August Surgery Patients

Guest alohasuzi

=D> Hi, Sonjia! I am arriving on the 22nd PM and getting banded on the 23rd!! Can't wait to meet you all!! I live in San Diego so I'll see you at the Hotel/Hospital!! I'm so excited-I just can't wait to get this done!! I haven't started any diet yet-I don't know which one to do-I've done Optifast before so I guess the easiest for me would be the all liquid. Less that 3 weeks to go!! WAHOO!!!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am getting the surgery on Aug 6th. i would like to know if anyone else is going to be getting it done at that time as well?

I'm Heather (aka ky woman) I thought you might like to hear what has happened so far. I had a little trouble in Louisville at the airport security. I was an hour early but the line was very long and they gave me a hard time about carrying liquids and meds in gallon size zip lock bags. The new standard is 3 oz containers in a quart sized bag. Some lady gave me one of hers and we transferred it to the right size before they would let us through. I had to run for the plane! The plane America Airlines had no inflight movie during the 4 hour flight. So I was glad I got an audio book from the library and listened to for entertainment and distranction. I brought one of those horseshow shaped pillows and was very comfortable. The driver that was to meet us at baggage claim was late because he had a pick-up at Delta. Our group has five people. It was about a 12 mile drive to Tiajuana and about 1.5 miles to the clinic. It is as clean and modern as any U.S. doctor's office. We had our blood drawn, EKG, pulmonary function test, dental check up (it was free) and body/fat analysis by the nutritionist. Miranda gave us the follow-up diet. Then we went to the Hotel Lucerne. It is very nice and upscale. Security in the parking lot, great pool and 2 restautants. We all at "the last supper" in the Mexican restaurant and then went swimming and exploring. Accross the street is a convenience store for purchasing clear liquid drinks, it is open 24 hours. The closest pharmacy is about a block away.

The next morning they picked us up at 7:30 and took us to the clinic. We all asked to go first but I went last. I got in at 12:00pm and was out at 12:45. I got up walking an was happy to feel so good. No nausea, abdominal soreness or bloating. I was just a little sleepy. This morning I got up early bathed, had 2 bms and packed to go back to the hotel.

Note! If you are arriving solo, they check you out of the hotel and you have to have all your stuff packed to go to the clinic. If you have a friend with you you can leave most of your stuff in the hotel.

This morning still feeling great. They gave me IV antibotics, a breathing treatement, cup of broth and a popcicle. They tell us we will be checked by the doctor and taken to the hotel by 9:30.

I'm planning to do a little sightseeing at the open market and leave for home at 9:05 am

Guest flatrish
I'm Heather (aka ky woman) I thought you might like to hear what has happened so far. I had a little trouble in Louisville at the airport security. I was an hour early but the line was very long and they gave me a hard time about carrying liquids and meds in gallon size zip lock bags. The new standard is 3 oz containers in a quart sized bag. Some lady gave me one of hers and we transferred it to the right size before they would let us through. I had to run for the plane! The plane America Airlines had no inflight movie during the 4 hour flight. So I was glad I got an audio book from the library and listened to for entertainment and distranction. I brought one of those horseshow shaped pillows and was very comfortable. The driver that was to meet us at baggage claim was late because he had a pick-up at Delta. Our group has five people. It was about a 12 mile drive to Tiajuana and about 1.5 miles to the clinic. It is as clean and modern as any U.S. doctor's office. We had our blood drawn, EKG, pulmonary function test, dental check up (it was free) and body/fat analysis by the nutritionist. Miranda gave us the follow-up diet. Then we went to the Hotel Lucerne. It is very nice and upscale. Security in the parking lot, great pool and 2 restautants. We all at "the last supper" in the Mexican restaurant and then went swimming and exploring. Accross the street is a convenience store for purchasing clear liquid drinks, it is open 24 hours. The closest pharmacy is about a block away.

The next morning they picked us up at 7:30 and took us to the clinic. We all asked to go first but I went last. I got in at 12:00pm and was out at 12:45. I got up walking an was happy to feel so good. No nausea, abdominal soreness or bloating. I was just a little sleepy. This morning I got up early bathed, had 2 bms and packed to go back to the hotel.

Note! If you are arriving solo, they check you out of the hotel and you have to have all your stuff packed to go to the clinic. If you have a friend with you you can leave most of your stuff in the hotel.

This morning still feeling great. They gave me IV antibotics, a breathing treatement, cup of broth and a popcicle. They tell us we will be checked by the doctor and taken to the hotel by 9:30.

