IS IT WORTH IT?

I have been reading these posts off and on for a few weeks. Contemplating getting the surgery. I have no problem changing my diet, but I'm not sure I want to go back to eating baby food. It just sounds like it is extreme, you can't eat chicken, you have to chew your food until it is unrecognizable, you can't drink before or after you eat, gas, burping. What I would like to know is... is all of that worth it? I have never defined myself by how much I weigh, and I am only considering this surgery because it seems like I could exercise until I fall over and I can't seem to lose. I don't overeat, I just typically eat the wrong food for my metabolism and due to my schedule..late at night. Anyone that has had this for over a year.........is it worth it?

Couple of things:

1) You don't need to eat baby food. Some people choose to eat baby food during the post-op diet, but this is not required and once you are back onto normal foods you can eat, well, normal foods.

2) Nobody said you can't eat chicken. Some people have said that THEY can't eat chicken. We all have different foods that don't work with us. For me it is bread and pasta but I shouldn't be eating those things anyway, and since the consequences with the band are severe, I have no desire for these foods. I had a fill last week so I am quite tight right now and was able to have chicken for dinner last night (with pesto, it was yummy!) Your results will vary but if you chew enough you will probably be able to eat chicken just fine.

3) Yes you will need to "chew to goo" but it sounds much much worse than it is. It is no big deal once you get used to it.

4) You should not drink liquids for an hour after eating but before eating you are fine. In fact I usually make sure to drink something before eating so I don't get thirsty afterwards.

5) Gas and burping is most associated with the week post-op since they pump your system full of gas while they are operating. This gas goes away and things are fine. I do find when I eat I need to burp more than before, but it is not severe and I still cannot compete with my (not-banded) guy friends when it comes to belching.

Probably the biggest question to ask on whether it will work for you is how much do you want to loose? Those of us who need to be halved or even quartered seem to have the biggest success stories. People with smaller bmi's seem to have to work for it more, but even still the response from them is quite positive.

Is it worth it? Check out my signature, even though I'm less than a year out I'm almost to 100 pounds lost so YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES. . .YES!

Thank you "Clynn" for your candor. It just seems to be a lot of negative and I am quite nervous about not being able to eat normally. Well...obviously not "normally" in the true sense of the word b/c that is why I am overweight, but to eat some normal foods - because I love chicken. That seemed to be the one that a lot of people mentioned having problems with. I am still doing a lot of research and your comments helped. Thank you. :)

Couple of things:

1) You don't need to eat baby food. Some people choose to eat baby food during the post-op diet, but this is not required and once you are back onto normal foods you can eat, well, normal foods.

2) Nobody said you can't eat chicken. Some people have said that THEY can't eat chicken. We all have different foods that don't work with us. For me it is bread and pasta but I shouldn't be eating those things anyway, and since the consequences with the band are severe, I have no desire for these foods. I had a fill last week so I am quite tight right now and was able to have chicken for dinner last night (with pesto, it was yummy!) Your results will vary but if you chew enough you will probably be able to eat chicken just fine.

3) Yes you will need to "chew to goo" but it sounds much much worse than it is. It is no big deal once you get used to it.

4) You should not drink liquids for an hour after eating but before eating you are fine. In fact I usually make sure to drink something before eating so I don't get thirsty afterwards.

5) Gas and burping is most associated with the week post-op since they pump your system full of gas while they are operating. This gas goes away and things are fine. I do find when I eat I need to burp more than before, but it is not severe and I still cannot compete with my (not-banded) guy friends when it comes to belching.

Probably the biggest question to ask on whether it will work for you is how much do you want to loose? Those of us who need to be halved or even quartered seem to have the biggest success stories. People with smaller bmi's seem to have to work for it more, but even still the response from them is quite positive.

Is it worth it? Check out my signature, even though I'm less than a year out I'm almost to 100 pounds lost so YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES. . .YES!

VERY VERY VERY WELL SPOKEN Clynn!! You always have the perfect answers! This is so true. I do agree with Clynn, and I have to say that if your weight isn't a problem for you, then NO you probably don't want the band...

