Info on getting fills

No Worry,

Personally, I would get a fill,

IF............

I could consume more food in a day, or for a total of one week than the amount I needed to lose weight. In other words, for me, if I could eat to much food in a day, calculate for a week and if you feel your eating to much for your body to lose the weight, I would go for a fill. Do not diet, either during this time. Just eat what your in the mood for, whatever, whenever. With me, I know I will not lose weight if I constantly am grazing. If I am filled properly, I do not think about grazing and I am restricted in that I cannot consume to much food to overeat because the band does most of the work, since I rely heavily on it for my non-consumption (?) of food.

Try it.

This is only my observation. If I waited the 3 weeks to determine things, I WILL GAIN 20 FRIGGIN POUNDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teri

That's very valuable information, Teri. Thanks.

This is only my observation. If I waited the 3 weeks to determine things, I WILL GAIN 20 FRIGGIN POUNDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's the shortest period of time you would wait between fills (to give your stomach enough time for the swelling to go down)?

What's the shortest period of time you would wait between fills (to give your stomach enough time for the swelling to go down)?

I had my first three over five weeks and would have pushed them a little closer if scheduling had permitted. The local fill places I've used will make slight adjustments within a week or two for reduced prices if needed. I understood the importance of fills and planned to do whatever was necessary.

Really the first fill seems to be the most traumatic to the stomach and has the most chance for causing some swelling. After that the adjustments are slight and I seemed to know if there was a difference pretty quick. I think that once any remaining air has worked out the fills can be much more noticible and hold better.

Please remember that everyones tolerance for a fill is different. I was a bit more careful after a fill, but I worked myself through a couple that most would consider too tight. As long as I could keep liquids down, I could usually eat something late and the weight loss eventually eased up the tightness. I probably went through more foaming, sliming, and PBing than most would want to. Thats one extreme but I needed a hard indicator of when to stop. Most are content with eating less and then staying full longer. Depending on your food choices, you will loose weight. But I think there is a lot of range in-between and thats a very personal choice. It does take some time and practice with the band to know what you are comfortable with.

And fill level is simply not an indicator of tightness. I was at 6.2 at the highest in myVG, but many are well over that.

I had my first three over five weeks and would have pushed them a little closer if scheduling had permitted.

Wow! Thanks, Roger. That's the most detailed and valuable information I've found on this subject since I started looking. I really appreciate you sharing it. I had formed the impression that I should wait a minimum of 2 weeks between fills and was concerned that even that might not be long enough, but I'm dramatically revising that threshold on the basis of the information you've provided.

I think my preference is also for a fill more on the snug side of the acceptable range. I have no problem with a protein shake diet, especially if the band is going to help enforce it.

The general opinion on this forum of non-OCC fill centers seems mixed, with a leaning towards the negative side. I gather that your experience at your local fill center has been positive?

The general opinion on this forum of non-OCC fill centers seems mixed, with a leaning towards the negative side. I gather that your experience at your local fill center has been positive?

Actually, I think my fill in TJ by Dr. Romero was probably the best of them. My opinion is that local fill clinics just push some saline in and tend to go on the conservative side. My first three were local, but under fluro, and I was also disappointed with the results and that is why I kept going back. I don't think they worked out the air as well as Dr. Romero would have and I didn't return there. After my TJ fill, I went to a different fill center without fluro. This fill was more of a calculated guess with the amount being my decision, and they would have allowed me to do more. You need to be informed and an active participant in this decision.

The benefit of a local fill is the ability to have more frequent, smaller fills to to work into your tolerence level. For many, the travel time and cost associated with going back to OCC is prohibitive to do this. However, in my opinion, I would have gone back to TJ for all my fills if time permitted. I also think the fill process is just as important as the surgery portion, and most do not plan for them accordingly. There is a cost and time committment that that you must be responsible for to make this work. Why have the band put in if you're not going to use it?

The surgery part is precise and why I chose OCC, fill management is not. Don't complain, just do what you need to do. It is frustrating in the beginning, but it will get there.

I also think the fill process is just as important as the surgery portion, and most do not plan for them accordingly. There is a cost and time committment that that you must be responsible for to make this work.

I was simply not aware of this. Now that I'm learning this is true, I'm changing my plans and expectations accordingly.

The surgery part is precise and why I chose OCC, fill management is not. Don't complain, just do what you need to do. It is frustrating in the beginning, but it will get there.

The tough part so far has been actually figuring out what I needed to do. I'm now preparing myself for multiple additional fills. I've started the process of making an appointment with FillCentersUSA for a fill next week. The Dr is very new and I'll be his 9th patient. :gulp: But I guess that even Ortiz and Romero had to have a 9th before they got to their thousands.