I'm planning to do a little sightseeing at the open market and leave for home at 9:05 am

This was a good update for me to read this morning. I'm glad things are going well for you. I'm one week away and getting nervous but it is nice to read your experience.

Hey everyone,

Just checking to see if anyone is coming in on 12th and having surgery on the 13th. I see everyone is around my dates :unsure:

How is the pre op diet going? i am really struggling ... im am soooo hungry. :( any tips? i am terrified that i will

not lose enough weight before my surgery date of 8/17/07 ....

Guest flatrish
How is the pre op diet going? i am really struggling ... im am soooo hungry. :( any tips? i am terrified that i will

not lose enough weight before my surgery date of 8/17/07 ....

It is going ok during the week while I'm at work, but this past weekend it was tough. My only tip is I try not to think about (easier said than done). If I keep myself busy it is easier. I've also invested in the sugar free popsicles! They get me through when I just have to have something.

This was a good update for me to read this morning. I'm glad things are going well for you. I'm one week away and getting nervous but it is nice to read your experience.

Want to hear more? I had the surgery on Friday and was released on Sat am. I took the $5 taxi to Revolution boulevard to shop. I had NO PAIN! I never even took a Tylenol. The five of us were banded the same day and I was the only one completely pain free. I atribute ths to the colon clense I did before the surgery. I still have no bloating or pain. I could have gone back to work today. =D>

Guest flatrish
Want to hear more? I had the surgery on Friday and was released on Sat am. I took the $5 taxi to Revolution boulevard to shop. I had NO PAIN! I never even took a Tylenol. The five of us were banded the same day and I was the only one completely pain free. I atribute ths to the colon clense I did before the surgery. I still have no bloating or pain. I could have gone back to work today. =D>

Awesome! I also did a seven day clense thing from GNC, hoping to flush out all bad stuff! :-) I'm getting excited. I wish you the best of luck during your next few weeks.

Hi

Unless I missed it, I see no one else getting banded on the 20th. :unsure: Is that true?

Best wishes to all,

Amber

I am being banded on the 20th! I am coming in from Atlanta on the 19th and I am SO excited!!! Less than two weeks away, it just seems so unreal! :D

~Lauren

Hi, all!

This is my inaugural post.

I have confirmed my surgery date of August 22nd just today! Just fourteen days until liftoff.

I am very excited and just a little bit nervous. I have no idea how I am going to lose 10 lbs in 2 weeks without an amputation.

I am also from Atlanta, LaurenLeigh. Are you planning to use the Fill Center USA in Roswell?

Yes, I am! Lol. I figure that's easier than going to Mexico every time, although it would be an excuse for a nice vacation! Have you had your surgery yet?

Nope, I'm up for surgery on the 22nd. Two weeks from today.

Ahh, I'm just two days before you! I'll be heading out on the day you're flying in.

I wonder if there are any local support meetings around here that aren't doctor specific. I've heard that folks who go to support meetings seem to do better losing wieght and keeping it off. A local surgeon said that at an Atlanta Bariatrics seminar I went to a few months back. I know they had their own support meetings. I know there is a Yahoo group called "Wings Around Atlanta" for people who've had WLS and I think they might have meetings. I'm definitely going to check that out. I'm over in Gwinnett, where are you?

Ahh, I'm just two days before you! I'll be heading out on the day you're flying in.

I wonder if there are any local support meetings around here that aren't doctor specific. I've heard that folks who go to support meetings seem to do better losing wieght and keeping it off. A local surgeon said that at an Atlanta Bariatrics seminar I went to a few months back. I know they had their own support meetings. I know there is a Yahoo group called "Wings Around Atlanta" for people who've had WLS and I think they might have meetings. I'm definitely going to check that out. I'm over in Gwinnett, where are you?

I hadn't heard about the Yahoo group, I had read about some of the local groups associated with local surgeons. I'm in intown Decatur, near Emory University. I know that the Emory Bariatric Center has a support group and they even specify that they take non-Emory post-ops in the group:

http://www.emoryhealthcare.org/departments...pportgroup.html

I am considering checking it out. I also thought possibly going to Fill Center USA would put me in touch with some other Atlanta post-op lap band patients.

I hadn't heard about the Yahoo group, I had read about some of the local groups associated with local surgeons. I'm in intown Decatur, near Emory University. I know that the Emory Bariatric Center has a support group and they even specify that they take non-Emory post-ops in the group:

http://www.emoryhealthcare.org/departments...pportgroup.html

I am considering checking it out. I also thought possibly going to Fill Center USA would put me in touch with some other Atlanta post-op lap band patients.

