Questions about TJ, after surgery

Hi everyone,

I'm scheduled for my surgery on August 6 (can't wait!) but I was wondering a few things:

1. We're not supposed to drink the water in Mexico so how can I know that I can get a safe, clear liquid diet while at the hotel Lucerna? What did you all drink afterward? Did you bring your own stuff and if so, what did you bring?

2. Are there any restrictions as far as how much weight you can lift after surgery? I plan on packing very light but it sounds like we don't get help with bag handling going back to US.

3. How about the flight home? Any complications? I live in Oregon so the flight's not bad.

4. What did you wish you knew before you were banded/went to TJ?

Thanks so much!

I went down on 6/18. I had no problems at all. I used the water bottles provided in the room at the Lucerna for drinking, and purchased juice boxes in town. I still used the tap water for brushing my teeth. I don't think there's a problem with TJ water like further south in Mexico, but since the bottled water was there, I drank it. I had a fruit drink in town at The Medicine Company. It's on Revolucion. It was fantastic! I ate the tortilla soup at the restaurant at The Lucerna after surgery, they blend it for "Ortiz patients" but you can also order clear chicken broth. I even ordered some of that tortilla soup to take to the airport. If you ask for water at the restaurant, they give you a water bottle and charge you $2.40. The Orangina is the same price and 100% better!

After surgery, go shopping! I went to the TJ Costco, and spent the rest of the day on Revolucion. That night, we walked to the Mall. It helps with the surgical pain and the gas.

The bellhops will leap at you to carry your bags. I recommend a light rolling carry-on bag.

I had a flight back to Seattle, had no problems at all. They will give you some pain med at the clinic. I took one for my flight. I got a pillow on the plane but didn't really need it. I was worried too, but I had no problems.

The only thing I wish I did different was travel lighter. The only things I really needed were my regular meds, toothbrush, hairbrush, nightgown for the hotel, and a couple changes of underwear. I am serious!!

Feel free to email me as much as you like: notime2qlt@aol.com

Thanks so much Rhonda! I may just take you up on your kind offer to e-mail questions. I'm trying to think of everything in advance; this forum has really helped. Best of luck on your progress!

Nancy

Thanks so much Rhonda! I may just take you up on your kind offer to e-mail questions. I'm trying to think of everything in advance; this forum has really helped. Best of luck on your progress!

Nancy

Hi Nancy,

Congrats on your upcoming surgery! I am sure you will have a great time. I know I did. I want to go back soooo bad it hurts! LOL

Rhonda pretty much said it all. It is an awesome experience all around. My surgery was on a Monday also and I arrived on a Sunday morning. Went shopping at Revolution Ave. after eating at La Casa de Mole which is kitty corner from the Lucerna. Authentic Mexican food! YUM! I hope to go back this fall for a second fill if needed. Did I mention I want to go back sooo bad?! LOL

I am in Oregon too! Where are you?

Take care and good luck!

Peace,

Judy

THERE WAS A GENTLEMAN "WE" TALKED WITH THAT LIVES AT THE HOTEL FOR WORK. HE SAID DRINK ONLY THE BOTTLED WATER AS THE TAP WATER WILL MORE THEN KEEP YOU REGULAR.

I BOUGHT SEVERAL BOTTLES OF WATER AT THE AIRPORT ONCE WE LANDED. I USED THE BOTTLED WATER AT THE HOTEL TO BRUSH MY TEETH WITH. WHEN IT SAYS BOTTLE IN MEXICO, THAT WAS ENOUGH FOR ME TO STAY AWAY LOL

THE BOTTLED WATER AT THE OCC WAS COSTCO WATER, BOTTLED IN THE US

GOOD LUCK AND CONGRATULATIONS :)

What is the name of the Mexican restaurant at the hotel? That's the one my husband and I ate in. I highly recommend the sopes and the spinach empanadas. They are both on the appetizer menu, but they are so generous we didn't need dinner.

Peace,

Hi Judy,

How great! Another Oregonian on this forum! I'm from West Linn, which is about 25 minutes south of Portland. My friend Joanna is coming with me to get banded at the same time and she's in Sellwood. Where are you?

We should keep in touch and share our experiences. I'm exactly one month away from surgery and I can't wait! When are you going back!

Congrats on your weight loss so far; that's great! I hope we can meet sometime and share an appetizer, lol.

