Bandsters Weighing 350+

Hey, guys! I've been on this forum ever since my 1st consult with occ on the 15th of this month and have noticed that new and old bandsters are at a much lower weight/bmi than I. A buddy of mine who is also having surgery is also near my weight/bmi. I'm 5'11, weighing 407 the day of my consult. My buddy and I will both be between 40-60 lbs. lighter once surgery day comes around and well I wanted to get a feel for bandsters weighing in at 350 plus the day of surgery and after for that matter. Just wanted to see how many people have a lot more weight to lose as I do and want you to list your complications, advice, and concerns you can share with a fellow big guy.

This thread of course is open to everyone at any weight but just wanted to get a feel for what I can expect from people that are at my weight or have been my weight and have got banded already. From your eating habits to your exercise routines is what I'm interested in hearing about. I've noticed that so many people that have gotten banded complain about it not working yet I RARELY here about people exercising. Is it just me or are people just as lazy once the band is put on? I myself can't wait for the day I am not out of breath due to my weight and will be able to hit the gym or the track 3-4 times a week. There is a health nut inside this big guy and he's ready to shed the pounds, be healthy, and take charge and take full responsibility for what I've done to my body. No one has made me gain this weight, it's all my fault. As Dr. Ortiz stated to me, use the band to your best ability and work the tool I'll be giving you. I want to work the band to my full potential. Do I want to be rock hard with abs and weigh 185? Hell no! Do I have high expectations and expect my weight to fly off in 6 or even 9 months, hell no! What I want is to just be healthy and be at a more comfortable weight that I can accept and can actively live a healthy and enjoyable lifestyle. I've realized that after being over weight for so many years and going thru so many fad diets it's up to me to take any healthy route to GET healthy again. Lap band surgery being available to me is literally a dream come true. The fact that I can afford this and am taking the steps to complete it blow my mind. This surgery is like something you've always wanted yet once you have it within your reach your unsure if you want it or are unsure of how you will care for it. If this is something that's not all cracked up to be I will have to be the one that will have to evaluate myself and my motives. The decision is all mine!. I'm not saying Lap Band is my last resort but it's pretty close. Once I get this band placed in me I'll follow the strict diet, introduce an execise regimen when the time comes and work the band. I won't let the band work me cuz after all this is only a tool to assist me, not an answer that I'm expecting to cure my obesity overnight.

So I welcome all bandsters with a starting weight of 350 or more to lend your voice to a fellow big guy who is so looking forward to his surgery in July! Thanks, everyone.

Hi Mike,

I weighed 375 before my pre-op diet. Dr. Miranda wanted me to lose as close to 36 lbs as possible before surgery. When I was weighed in her office this past Monday, the 21st, I weighed 352. She was so excited and proud of me to lose that much before surgery. I am 6' 1" and am big boned. I have no idea what my ideal weight is or how much I really need to lose or what my goal weight should be, but I am thinking probably about 195-210 should be good.

I have to tell you though, there will be alot of benefits for me in losing the heaviness I have carried around all my life. I found out that Dr. Oritz had been studying lymphedema with Dr. Martinez for the 5 weeks prior to my surgery because I guess they never had a patient with that problem. He told me with the weight I would lose, so will the swelling from the lymphedema. That made me want this surgery more than ever. I would love to be able to wear good shoes again instead of birkenstocks, and socks too. I love to walk and always want to be more active but can't because of the pain it would cause me later.

One more thing I need to tell you. The liquid diet SUCKS!!! But, it is only temporary. Tomorrow I can finally have creamed soups and protein shakes (which I miss alot). I had some liquid yogurt today and that helped alot, but it seems by afternoon I am starving. I know it is all temporary, so I am going to tough it out. ;)

Hope this helps some.

Peace,

Judy

Hi Mike,

I weighed 375 before my pre-op diet. Dr. Miranda wanted me to lose as close to 36 lbs as possible before surgery. When I was weighed in her office this past Monday, the 21st, I weighed 352. She was so excited and proud of me to lose that much before surgery. I am 6' 1" and am big boned. I have no idea what my ideal weight is or how much I really need to lose or what my goal weight should be, but I am thinking probably about 195-210 should be good.

I have to tell you though, there will be alot of benefits for me in losing the heaviness I have carried around all my life. I found out that Dr. Oritz had been studying lymphedema with Dr. Martinez for the 5 weeks prior to my surgery because I guess they never had a patient with that problem. He told me with the weight I would lose, so will the swelling from the lymphedema. That made me want this surgery more than ever. I would love to be able to wear good shoes again instead of birkenstocks, and socks too. I love to walk and always want to be more active but can't because of the pain it would cause me later.