I am definitely going to try out the Fill Center USA. If that experience doesn't go well (I've read mixed posts about their various locations), I may try to find a local surgeon that will do fills for me. There are SO many of them in Atl that surely someone will do it if I don't like the Fill Center USA. If not, I'll head to Mexico, I guess! Lol. :D

Hello all! I'm a newbie - but I'm scheduled for 8/28!! It all feels like such the whirlwind - I attended a meeting 3 days ago where I saw a colleague who had lost over 80 lbs with bariatric surgery (Roux en Y) -- last year, I had done surgery on bariatric surgery and had decided that lap bands would be my choice - I Had even settled on 2 potential docs -- but then I chickened out (no pun intended!) when I discovered that I would have to give up diet 7-ups for good!!! At the time, it seemed impossible, and I decided to return to the world of dieting.

So now I'm a year older, with 3 more diets and 20 lbs (up) under my belt, and I give UP on the traditional up and down roller coaster I've suffered through since age 9!!! The truth is I love to "cheat" on diets - it gives me such pleasure! So I need the Pavlovian kick in the rear that will come if/when I fall off the wagon -- although I am already mourning the loss of my diet 7! But for the first time, I am willing to make this difficult choice for the sake of freedom from this infernal roller coaster of up and down. Anything's got to be healthier than being 43 with a BMI of 34 and various comorbodities starting to crop up!

Anyhow, I just spoke to Lorie and I"m set for the 28th. As soon as she sends out the diet, I guess I need to lose some weight first (10 lbs? More?) How is that possible???) Anyone in for surgery on 8/28? I'd love to hear from you! I'll be coming with my husband and 6 1/2 year old son - so if you're coming alone, you won't be alone once there. Those of you on 8/27, I"ll be looking for your happy faces on my testing day!

Danielle

Hello all! I'm a newbie - but I'm scheduled for 8/28!! It all feels like such the whirlwind - I attended a meeting 3 days ago where I saw a colleague who had lost over 80 lbs with bariatric surgery (Roux en Y) -- last year, I had done surgery on bariatric surgery and had decided that lap bands would be my choice - I Had even settled on 2 potential docs -- but then I chickened out (no pun intended!) when I discovered that I would have to give up diet 7-ups for good!!! At the time, it seemed impossible, and I decided to return to the world of dieting.

So now I'm a year older, with 3 more diets and 20 lbs (up) under my belt, and I give UP on the traditional up and down roller coaster I've suffered through since age 9!!! The truth is I love to "cheat" on diets - it gives me such pleasure! So I need the Pavlovian kick in the rear that will come if/when I fall off the wagon -- although I am already mourning the loss of my diet 7! But for the first time, I am willing to make this difficult choice for the sake of freedom from this infernal roller coaster of up and down. Anything's got to be healthier than being 43 with a BMI of 34 and various comorbodities starting to crop up!

Anyhow, I just spoke to Lorie and I"m set for the 28th. As soon as she sends out the diet, I guess I need to lose some weight first (10 lbs? More?) How is that possible???) Anyone in for surgery on 8/28? I'd love to hear from you! I'll be coming with my husband and 6 1/2 year old son - so if you're coming alone, you won't be alone once there. Those of you on 8/27, I"ll be looking for your happy faces on my testing day!

Danielle

I am going in on the 31st. I am having such a hard time getting started on the diet because I feel like I will never be eating (at will) again once I get the surgery.... I am going out of town this weekend and when I get back it's time to get motivated. This is sooo scary and so exciting!!!

Hi Everybody,

Just about two weeks before my surgery... I am getting soooooo excited and scared! Dr. Miranda asked that I lose 30 pounds before my surgery, I am down 28 pounds and hoping I drop the last two in this last 14 day countdown! Keep your fingers crossed for me! ;) I haven't read of anyone else having their surgery on August 24th... but, I look forward to meeting some people.

I live in the Cayman Islands and am flying to the States - Myrtle Beach, SC (where my Mom lives) on August 20th. Thank GOD, my Mom is coming with me to Tijuana! =D> She is flying out to San Diego with me on August 23rd... anyone else arriving then?

I found another cool site with lots of good info, stuff to order and a forum at www.beforeandafterhelp.com I have ordered some of the protein drinks to be prepared... any other suggestions out there?