On the other hand if you are not bothered about your weight, (or you have never defined yourself by your weight) why are you looking into weight loss surgery? I think we are all bothered by our weight to a degree, some are bothered more than others. Apparently none of us are bothered to the point that super models are, or we wouldn't be here would we? :D Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to come off as a smart BUTT, I just want you to have a heart to heart with yourself, and think about the reasons YOU want to have it done.

If those reasons don't outweigh, (by FAR) the inconvenience of chewing like a mad dog, or giving up a few foods, or doing a liquid diet for a couple of weeks after surgery, then you probably don't need to have it.

Also, don't go into it thinking you are going to have SUPER FAST weightloss. Don't get me wrong, a lot of people DO. But some of us lose much slower. The average is 1-2 pounds a week. The doctor will tell you this himself. BUT, have you not ALWAYS been told that when it comes to weight loss, slower is better? I know I was told that REPEATEDLY.

I'm fine just knowing that JUST by having this band, I won't be this size NEXT year at this time. If I did nothing, I would have most likely been BIGGER this time next year. The weight is coming off slowly, but I'm not starving myself either. If I put forth a little effort, it would probably be melting off, but I am not in a big hurry. I know that just by taking it easy, I should be weighing about 160 or less this time next year. And to ME that sounded REAL good, chicken or no chicken.

Good Luck with your decision!

Donna

Donna, When I say that I don't define myself by my weight, that means that I don't let it control me. I don't walk around feeling sorry for myself because I am fat. Or letting others make me feel like I am anything less than what I am because I am overweight. I am "bothered" by being overweight, however I still think I am beautiful, sexy and a great person. I mean seriously who likes to be fat? However, there are no psychological issues here. I am just at a point in my life now that I can work a little harder at making the tough decisions to try to get down and stay down. And, I also thought it would be nice to get back down to my weight before I had three children. It scares me a little to see my father overweight and struggling with diabetes. So I thought that while I am young and healthy, except for the weight I have no other issues, I would try to lose and get back to my pre-babies weight. However, it has not been as easy as I thought because my metabolism has changed as I have gotten older and I definately have had less time to workout. I am 100 pounds overweight and my BMI is 40, so before something does start falling apart I thought I would look into the LB to see if it would help me get back on track and stay there.

OK, I got you now! ;) There's NO better reason to do it, than for your health! I gained 100 pounds with my first pregnancy. I gained 30 with my 2nd. I lost the 30, but I'm still struggling to get 70 off. I thought it would be easy enough, after having kids, but it WASN'T. (they are 4 & 6 and I'm still battling it) Right after Christmas, my doctor put me on high blood pressure meds. I have NEVER liked taking meds, but just knowing that I was having to take these because of my WEIGHT, really ticked me off. Diabetes also runs in my family, so I didn't want to take any chances there either.

I tried Weight watchers,(3 different times) LA Weightloss, Nutrisystem, Atkins Diet, Doctors & Nurses High Energy Weight loss Clinic, The Moore Clinic, Slim-Fast, Dexatrim, counting calories, joined a gym, and worked out like a crazy woman, and LASTLY the Cambridge diet, which is a liquid diet just like Optifast. It all worked for a LITTLE while, but then I'd get discouraged, and quit, and the pounds would come back, WITH FRIENDS!! :blink: Well, now with the band, I CAN'T QUIT. The band doesn't let me. So, I know NOW when I lose a couple of pounds, THEY WON'T BE BACK!

That's what makes the band worth it to me. Plus did I mention that after losing just 30 pounds, I'm off the BP meds???? YaaaaaaaaaaaY!!!

