Hate to complain.........but.............

Hi forum fam................

I am cracking up because I am not normally a whiner............. BUT......

More often than not, I find myself struggling to take my liquid vitamins.......... That is nuts, because normally~ if it were a pill form vitamin it would be no prob............

I have liquid Centrum.......... And it's so disgusting! :angry: Bright yellow (bile in appearance if you really want to know) smelly and so horrible~! I want to take care of myself and I KNOW what I know when it comes to supplying your body with enuf nutrients. We need to heal and adjust to the band without depriving our bods of what it needs.......... So it's not like I don't realize the value of why we do this..............

HOWEVER......... As I am a cheapskate and don't waste anything, I am involved in a full blown struggle each and every day when it comes to this nasty ritual........... My daughter can smell it on the spoon even after I rinsed it off....... She grosses out with it even on my breath. I immediately put a s.f. fruit bar in my mouth to kill the taste. What a bad example I am to my 10 yr old! Like a pacifier in the mouth of a big ol' crybaby, I walk around being grossed out for like 10 minutes suckin' all the flavor out of my victim of the day till the vita-taste is completely outta my mouth........ Seems like an eternity.......... :blink:

Thought I would just complain to folks who have had a 'hit n miss' with LapBand aftercare purchases............ Or if you are a pre bander wanting to learn from my mistake....... Hee hee. I'm riding this one out....... I think it was only 14.00 or something.........

But COMPLAINING IS FREE! HOW COOL!

I thank you all for your time and hopefully have amused some of you that know what I'm talkin' about! Shheeesh! Anyone got a good SECOND TIME'S A CHARM liquid vitamin?

Take care!

Cheryl

More often than not, I find myself struggling to take my liquid vitamins.......... That is nuts, because normally~ if it were a pill form vitamin it would be no prob............

Take care!

Cheryl

Cheryl,

That sounds soooooo bad! I don't use a liquid vitamin, but I do chew 2 kid's vitamins and that seems to work ok (I am two weeks out and I figure that is like crushing my meds). I don't know if that would be acceptable to you, but I think that all the liquid vits are probably grotty.

Cheers,

Laura

Cheryl,

That sounds soooooo bad! I don't use a liquid vitamin, but I do chew 2 kid's vitamins and that seems to work ok (I am two weeks out and I figure that is like crushing my meds). I don't know if that would be acceptable to you, but I think that all the liquid vits are probably grotty.

Cheers,

Laura

I USE THE KIDDIE ONES ALSO

I have liquid Centrum.......... And it's so disgusting!

HOWEVER......... As I am a cheapskate and don't waste anything.

Anyone got a good SECOND TIME'S A CHARM liquid vitamin?

Cheryl,

Luckily I had heard about liquid Centrum tasting so bad before I bought some; otherwise, I would be suffering through the whole bottle like you because I can't stand to waste anything either. I totally relate with your delima! The gal at the health food store recommended mixing with cranberry juice because the tartness does the best job to camouflage bad flavors.

I buy Nature's Plus "Source of Life" which actually tastes pretty good. I still hold my nose when I swallow it because liquid medicines, of any kind, gross me out; however, I like liquids better than chewables because the grossness is over faster. One of the cheapest places I have found to buy vitamins is Vitacost.com. Rachelle

Chewable vitamins?

DUH! How come I missed the bus on that one? How silly of me............ That will be my NEXT purchase. I can't believe I didn't even entertain that idea! Thank you guys for your quick responses and for the web addy Rachelle!

take care all and happy banding! ><'

Cheryl

I have liquid Centrum.......... And it's so disgusting! :angry: Bright yellow (bile in appearance if you really want to know) smelly and so horrible~! I want to take care of myself and I KNOW what I know when it comes to supplying your body with enuf nutrients. We need to heal and adjust to the band without depriving our bods of what it needs.......... So it's not like I don't realize the value of why we do this..............

HOWEVER......... As I am a cheapskate and don't waste anything, I am involved in a full blown struggle each and every day when it comes to this nasty ritual........... My daughter can smell it on the spoon even after I rinsed it off....... She grosses out with it even on my breath. I immediately put a s.f. fruit bar in my mouth to kill the taste. What a bad example I am to my 10 yr old! Like a pacifier in the mouth of a big ol' crybaby, I walk around being grossed out for like 10 minutes suckin' all the flavor out of my victim of the day till the vita-taste is completely outta my mouth........ Seems like an eternity.......... :blink:

Thought I would just complain to folks who have had a 'hit n miss' with LapBand aftercare purchases............ Or if you are a pre bander wanting to learn from my mistake....... Hee hee. I'm riding this one out....... I think it was only 14.00 or something.........

I thank you all for your time and hopefully have amused some of you that know what I'm talkin' about! Shheeesh! Anyone got a good SECOND TIME'S A CHARM liquid vitamin?

Take care!

Cheryl

That is soooo funny. I had the same problem. It smells like vomit excuse my french. so I also use flinstones. LOL

I immediately put a s.f. fruit bar in my mouth to kill the taste. What a bad example I am to my 10 yr old! Like a pacifier in the mouth of a big ol' crybaby, I walk around being grossed out for like 10 minutes suckin' all the flavor out of my victim of the day till the vita-taste is completely outta my mouth

Hi Cheryl,

There are a few threads here discussing different brands and prices. My doctor says that Flintstones and Centrum are not even worth the bother - the ingredients are so inferior that you might as well have a tic-tac (his exact words).