One more thing I need to tell you. The liquid diet SUCKS!!! But, it is only temporary. Tomorrow I can finally have creamed soups and protein shakes (which I miss alot). I had some liquid yogurt today and that helped alot, but it seems by afternoon I am starving. I know it is all temporary, so I am going to tough it out. ;)

Hope this helps some.

Peace,

Judy

Hey, Judy! Thanks so much for your reply! A few questions...it sounds like your banding was very recent? When did you get banded and how much have you lost, if any? How long have you been doing the liquid diet? I wish you much success and can only hope your health gets better with time. ;)

Hey, Judy! Thanks so much for your reply! A few questions...it sounds like your banding was very recent? When did you get banded and how much have you lost, if any? How long have you been doing the liquid diet? I wish you much success and can only hope your health gets better with time. ;)

I was banded this past Monday May 21st. I have been on the liquid diet since and as I mentioned earlier, I was able to drink the yogurt today and tomorrow can start the protein shakes and creamy soups. I absolutely hate the liquid diet. But it is temporary and I can move on to better things in time. I am so careful and almost scared to start drinking new things, but I feel out what my band wants and is ready to handle. Just start very small. I didn't have the problem of the annoying gas pains. I guess because I walked alot before and after surgery and took the gas x strips. On the flight back home, I had some big gas poots that really needed and wanted to let go, but couldn't until I got off the plane and walked through the airport. LOL

I have lost four more pounds since surgery so, that would make a total so far of 27lbs lost hopefully for good.

Thanks for the best wishes for my success. I too wish you much success with your band as well.

Take care,

Judy

I was banded this past Monday May 21st. I have been on the liquid diet since and as I mentioned earlier, I was able to drink the yogurt today and tomorrow can start the protein shakes and creamy soups. I absolutely hate the liquid diet. But it is temporary and I can move on to better things in time. I am so careful and almost scared to start drinking new things, but I feel out what my band wants and is ready to handle. Just start very small. I didn't have the problem of the annoying gas pains. I guess because I walked alot before and after surgery and took the gas x strips. On the flight back home, I had some big gas poots that really needed and wanted to let go, but couldn't until I got off the plane and walked through the airport. LOL

I have lost four more pounds since surgery so, that would make a total so far of 27lbs lost hopefully for good.

Thanks for the best wishes for my success. I too wish you much success with your band as well.

Take care,

Judy

LOL @ On the flight back home, I had some big gas poots that really needed and wanted to let go, but couldn't until I got off the plane and walked through the airport.

- That is hilarious. I probably would've accidently let one rip. You've got some great self control, Judy! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Mikey,

Wow... a lot of similarities here. I am 6'2" and my highest weight was 404. My first weigh-in when I met Dr. Ortiz in September 2006 I was 390 and my surgery weight (Oct 2006) was 355. Loose as much as you can before the surgery. It makes it easier for the doctors to perform, and you will feel like you are on already winning. The surgery is easy. You will feel sore for a few days, but most people would never know you just had major surgery. I had mine on Friday, home Saturday and back to work Monday. No one knew other than those we told. Coming home my father-in-law never knew I just had major surgery. People at work never knew. Amazing. Try that with gastric bypass!

The liquid diet is not hard if you make the determiniation that you are going to do it, that you have spent the thousand's of dollars and so you are going to stick with it. That said, I was ready for a meal after 3 weeks. You stick out those three weeks you can be extremely proud of yourself, it is tough at times, especially if your around family, etc. Just avoid some of those situations, it makes it easier.

Currently I hover around 330 lbs. Several reasons for that. #1: I am not going to the gym. I was for a while, but my life became increasingly busy that I just didn't schedule it into my life. Make your car go on auto pilot to the gym. I also think I over did it, meaning I was going 7-9 times a week. Too much. Keep it simple, 3 times per week and just walk or swim the others. #2: One of my biggest mistakes was to think that I could beat the band. You learn tricks with eating and the band. LISTEN to the band...probably doesn't make sense now, but I am sure other's who have been banded would agree. Just STOP eating #3: Eat the deserts, just not a daily basis or even the entire piece. If you like chocolate, cakes, etc. have a small piece. If you go cold turkey it become extremely difficult and you will fail in this area. It is still a problem area for me. #4: STOP drinking all soda, pop, alcohol, carbinated drinks, etc. NOW. I stopped drinking soda the day I found out about the lap-band and have never looked back. Probably the easiest and best decision I have made. There is a lot of calories in alcohol, so I have stopped that as well. The earlier you start on that, the easier it will be. Today, all these drinks don't interest me. If you want a good low calorie drink Stater Brothers has Lemonade and Arnold Palmer (ice tea & lemonade) low calorie, I think 50 cal/serving that is really good cold on a hot day.