Well, GOOD LUCK to all the other August surgeries! ><'

Think positive thoughts for me!

Best wishes,

Dottie

Danielle

I am scheduled on the 27th for my surgery I started my pre-op weightloss and have dropped 13.5lbs (which is what I am supposed to lose) but I am trying for at least 18 just to make sure they don't turn me away at the door. :blink: I can't even put into words how excited I am for my next life changing step. I to have been on the forever roller coaster, could explain my fear of roller coasters :huh: . Don't remember a time when I didn't weigh over 250lbs. Oh I think I was 180 at the end of grade school.

My husband is accompanying me we are leaving our two kids my adorable step-daughter 4 years old and my 1st son 8 months old with their grand parents in Utah. So not only am I looking forward to the surgery but the three days of a full night's sleep that go with it...I hope.

Well hope to see you there Danielle! Have a safe trip.

Jen

Hi Everybody,

Just about two weeks before my surgery... I am getting soooooo excited and scared! Dr. Miranda asked that I lose 30 pounds before my surgery, I am down 28 pounds and hoping I drop the last two in this last 14 day countdown! Keep your fingers crossed for me! ;) I haven't read of anyone else having their surgery on August 24th... but, I look forward to meeting some people.

I live in the Cayman Islands and am flying to the States - Myrtle Beach, SC (where my Mom lives) on August 20th. Thank GOD, my Mom is coming with me to Tijuana! =D> She is flying out to San Diego with me on August 23rd... anyone else arriving then?

I found another cool site with lots of good info, stuff to order and a forum at www.beforeandafterhelp.com I have ordered some of the protein drinks to be prepared... any other suggestions out there?

Well, GOOD LUCK to all the other August surgeries! ><'

Think positive thoughts for me!

Best wishes,

Dottie

Good Luck, Dottie! And Good Luck to all you other August folks! I've 10 days left 'til "go time" I am so nervous! I know I am going to be a basket-case as soon as I pull out of my driveway to head to the airport! Thankfully my husband is coming along, nothing rattles him! Lol.

Good Luck, Y'all!!!!!

Hi I'm scheduled to be banded on the 21st - arrive on 20th. Feeling scared - excited- hopeful - determined - and right now hungry but I will lose the 10 lbs needed!!!

A little about me - In 1972 I had a gastric bypass that is no longer done because it was too dangerous. I lost 125 lbs and kept it off until I had to have the surgery undone (due to malabsorbtion) in 1986. Gradually I have put every lb back on plus 25 more. Being thin changed my life. I want that feeling back! In Dec. I am joining my son, DIL, and 2 grandaughters at Disney World and I want to have the energy to enjoy the visit. Last time I wanted to be thin - this time I want to get healthy.

I have been reading the posts and have founsd so many helpful ideas. Thanks to all who post here!

Anyone else scheduled for the 21st?

Hello Everyone,

I'm scheduled for surgery on the 29th arriving from NC with my BF on the 28th. I am excited and nervous at the same time. Thank goodness for a supportive boyfriend who is flying in from Iraq to be by my side. I'm currently doing Atkins until 7 days before surgery when I'll start the liquid/Lean Cuisine diet. I have to lose 13 lbs which is not coming off easily. I keep wondering why I have to lose weight to have a weight loss surgery. If I had the willpower I wouldn't need the surgery, right??? Anyway, I hope to join Weight Watchers afterwards to relearn healthy eating. I will lose this weight by any means necessary and I will keep it off!!

I am scheduled on the 27th for my surgery I started my pre-op weightloss and have dropped 13.5lbs (which is what I am supposed to lose) but I am trying for at least 18 just to make sure they don't turn me away at the door. :blink: I can't even put into words how excited I am for my next life changing step. I to have been on the forever roller coaster, could explain my fear of roller coasters :huh: . Don't remember a time when I didn't weigh over 250lbs. Oh I think I was 180 at the end of grade school.

My husband is accompanying me we are leaving our two kids my adorable step-daughter 4 years old and my 1st son 8 months old with their grand parents in Utah. So not only am I looking forward to the surgery but the three days of a full night's sleep that go with it...I hope.

Well hope to see you there Danielle! Have a safe trip.

Jen

Jen, I will look for you when I come in for pre-op testing (and on the 28th when I come in...as you check out!) That's so great that you've lost 13 lbs -- I haven't even gathered the courage to see how much I really weigh - will "hop" on scale tomorrow to find out what 5% will entail!!