If you want to e-mail me, you can at raven_2930@yahoo.com.

Take care,

Nancy

Hi Judy,

How great! Another Oregonian on this forum! I'm from West Linn, which is about 25 minutes south of Portland. My friend Joanna is coming with me to get banded at the same time and she's in Sellwood. Where are you?

We should keep in touch and share our experiences. I'm exactly one month away from surgery and I can't wait! When are you going back!

Congrats on your weight loss so far; that's great! I hope we can meet sometime and share an appetizer, lol.

If you want to e-mail me, you can at raven_2930@yahoo.com.

Take care,

Nancy

Hi Nancy,

I am in NE Portland in the Mt. Tabor area. There is another gal that is a sweet friend of mine and her name on here is imworthit. She lives in Gresham and was banded a week before me. She just had her first fill today with Dr. Kelly Fitzpatrick in Milwaukee. I have a fill appt. with her on the 21st. Can't go to TJ for the first fill because airfare is too high being the summer months. Three of the girls that were banded on the same day as me are going together on the 10th for their first fills. I was so bummed. I hope to go in the fall when airfare has gone down and my finances are better. If you want to have a doc for aftercare, Dr. F comes recommended by Dr. Ortiz. My friend's experience went really well with her. She has a website. It's www.gastricbands.com .

My email addy is happycats2@comcast.net and I will surely put yours in my address book as well and we can keep in touch.

I am so glad you are excited. I would be too. I had a great experience.

Take care,

Judy

1. We're not supposed to drink the water in Mexico so how can I know that I can get a safe, clear liquid diet while at the hotel Lucerna? What did you all drink afterward? Did you bring your own stuff and if so, what did you bring?

They do provide water for you at the hotel, it's called Ciela or something and it's bottled and safe. Afterward, you can purchase broth from the resturaun and they give you as much of the bottled waters as you want. In the resturaunt at the mall, they sell the spanish version of crystal lite (c lite) which I heard comes in tons of flavors and us much cheaper than from the US. You get lots of broth and juice while at the hospital. They had coffee and tea as well. You can have apple juice on the airplane.

2. Are there any restrictions as far as how much weight you can lift after surgery? I plan on packing very light but it sounds like we don't get help with bag handling going back to US.

I was told no heavy lifting for 3 weeks. To be on the safe side, make sure your luggage rolls.

3. How about the flight home? Any complications? I live in Oregon so the flight's not bad.

Not sure yet!!! I'm writing you from the computer lab at the clinic! still in my little apron thing and everything! It's a good life here though, I promise you'll love it.

4. What did you wish you knew before you were banded/went to TJ?

a teeny bit more spanish. the doctors, etc, speak well but the nurses often are talking to you in spanish and they are the ones that handle your needs for the most part. otherwise, read up on the experience a lady posted on this forum about her experience, study study study. Good luck!

Rhonda your enthusiasm is encouraging. That you can talk about shopping and not pain, fear, remorse speaks volumes of what you say. I've always heard what people don't say louder than what they do. Have you considered the Fill Center? I'm NC so far for me to run back. Best wishes on your fill. Let us know how wonderfu that goes as well.

• 1 month later...
I ate the tortilla soup at the restaurant at The Lucerna after surgery, they blend it for "Ortiz patients" but you can also order clear chicken broth. I even ordered some of that tortilla soup to take to the airport. If you ask for water at the restaurant, they give you a water bottle and charge you $2.40. The Orangina is the same price and 100% better!

ARE WE REALLY ALLOWED 'BLENDED" TORTILLA SOUP DURING POST OP AT THE LUCERNA??!! CUZ IF THAT'S ALLOWED, I'M HAVING IT FOR DINNER TONIGHT!!!!

Unless they have changed, the post-op instructions are for clear liquids for some time after surgery. This would mean any tortilla soup, however well blended, would not be appropriate. The hotel has clear broth and jello, which would be all you should be eating at that point.

The tortilla soup may be yummy, but have it before the surgery, not afterwards! You aren't really there long enough after surgery to have to worry about many meals.

My daughter had her surgery last October and has been remarkably problem-free. But the few times she has had problems have been due to her not following the doctor's instructions faithfully. In other words, be good and follow the rules!

I was told at the hotel that all public hotels and restaurants in Tijuana are required to have safe water for us gringos. While we drank bottled water, we brushed out teeth with tap water and did not have any difficulties.