fills in florida? Mexico?

After getting my first fill in Mexico does anyone know of any doctors in the Florida Area who will do fills. I asked one today and he said his insurance will not allow him to do fills on patients who had their procedure done by a foriegn doctor.

Do most patients do all their fills with Dr. Ortiz? Going back and forth to Mexico seems like it would be expensive. How much is it everytime you get a fill and how often does the average person have to get one?

I am having my surgery on Sept 22nd. IM so excited but after talking to that other doctor here in florida I am a little worried about the fills. He told me to think twice before getting surgery in mexico because by the time i go to mexico to get all my fills that it will cost just as much as it does here in the U.S. ANy suggestions out there. I would love to hear anyone else's experience with this and getting fills.

thanks

lisa

Dr Grossbard is in Florida, not only is he a band Dr. but he was also banded by Dr. Ortiz..I do not knowexactly where he is in Florida but I'm sure if you call Dr. Ortiz's office they will assist you and give you his number., you can also email Don Mills at Inamed

Don.Mills@inamed.com

Ask him for a list of Dr's in your area ,then start calling them all.. the problem you may run into is alot of U.S. doctors will not take patients banded in Mexico and if they do they charge a fortune , so sometimes it may be cheaper to fly back to Mexico for your fills but it is good to have a Dr. in your area lined up in the event of an emergency.

hi

i have the opposite happening to me i had my lap done in ft lauderdale even though i live in the dominican republic.

you might want to contact my doctor because he does surgery in the us and in my country (dominican republic).

My doctor here says the bands are different so maybe that is the same in mexico.

His name is DR.Marema and he is in ft lauderdale. :D

good luck !!!!!

:)

Dr. Grossbard will not do fills for patients of Dr. Ortiz. I have talked to the office and written letters to him. I have told Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez about this. I can't believe it because I know they work together in Cancun and that Dr. Ortiz placed Dr. Grossbard's band.

This makes no sense.

I live very close to his office and thought it would be convenient. I don't think I would go there now anyway because of the rudeness on the phone. I expected that he could do the fills and follow up, but no, he will not.

Dr. Tiffany Jessee at Suncoast Hospital in Largo is excellent. She did the lapband surgery on her own mother who is a RN. She lost so much weight and I read about her in the paper. Dr. Jessee held a seminar that I attended, but I was one of those who did not fit the US guidlines. (Lower BMI) I wanted to see who was the best, who wrote the book on lapbands, who is a proctor (teacher) for the company that makes the band. Then I read the reviews of patients and then I researched the credentials of Dr. Ortiz. I can't remember but it seems to me there were 10 pages or more of all his accomplishments and ongoing education in the field. I had my surgery in Jan and my first fill in March. I have lost 30 of the 50 I needed to lose. I am thrilled!

Also, Dr. Jessee has invited me to her support groups, and they are huge. She didn't have to do that, but she cares. I am glad I found her!

Good Luck!

Julie

Dunedin, FL

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there....

I had my band done by Dr. Ortiz Aug 26, 2005. I am also looking for a local doctor to do my fills. I live in the Tampa area in FL and Largo would be very close to me if Dr. Jessie does fills on Mexico bands....could you please let me know if she does this for sure. Trips to Mexico do get expensive and the plane ride is killer....

Sharon in FL :D

• 3 weeks later...

I also live in the Seminole Largo area of Florida. I am going to to Dr Jesse's seminar. I want to get my band in Mexico but dont want to go there for adjustments (fills) or if any complications. Let me know if any doctors are found in the Tampa rea theat do fills, even if on the east coast fo FL.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dr Jesse does fills for Mexican patients. You need to fax or mail a copy of the report of operation; which you can have emailed to you from Dr. Ortiz's office.

The first fill is $500 and she does a good job. The cost is broken down like this: $200 for Dr. Jessie, $300 for the use of the floroscope at the hospital, and they do charge a $50. at the hospital for the Radiology Assocoiates, I guess to read the Xray. (Which, honestly, I don't understand). That actually makes it $550.

After that, if she can easily palpate your port, she will fill in the office without floroscopy, and then it only costs $200.