Mikey, don't think you are going to be thin overnight. I have lost 70 lbs already and feel 1000% better. I have about 100 lbs I would still like to loose. You will be frustrated, feel like giving up, but remember what Dr. Ortiz said. It is a tool, and just like with any tool, you have to surround it with the right parts, or food, to make them work together.

I live in Riverside, and am willing to talk more if you wish. Just send me an email.

Oh, Dr. Ortiz is the best, good choice.

Michael

Mikey,

Wow... a lot of similarities here. I am 6'2" and my highest weight was 404. My first weigh-in when I met Dr. Ortiz in September 2006 I was 390 and my surgery weight (Oct 2006) was 355. Loose as much as you can before the surgery. It makes it easier for the doctors to perform, and you will feel like you are on already winning. The surgery is easy. You will feel sore for a few days, but most people would never know you just had major surgery. I had mine on Friday, home Saturday and back to work Monday. No one knew other than those we told. Coming home my father-in-law never knew I just had major surgery. People at work never knew. Amazing. Try that with gastric bypass!

The liquid diet is not hard if you make the determiniation that you are going to do it, that you have spent the thousand's of dollars and so you are going to stick with it. That said, I was ready for a meal after 3 weeks. You stick out those three weeks you can be extremely proud of yourself, it is tough at times, especially if your around family, etc. Just avoid some of those situations, it makes it easier.

Currently I hover around 330 lbs. Several reasons for that. #1: I am not going to the gym. I was for a while, but my life became increasingly busy that I just didn't schedule it into my life. Make your car go on auto pilot to the gym. I also think I over did it, meaning I was going 7-9 times a week. Too much. Keep it simple, 3 times per week and just walk or swim the others. #2: One of my biggest mistakes was to think that I could beat the band. You learn tricks with eating and the band. LISTEN to the band...probably doesn't make sense now, but I am sure other's who have been banded would agree. Just STOP eating #3: Eat the deserts, just not a daily basis or even the entire piece. If you like chocolate, cakes, etc. have a small piece. If you go cold turkey it become extremely difficult and you will fail in this area. It is still a problem area for me. #4: STOP drinking all soda, pop, alcohol, carbinated drinks, etc. NOW. I stopped drinking soda the day I found out about the lap-band and have never looked back. Probably the easiest and best decision I have made. There is a lot of calories in alcohol, so I have stopped that as well. The earlier you start on that, the easier it will be. Today, all these drinks don't interest me. If you want a good low calorie drink Stater Brothers has Lemonade and Arnold Palmer (ice tea & lemonade) low calorie, I think 50 cal/serving that is really good cold on a hot day.

Mikey, don't think you are going to be thin overnight. I have lost 70 lbs already and feel 1000% better. I have about 100 lbs I would still like to loose. You will be frustrated, feel like giving up, but remember what Dr. Ortiz said. It is a tool, and just like with any tool, you have to surround it with the right parts, or food, to make them work together.

I live in Riverside, and am willing to talk more if you wish. Just send me an email.

Oh, Dr. Ortiz is the best, good choice.

Michael

Dude...thanks so much for all your advice and comments. It's great to know that there is someone very close to my stature and attitude towards weight loss. I with anyone else with a good dosage of reality knows this fat is just not going to drop off overnight. The way I gained a lot of weight over the years is the same way I have a high expectation if it only slowly dropping off. I lost nearly 70lbs in 2004/2005 and with stress, a new job position and much personal tragedy I stopped eating right and stopped going to the gym and slowly put it back on and now am left at my current weight which is 387. When I had lost all that weight I was at your current weight...330ish. BUT I have to tell you going from 400 to 330ish within literally 6 months I felt so good at that weight. I felt light on my feet, had so much more energy at the gym and felt so good. I've had like the most of us a huge struggle the 2nd time around of losing weight....so that is where I want the band to step in and assist me with my personal weight loss. I look at it like a tool that will only assist me, like a plus being added to portion cutbacks and making much more healthier choices when eating food. It's been 3 weeks and like you have totally cut back almost to zero alcholic beverages which for me isn't hard BUT I have tons of friends I hang out with and we go out monthly to relax and have drinks....it's actually been pretty easy so I'm glad for that. I will definately email you for some more advice once I get banded. Again, thanks a lot man. Much appreciation and congrats' on having a healthy band surgery.

