grande two pump nonfat mocha, but can't handle a grande or a tall anymore.

Dr. Miranda told me about drinking the coffee w/non-dairy creamer or tea in the morning to open things up some. So, I knew then I could still have my coffee but less of it, of course. ;)

I need to get that book too NoWorry. Did you find it online or at a store?

Thanks,

Judy

Teri, I admire your patience! :) I've been bouncing up and down with 2 pounds this past week, and it's REALLY TICKING ME OFF!! LOL But, I know I need another fill. I think it is a lot trickier for women as far as fills are concerned. We have to deal with the dreaded TOM. I have to say, that I DEFINITELY notice a HUGE difference then. I get so tight, I can scarcely eat ANYTHING, but after it's over, Katie bar the door!

As far as tightness in the AM. I would think that your stomach, being an organ much like any other in the human body, probably retains water like any other. How many of you can say when you wake up in the AM, that your hands/feet/ankles feel swollen, or just a bit "tighter" due to a retention of water overnight? I can certainly say that my hands DEFINITELY are different in the AM. Ever tried to write something neatly after waking up? Hard for me to do. I can only think that your stomach in fact swells to an extent, just like any other part of the body, so in the AM you have more restriction, because the stoma would be smaller due to the swelling. When it wakes up, things tend to go down easier. Thus being the reason for the change in restriction throughout the day.

That's just my theory....

If the stomach swells/retains fluid during that time of the month, why wouldn't it also do the same overnight?

Donna :-?

Thank you for your admiration. I'm starting to get ticked off. You know the saying, "it's easier to spend someone else's money". Although I have contributed to the majority of our investments, through land deals, etc., this surgery for Kyle and I was spent from my hubbys hard work. So, I feel terrible for him. I was pissed this morning when I woke up and felt that awful feeling of fat, so weighed myself, and sure enough gained 3 pounds. My eating habits are the same. Still can eat lots. Bummer yet again. Oh well, still hoping to get back to TJ for some much needed advice and fill. Blah blah ba ba ba blah. I've read and read and read till I'm literally blue in the face, or red for that matter and I'm getting tired of the same old crap. I hate going through a fill and thinking, this one is going to give me the restriction I need to get started, then, it either doesnt last or it's to much. It's so annoying a few weeks later to get let down. :angry: Teri

I ordered it from Amazon, along with Dr. Ortiz's "Lap-Band for Life" when I originally booked my surgery. Just remember, it covers all WLS, including RNY, so you have to skim the by-pass advice and pick out the Band advice. O's book was very helpful pre-op and describing the op, but is very weak when it comes to post-op (especially long-term post-op) information.

You should be able to find Dummies at any (big) local bookstore - I saw it at B&N. O's book is very hard to find (it was unavailable even in the OCC eStore).

Where to i get that book I'm having surgery 6-25-07. I am so confused is restriction good is it bad. :unsure: Ithough i would need restriction so that i feel full. HELP ANYONE

Where to i get that book I'm having surgery 6-25-07. I am so confused is restriction good is it bad. :unsure: Ithough i would need restriction so that i feel full. HELP ANYONE

You WANT restriction...it is good! Restriction is what keeps you from overeating! :)

Donna

I recieved a fill(my second) on may 21st and it was a 1 cc bringing me to 2.6cc and boy do I have restriction- I now know what first bite syndrome really is....definatly need to drink liquids for me in the morning - sometimes all I have is a protien shake and then for lunch I try a little salad but if I even feel that rock feeling I stop and switch to soup - Dinner is slow for me - I start with something mushy usually cottage cheese- and work other foods into it - chicken with lots of sauce on it- usually salsa it really helps the food go down easier - I don't have a problem with water going down so I really don't feel that my fill is too much - but I definatly am eating diffrent than prior to 5-21 -----i took my scale for a week weighed exactly the same when I got back on it yesterday morning 203.8 but got on it this moring and it was 202.4 - so I think I may be adjusting to this fill of what I can eat and not - I actualy PB'd yesterday TUNA ---which I have done b4 so guess what I can't eat TUNA lesson learned ----till next time

Cyndi

I ordered it from Amazon, along with Dr. Ortiz's "Lap-Band for Life" when I originally booked my surgery. Just remember, it covers all WLS, including RNY, so you have to skim the by-pass advice and pick out the Band advice. O's book was very helpful pre-op and describing the op, but is very weak when it comes to post-op (especially long-term post-op) information.

You should be able to find Dummies at any (big) local bookstore - I saw it at B&N. O's book is very hard to find (it was unavailable even in the OCC eStore).

IIRC, they are no longer printing it as he is writing another version. I bought mine at Amazon but that was 6+ months ago.

IIRC, they are no longer printing it as he is writing another version. I bought mine at Amazon but that was 6+ months ago.

Amazon still has it in stock. I don't know if most people are aware of this, but only a tiny portion of the book is written by O. The majority of the book is written by various contributors.

• 2 weeks later...
You WANT restriction...it is good! Restriction is what keeps you from overeating! :)

Donna

I think some of it that some people also are not morning eaters. I used to always want to eat after getting out of bed. Now my day starts at 4:30am, I drink coffee, juice or water until 10am. Then I eat a little bit, as the day go, seems like my appitete does also.

I sometimes sleepwalk and my husband telss me I make groceries disappear!! So I think it's just that we are all different before surgery, we are all different after surgery even though we had same surgery.

• 1 year later...
That is why I always drink my coffee with non-dairy french vanilla coffee mate creamer in the morning like I always have, but less of it. I even have my little 8oz starbucks coffee sometimes. :) I used to only drink a grande two pump nonfat mocha, but can't handle a grande or a tall anymore.

Dr. Miranda told me about drinking the coffee w/non-dairy creamer or tea in the morning to open things up some. So, I knew then I could still have my coffee but less of it, of course. ;)

Thanks,

Judy

What would you suggest for a non coffee drinker?