I have only had 2 fills. One in TJ by Dr. Martinez and one in Suncoast Hospital by Dr. Jessee. They both were with the floro. I personally think it's better with floro. You can see the band and know that it is in the correct position (not slipped) and actually watch the barium (Dr. Jessee adds chocolate syrup, Hershey's) go through the band. My sister is going to have her 6th fill this Monday and it will be in the office without floro. I am going to watch. She has not lost A POUND since surgery in January 2005. Yes, you read that right. I thought she was cheating, and from what I have researched, 99% of the people wo don't lose wt cheat. I have watched her eat a whole hamburger (bun and all) without restriction. It made me feel stuck just watching her. Last night she ate 6 chicken wings (large ones) and I can only eat 2. I am beginning to think her band has a slow leak. Dr. Ortiz says he's never had that happen. She seems to be able to eat without restriction. Everytime they fill her, some of the saline is gone. There is always some left though.

We are getting desperate. I haven't written this story anywhere on the internet because I don't want to scare any newbies away with a story of failure. I guess it is very rare. I personally have lost 37 pounds and I am a new person. The weight loss has affected me in a positive way like you can't imagine. Some day I hope to write my story of sussess. I have about 20# more to lose, I once thought it would be impossible, now it is a certainty!

Any suggestions? Any advice? One Dr. in Michigan suggested a BYPASS. Can you believe that? He actually removes bands and does bypass surgery! The nerve! I will pray that Monday goes well for my sis!

Julie

I think Dr. Grossbard no longer accepts Mexico patients because he was overwhelmed. So many patients were coming to him. He used to accept them a long time ago, but they kept coming and coming and coming.

About the sister with no restriction. I am sorry to hear this as it must be tough for her to see you succeed and her gain more weight. But I do not think that the doctor that suggested GB is horrible. Some people (very rare IMHO) just simply do not work with the band. GBypass is not a horrible option and is the smart option. My mom and sis both have GBypass and never had the band. I think the band would have worked for my mother but it would have NEVER worked for my sister. I think the doctor who suggested the bypass was suggesting a very real possibility after her 6th fill and no results if she wanted to still use surgery as help.

There are ways to "eat around" the band too. If someone does this, then they will not lose weight and may even gain. Also exercise is a HUGE part of the band. Many think the band is a magic tool that makes the weight disappear and expect the lbs to just melt off. I am not saying this is what you sister thinks, but maybe she needs a little boost in the right choices and examining her lifestyle?

Saline gone, some there. .1 cc is equal to two droplets of saline. Sometimes a bit is lost in the extraction process. Are we talking about having 1.8 cc's in and only getting .7cc's back out??? Or are we talking about having 1.8cc's in and getting 1.6cc's back out?

Congratulations on your own weight loss! That is terrific. I will warn you, the last 20 lbs are really work. I am still working on mine. But you should be proud of yourself for doing so well thus far!!!

Tell your sister to try and stay positive. Hopefully the right answer will make itself clear soon.

Dr. Tiffany Jessie in Largo, FL will do fills on Mexican lapband patients..... Her cost is about $550 and she requires that you provide her with the registration card for the Inamed Band and would like a copy of your operative report if you have it. I met her at a seminar and asked her if she had any problems with those banded elsewhere.. she didn't. Her website is www.shedthepounds.com

Julie H.

Tampa, FL

Hello Julie H. That is weird, I am Julie H. too, but I am in Dunedin. Guess people will have to figure out which one is which!

I am going to the office of Dr. Jessee today with my sister. Hopefully we will have some answers. The key here is whether the band still has it's former fill amt.(3.75cc). I agree with Jenna, if it's only a tiny bit gone, no problem, but if it is leaking alot, then it will have to be repaired. I have read the stories of 3 lapband patients and their port or tubing leak. She isn't cheating if she can eat a whole hamburger without restriction. She could be cheating when I am not around, but if she has any bit of restriction, she would not be able to eat what I see her eat. We just went on a 5 day cruise (last ship out of Cozumel before the hurricane!) and I saw first hand what she can eat. There appears to be no restriction.