• 2 weeks later...

Update...after maintaining my weight for nearly 4 months with my weight up and down 5 lbs. I finally had time to run to the clinic for a fill. They filled me to 7cc. WOW!!! That hurt, especially sitting for nearly 2 hours to cross the border. But seriously, I have dropped almost 15 lbs. in the 9 days following the fill. Moral of the story...if your eating too much, get the fill. Makes a big difference. I think I will probably be able to stay at this fill level for a while. However, I am going to make the fill a priority. When I feel that I am eating too much I am heading back down. And since we are spending thousands for the operation, I guess it only makes sense to keep it filled.

Looking forward to hearing about your success...the best to you.

Michael

Update...after maintaining my weight for nearly 4 months with my weight up and down 5 lbs. I finally had time to run to the clinic for a fill. They filled me to 7cc. WOW!!! That hurt, especially sitting for nearly 2 hours to cross the border. But seriously, I have dropped almost 15 lbs. in the 9 days following the fill. Moral of the story...if your eating too much, get the fill. Makes a big difference. I think I will probably be able to stay at this fill level for a while. However, I am going to make the fill a priority. When I feel that I am eating too much I am heading back down. And since we are spending thousands for the operation, I guess it only makes sense to keep it filled.

Looking forward to hearing about your success...the best to you.

Michael

OMG, 9lbs....dude that is awesome and your notes helps so much. I will take your advice...my surgery date is creeping up on me and before you know it I'll be emailing you for HELP! Congrats on the 9lbs....WOW.

• 2 weeks later...

Mikey, your surgery date gets closer and closer. I have thought about you and hope all is well. My last fill has been the one...it's like I am dropping weight daily...I am so excited now and extremely pleased that I had the surgery. When I weighed myself this morning I was 320, a number I haven't seen in many, many years. The best thing...I am buying pants at Costco and Sam's Club!!! Before surgery I wore a 50 pant at my waist. Today I am sliding out of a 42, and a 40 I usually have room.

My scale showed me that I am less than 100 lbs from my goal weight of 225 which I am really excited about. My total weight loss is 84 lbs to date. Nothing wrong with that. My current goal is 300 by August and more than 120 lbs off by my 1 year surgery anniversary. I think I will beat that....I'll keep you posted.

Your thinking is on the right track...keep positive, keep focused, keep working towards your goals.

The best to you. Happy July 4th!!!

Michael

• 2 weeks later...
Hey, guys! I've been on this forum ever since my 1st consult with occ on the 15th of this month and have noticed that new and old bandsters are at a much lower weight/bmi than I. A buddy of mine who is also having surgery is also near my weight/bmi. I'm 5'11, weighing 407 the day of my consult. My buddy and I will both be between 40-60 lbs. lighter once surgery day comes around and well I wanted to get a feel for bandsters weighing in at 350 plus the day of surgery and after for that matter. Just wanted to see how many people have a lot more weight to lose as I do and want you to list your complications, advice, and concerns you can share with a fellow big guy.

This thread of course is open to everyone at any weight but just wanted to get a feel for what I can expect from people that are at my weight or have been my weight and have got banded already. From your eating habits to your exercise routines is what I'm interested in hearing about. I've noticed that so many people that have gotten banded complain about it not working yet I RARELY here about people exercising. Is it just me or are people just as lazy once the band is put on? I myself can't wait for the day I am not out of breath due to my weight and will be able to hit the gym or the track 3-4 times a week. There is a health nut inside this big guy and he's ready to shed the pounds, be healthy, and take charge and take full responsibility for what I've done to my body. No one has made me gain this weight, it's all my fault. As Dr. Ortiz stated to me, use the band to your best ability and work the tool I'll be giving you. I want to work the band to my full potential. Do I want to be rock hard with abs and weigh 185? Hell no! Do I have high expectations and expect my weight to fly off in 6 or even 9 months, hell no! What I want is to just be healthy and be at a more comfortable weight that I can accept and can actively live a healthy and enjoyable lifestyle. I've realized that after being over weight for so many years and going thru so many fad diets it's up to me to take any healthy route to GET healthy again. Lap band surgery being available to me is literally a dream come true. The fact that I can afford this and am taking the steps to complete it blow my mind. This surgery is like something you've always wanted yet once you have it within your reach your unsure if you want it or are unsure of how you will care for it. If this is something that's not all cracked up to be I will have to be the one that will have to evaluate myself and my motives. The decision is all mine!. I'm not saying Lap Band is my last resort but it's pretty close. Once I get this band placed in me I'll follow the strict diet, introduce an execise regimen when the time comes and work the band. I won't let the band work me cuz after all this is only a tool to assist me, not an answer that I'm expecting to cure my obesity overnight.