In the meantime, though, try mixing your liquid vitamin with half a glass of any strong-flavored juice, such as Cranberry, Grape , Cherry or Lemonade. The tartness of the juice should disguise the taste of the medicine. Once you get the mix just right, you won't even taste the medicine any more.

Another solution (this from a wilder type) is to take the medicine just like a shot of tequila - lick some salt, knock it back and suck on a lime or lemon. I haven't tried it, but it does sound like more fun! :lol:

do the chewables! We offer a great line of vitamins at our estore - specifically formulated for bandsters! here's the link: Estore Vitamins

I've been to the eStore a couple of times, but have never been able to find shipping charges listed anywhere. Do you have a link to shipping options and costs?

Another solution (this from a wilder type) is to take the medicine just like a shot of tequila - lick some salt, knock it back and suck on a lime or lemon. I haven't tried it, but it does sound like more fun! :lol:

NoWorry,

Great tip! I knew about the Cranberry or tart-flavored juice trick, but I'll have to try the "shot of tequila" technique! Thanks for sharing!

Rachelle

I found two options at GNC - they have a powder that is strawberry flavored, not bad at all if you mix it with cold water. They also have an orange flavored liquid - not quite as tasty, but not bad. Just don't do it on an empty stomach. I do toss it down like a shot though (lot's of experience in my younger bartending days). As far as the chewables, I've always been told by doctors, nutritionists, etc that they are basically useless. I don't know what is in the store, but I know Flinstones and that type of vitamin don't have too much of what you need. Anyway, that's my two cents worth, I guess everyone will figure out what is best for them.

Another tip, if you do go to GNC get the gold card and buy the vitamins the first week of the month, it saves you 20% on anything you buy during that week.

NoWorry,

Great tip! I knew about the Cranberry or tart-flavored juice trick, but I'll have to try the "shot of tequila" technique! Thanks for sharing!

Rachelle

You're very welcome. :lol: It does sound a lot more exciting, doesn't it? Let me know how it works out. BTW, the Wellesse brand items we had previously discussed on another thread both taste really great, so no tricks required to get them down.

You're very welcome. :lol: It does sound a lot more exciting, doesn't it? Let me know how it works out. BTW, the Wellesse brand items we had previously discussed on another thread both taste really great, so no tricks required to get them down.

The flintstones w/iron is what the doctor says banders need, espically right after surgery becasue it's chewable. He says 2 a day but I do 1 and 1 Centrum chewable. I beleive the content is better in the Centrum than the fliststones because it is a kid vitamin.

We all just have to find what works best.

there is a toll free # to call for information on shipping charges from our estore - its run by Bariatric Advantage. I think it just depends on what you order!

I think the Centrum Chewables are pretty good - but I bought the Target generic of the Centrum - Y I K E S!!! lol never again!

Take care!

Cheryl

Do they still make Polyvisol...you know the liquid baby vitamin? When I used to babysit as a teenager, I used to love the taste of it, but the Polyvisol with iron was terrible!

Hi, well, I'm absolutely the worst when it comes to eating something I don't like, and I'm VERY picky! I was always the kid left at the table for hours afterwards because I wouldn't eat my veggies, strangely, I was always the skinny one in the family until I hit my mid 30's. Anyway, I gave away several bottles of liquid vitamins until I found one I can handle. It's called Liquidmax Complete Nutrition and I get it at Costco. It costs about $12 or $13 and is fruit flavored and taste kind of like a liquid kids vitamin. At first I mixed it with a bit of juice in a tall shot glass and plugged my nose when I downed it. It also helps if you just breath through your mouth for the first few breaths afterwards (not your nose). But after doing that for about a month, I could then just chug it straight from the bottle just fine! No one else touches it but me, otherwise I would never do that! Just another idea, Good Luck!

Kim

You guys all rock! Thanx for the vitamin feedback and info...........This is WHY we have a forum! Everyone of us have been included in the 'hit and miss' kinda stages and sharing our woes and successes can only serve to help others and laugh at ourselves as we live and learn this thing called the LAPBAND baby! :lol:

Have you guys tried Viactiv? It's the chocolate and caramel chewables. I know, I know, it's a solid, you say? Not if you keep chewing until it's dissolved! They are YUMMY. I eat them when I just have to have something sweet. I eat the multi-vitamin chocolate and the calcium caramel ones. They are also geared towards women, rather than children, so you may be getting more important vitamins... although I haven't really researched it. You will LOVE taking your vitamins if you get these!

Have you guys tried Viactiv? It's the chocolate and caramel chewables. I know, I know, it's a solid, you say? Not if you keep chewing until it's dissolved! They are YUMMY. I eat them when I just have to have something sweet. I eat the multi-vitamin chocolate and the calcium caramel ones. They are also geared towards women, rather than children, so you may be getting more important vitamins... although I haven't really researched it. You will LOVE taking your vitamins if you get these!

.....or unwrap them and put them in the microwave for 10 seconds -- very pliable !

Also -- with the liquid -- you cannot taste ANYTHING until you breathe -- so after I knock

back my shot of liquid vitamins, I immediately drink water THEN take a breath -- still a

little nasty but MUCH less so!

Lisa

Take care!

Cheryl

Try the gumball vitamins. Mine are called Vitaballs. They are terrific!

• 5 weeks later...