Good Luck,

Donna

it is the best money i have ever spent.

i saw some relatives this weekend that i have not seen since january and they couldnt stop saying how much it looked like i had lost. i had to laugh because my wt loss is so slow i still feel that i weigh the same as i did on my surgery date. i have gone from a size 20-22 to a size 16 but my mind hasnt processed that yet - i still see a size 20 or 22 in the mirror. i am down only 35 lbs but i know it is 35 lbs i will never see again.

i am one of the lucky ones that can eat anything as long as i chew to goo. there are days though when nothing goes down and it just isnt worth trying to eat that day, but i have learned that things will get back to normal in a day or two and i will be able to eat again.

the best part is feeling like i do have control over my portions now and i have slowed down on eating fast. you have to learn that or the Pb'ing will remind you very quickly.

the band isnt for everyone, it is a tool only. you can find ways to cheat and eat around it especially with ice cream.

however, i still think it is the best thing ever invented and i wish you luck on whatever you decide.

kim

:blink:<_< Have you experienced any problem whith hair loss? It has been about 4 months since I was banded, and I have lost about 45 pounds, but lately I have noticed that I am losing more hair than usual, is this normal?

VERY VERY VERY WELL SPOKEN Clynn!! You always have the perfect answers! This is so true. I do agree with Clynn, and I have to say that if your weight isn't a problem for you, then NO you probably don't want the band...

On the other hand if you are not bothered about your weight, (or you have never defined yourself by your weight) why are you looking into weight loss surgery? I think we are all bothered by our weight to a degree, some are bothered more than others. Apparently none of us are bothered to the point that super models are, or we wouldn't be here would we? :D Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to come off as a smart BUTT, I just want you to have a heart to heart with yourself, and think about the reasons YOU want to have it done.

If those reasons don't outweigh, (by FAR) the inconvenience of chewing like a mad dog, or giving up a few foods, or doing a liquid diet for a couple of weeks after surgery, then you probably don't need to have it.

Also, don't go into it thinking you are going to have SUPER FAST weightloss. Don't get me wrong, a lot of people DO. But some of us lose much slower. The average is 1-2 pounds a week. The doctor will tell you this himself. BUT, have you not ALWAYS been told that when it comes to weight loss, slower is better? I know I was told that REPEATEDLY.

I'm fine just knowing that JUST by having this band, I won't be this size NEXT year at this time. If I did nothing, I would have most likely been BIGGER this time next year. The weight is coming off slowly, but I'm not starving myself either. If I put forth a little effort, it would probably be melting off, but I am not in a big hurry. I know that just by taking it easy, I should be weighing about 160 or less this time next year. And to ME that sounded REAL good, chicken or no chicken.

Good Luck with your decision!

Donna

:o

Has any one experienced hair loss after the fourth month?

Hey, I'm a cosmetologist, so I have had this question asked a MILLION times! LOL

Yes, this is normal. There are several things that can be the culprit. First of all the surgery, any time you have general anesthesia, you can experience hair loss. My hair fell out like crazy after gall bladder surgery! It can also be caused by rapid weight loss, caused by sickness, liquid diets, stress, etc.

And, finally it can just be a phase. Typically a person sheds 80 hairs a day, however during the Tellagin stage, your hair sheds more rapidly, like 120-150 hairs a day. This makes it much more noticeable. However this is a NORMAL cycle.

First thing first....DO NOT PANIC, IT WILL COME BACK. In fact as you are losing it new hairs are replacing the fallen ones.

Secondly....Do not go out and spend a fortune on products promising to stop, or treat hair loss. Remember this is a phase, and will correct itself. You will just be wasting your money.

I did a liquid diet a few years ago, similar to optifast. I lost 36 pounds, and my hair started falling out like CRAZY. I mean I would have a HANDFUL of hair, everytime I took a shower. Anyway, the diet led to gallstones, which led to surgery, which led to MORE hairloss. I literally thought I was going to be BALD. I gave myself a good all over trim, and just waited. After about a month it completely stopped. A few weeks later, my hair felt just as thick as it ever had. So, don't worry, you'll be fine.

Donna

:o

Has any one experienced hair loss after the fourth month?

Thank-you for the wonderful information. I feel very much better and I will hold off on the wig shopping trip for a while. I hope you have a good day. Julie