So I welcome all bandsters with a starting weight of 350 or more to lend your voice to a fellow big guy who is so looking forward to his surgery in July! Thanks, everyone.

Hi Mike my name is Sharon and I am new to this group but I have been reading a lot of posts. I do not weigh 350 pounds I am way under but I am at 255 right now I have lost 15 pounds on my own from diet and exercise. Man you have to exercise the fat will not leave by just eating certain foods you have to work your butt off and it will all be good in the end. My Dr. told me that ther heavier a person is will be more successful in the lapband and lose weight at a different speed if your willing to work at it. I am 53 years old and gained my weight during my son's illness he was terminally ill as a child and passed away just 2 months shy of his 22nd BD and let me tell you I went from 123 pounds to where I am at today and it caused me to become type 2 diabetic, HBP, DJD and well when your heavy like us your quality of life is down the tubes that is how I see it. I look into the mirror and say out loud Sahron what did you do to yourself and how are we going to fix this. I ate out of grief, food beccame my frind and then my enemy. I watch what I eat. I drink slim fast optima twice per day and then a light meal and I drink my water or crystal light. I exercise at home twice per day and walk and it all is paying off. I don't know your age but when your in your 50's it is harder but it will pay off. I know you will do well as so will I. Luck to you my new forum frined and to your buddy, having the buddy system is a great help.

Sharon

sharrroc@aol.com

Hi Mike my name is Sharon and I am new to this group but I have been reading a lot of posts. I do not weigh 350 pounds I am way under but I am at 255 right now I have lost 15 pounds on my own from diet and exercise. Man you have to exercise the fat will not leave by just eating certain foods you have to work your butt off and it will all be good in the end. My Dr. told me that ther heavier a person is will be more successful in the lapband and lose weight at a different speed if your willing to work at it. I am 53 years old and gained my weight during my son's illness he was terminally ill as a child and passed away just 2 months shy of his 22nd BD and let me tell you I went from 123 pounds to where I am at today and it caused me to become type 2 diabetic, HBP, DJD and well when your heavy like us your quality of life is down the tubes that is how I see it. I look into the mirror and say out loud Sahron what did you do to yourself and how are we going to fix this. I ate out of grief, food beccame my frind and then my enemy. I watch what I eat. I drink slim fast optima twice per day and then a light meal and I drink my water or crystal light. I exercise at home twice per day and walk and it all is paying off. I don't know your age but when your in your 50's it is harder but it will pay off. I know you will do well as so will I. Luck to you my new forum frined and to your buddy, having the buddy system is a great help.

Sharon

sharrroc@aol.com

Hi Sharon....I just turned 28 and am trying to tackle my 1 and only enemy I've ever had in my life....FAT!!!! I remember my mom always telling me when I was in my early 20's that once I hit 30 the weight is going to be that much harder to lose...in other words certain things in life just seem to get harder with age and I do believe weight loss is at the top of the list. Having her always saying that I always had it embedded in my head for me to get a jump start at a healthier life. I thank her for that and also thank you for your advice and WISDOM. Much respect.

Mikey, your surgery date gets closer and closer. I have thought about you and hope all is well. My last fill has been the one...it's like I am dropping weight daily...I am so excited now and extremely pleased that I had the surgery. When I weighed myself this morning I was 320, a number I haven't seen in many, many years. The best thing...I am buying pants at Costco and Sam's Club!!! Before surgery I wore a 50 pant at my waist. Today I am sliding out of a 42, and a 40 I usually have room.

My scale showed me that I am less than 100 lbs from my goal weight of 225 which I am really excited about. My total weight loss is 84 lbs to date. Nothing wrong with that. My current goal is 300 by August and more than 120 lbs off by my 1 year surgery anniversary. I think I will beat that....I'll keep you posted.

Your thinking is on the right track...keep positive, keep focused, keep working towards your goals.

The best to you. Happy July 4th!!!

Michael

Thanks, Michael! I'm hoping you had a chance to read my latest post. I will keep everyone updated with my story and hope you continue to do the same cuz it really does help, a lot!