Where is the port ?

I am sched. on 08/08/07 for lap-band surgery. But I have been reading everyones nightmare stories of the "fills."

Do you feel where the port is through your skin ? If so then you could numb it with Emla cream RX'd by a doctor then you wouldnt feel that awful needle. I just want to know can you feel the port just by rubbing your skin ? I am wondering is this surgery worth the trouble ? I am scared !!!

I am sched. on 08/08/07 for lap-band surgery. But I have been reading everyones nightmare stories of the "fills."

Do you feel where the port is through your skin ? If so then you could numb it with Emla cream RX'd by a doctor then you wouldnt feel that awful needle. I just want to know can you feel the port just by rubbing your skin ? I am wondering is this surgery worth the trouble ? I am scared !!!

Most people will not be able to feel the port under their skin until they have lost a significant amount of body weight. I still can't feel mine. In TJ they have a lidocaine based spray that is instantaneous to numb the skin (EMLA takes too long). What "nightmare stories" are scaring you? I didn't find the fills that stressful. The biggest stress was waiting in line to get out of Mexico. Personally, I think it was every bit worth it. In the past I was never able to achieve and maintain this kind of weight loss. I would plateau in the 170-180 area and give up and bounce back over 200.

Thanks for that info. I am starting to feel a little better about things. As far as the nightmare stories, I've heard how they have to stick you several times and that the needle was intimidating. I guess I am a big sissy when it comes to needles. Does it really cost 100.00 every fill ?

I have never been stuck more than once per fill. Dr. Romero is the best. The fills are free. You are paying 100.00 for the flouro, which insures you only get stuck once, and checks up on your band. BTW I have never had my skin numbed and it has never hurt. No worries if you get you fills in TJ. Nita

I am the world's biggest baby and I've had 2 fills and an unfill from Dr. Romero - no pain AT ALL other than if someone came up and pinched you. I can't even look down at the needle or I'd pass out, but he hits that spot like a pro :)

I'm making an appointment with Fill Centers because of the time/costs restraints, but I swear if they aren't as good, I'm headed back to TJ ;)