To make matters worse, I think my port has flipped. I hope it can be manipulated into place! How does that happen? (port flipping) I have had some pain right under my ribs on the left side. I hope it's not serious. I love my band. I am so excited to see it working. I might have to go buy some new clothes soon. These are getting baggie! PTL!

Thanks for your emails, especially Jenna. The doc who wanted to perform the bypass didn't care if she is a 33 BMI. He said he would do it without insurance coverage for around $30,000. That scared me. I will let you know how the visit goes with Dr. Jessee in about 1 hour. She is wonderful. She has taken care of my sister and I with open arms. She even has invited us to her support group that meets the 1st Thursday of each month. We have been twice and everyone is very nice and helpful. She has a coordinator, Joyce, who can be reached at 727-587-7667.

Julie H. (From Dunedin FL)

We are back from Dr. Jessee's office and she(my Sister) has "lost 1.7cc" of saline from the 3.75ccs placed in June. It is obvious there is a leak. She has a little restriction right after a fill, then nothing. I will be calling Dr. Ortiz or Martinez later today. Where do we go from here?

Dr. Jessee suggested a leak test with Floro. She said she has seen patients with leaking ports and tubes. She has had to do surgical repair on these.

We will wait and see. She will be on liquids for 2 days.

Good news, my port is not flipped! I must be losing weight and it is more pronounced. Yeah!

Julie H. (Dunedin, FL)

• 1 year later...
hi

i have the opposite happening to me i had my lap done in ft lauderdale even though i live in the dominican republic.

you might want to contact my doctor because he does surgery in the us and in my country (dominican republic).

My doctor here says the bands are different so maybe that is the same in mexico.

His name is DR.Marema and he is in ft lauderdale. :D

good luck !!!!!

:)

hi como estas would you please give me dr. mareno information. te lo agadecerias bye

• 2 weeks later...

I am from the Bradenton area and had my surgery done by Dr Ortiz in sept 06. I have currently lost 56 pounds with 2 fills I had done back at OCC,

I am trying to talk a group of Radiologist in the Sarasota area to get into the fill practice for Mexican patient.. Charge with fluro would be aout $300. Right now I am taking an informal poll to get an idea of how many people in this area would be willing to travel to Sarasota.. that way I can present a number to these doctors.. So, bottom line... ifn oyu would be willing to go to Sarasota for a flii under fluro for about $300 drop me a line...

Peggy

I am from the Bradenton area and had my surgery done by Dr Ortiz in sept 06. I have currently lost 56 pounds with 2 fills I had done back at OCC,

I am trying to talk a group of Radiologist in the Sarasota area to get into the fill practice for Mexican patient.. Charge with fluro would be aout $300. Right now I am taking an informal poll to get an idea of how many people in this area would be willing to travel to Sarasota.. that way I can present a number to these doctors.. So, bottom line... ifn oyu would be willing to go to Sarasota for a flii under fluro for about $300 drop me a line...

Peggy

Sorry about the typos in the last post... if you are interested in getting fills done with fluro in Sarasota drop me a line \Peggy

Also can some tell me what "thicker"saline is and why that would effect the restriction in your band??? As I see it . the band is a balloon and so matter what you put in it the volume would be the same ....3cc's of saline is the same as 3 cc 's of water or apple juie or beer or whatever...

Sorry about the typos in the last post... if you are interested in getting fills done with fluro in Sarasota drop me a line \Peggy

Also can some tell me what "thicker"saline is and why that would effect the restriction in your band??? As I see it . the band is a balloon and so matter what you put in it the volume would be the same ....3cc's of saline is the same as 3 cc 's of water or apple juie or beer or whatever...

I WONDERED THAT SAME THING. THICK SALINE? THE ONLY THING I CAN THINK OF IS IF THE RUBBER IS SOFT ENOUGH, IT WOULD RESTRICT MORE IF LIKE CEMENT WAS ADDED VS WATER? DOES THAT MAKE SENSE? BUT LIKE YOU I'VE NEVER HEARD OF IT

PS FROM TIME TO TIME I FLY DOWN AND STAY IN PALMETO.