That's very valuable information, Teri. Thanks.

NoWorry,

One WEEK. I have gone in sooner, after some swelling and it wasn't enough time, since I swelled again. One week seems ok for me and is what Dr. Romero suggested. This last time, I waited the week and it's proven to be good so far. In that one week, I did gain 7 pounds. But new I needed that saline back in and fast. hahehehe

Teri

NoWorry,

One WEEK. I have gone in sooner, after some swelling and it wasn't enough time, since I swelled again. One week seems ok for me and is what Dr. Romero suggested. This last time, I waited the week and it's proven to be good so far. In that one week, I did gain 7 pounds. But new I needed that saline back in and fast. hahehehe

Teri

I knew the length since it's in your sig ;) but it's good to know all was OK with doing it w/in a week. I'm planning on getting another one which would make it 2 weeks between fills. I know some people have said it takes up to 2 weeks to feel a restriction but as of now, nada on this end :(

• 2 weeks later...
I know some people have said it takes up to 2 weeks to feel a restriction but as of now, nada on this end :(

Are you sure about this? As it was explained to me, immediately following a fill, the stomach gets a little inflamed which results in a fill feeling a little more restrictive than it really is. Within 2-3 days, the inflammation goes down which actually slightly reduces the restriction.

Is there any reason for believing that the restriction increases after 2 weeks?

I knew the length since it's in your sig ;) but it's good to know all was OK with doing it w/in a week. I'm planning on getting another one which would make it 2 weeks between fills. I know some people have said it takes up to 2 weeks to feel a restriction but as of now, nada on this end :(

Please let me clarify!!!!!!!!!

I mentioned ONE week, after being filled to my sweet spot for 2 months. I happened to become so swollen and couldn't drink anything, so I had some saline taken out. I waited ONE week before I went back again (which is what Dr. Romero suggested because of my circumstances) :) Teri

Are you sure about this? As it was explained to me, immediately following a fill, the stomach gets a little inflamed which results in a fill feeling a little more restrictive than it really is. Within 2-3 days, the inflammation goes down which actually slightly reduces the restriction.

Is there any reason for believing that the restriction increases after 2 weeks?

Yes, in fact there's a Yahoo group I was a member of that mentioned this quite frequently AND during my last Fill Centers USA fill, the filler said she had attended a conference the day before and several people talked about it happening to them. What's even stranger is that "2 weeks" seemed to be the standard time it took for the restriction. Who knows why??!!

I just got what I consider my 3rd fill (I thought I had 1.4 on the last one, but I didn't, I had 1.2 so NOW I have 1.4). During the fill I was tight. That night I loosened up. Now I have no restriction 3 days later :( I'm HOPING I'm one of those that tightens up after a week or so. If not, time to head back and get a bit more in. I think my nerves might be tightening me up during my fill keeping the barium from going down quickly. Next time I'm taking a Xanax first ;)

Honestly, after being overfilled that one time I'm more than happy to pay the $$$ to get small fills until we find the sweet spot. Beside food poisoning, I have NEVER been so miserably sick than I was when I was overfilled. And again, I was eating fine the first 2-3 days after that fill, then was spitting up my own saliva.

But I WILL make it work. Period. I have too much time and $$$ invested not to :)

True to whatever weird form there is in the banding universe, I am feeling MUCH more restriction now than I was. Right now I am at the PERFECT spot. Hopefully this will last for awhile, lol. Starting to put a dent in the 5 (GASP!) pounds I gained back when I lost restriction.

Just came back from TJ having had my second fill. I went from 1.8mls (cc's) to 2.8mls (cc's). What a big fill!!. I do feel some restriction and cannot eat EVERYTHING in ANY amount. WOOOHOOO!! Im so excited now hopefully i too can lose the 6 lbs i gained back plus some. Good luck all and Furellie, if i can get my computer to work right, i will finally be able to email you soon.Take care.

Just came back from TJ having had my second fill. I went from 1.8mls (cc's) to 2.8mls (cc's). What a big fill!!. I do feel some restriction and cannot eat EVERYTHING in ANY amount. WOOOHOOO!! Im so excited now hopefully i too can lose the 6 lbs i gained back plus some. Good luck all and Furellie, if i can get my computer to work right, i will finally be able to email you soon.Take care.

YOU GO GIRL! Seems my first Fill Centers Fill was 1.2, not the 1.4 I thought I had (I have problems with numbers.....). Now I have 1.4 and it seems to be working PERFECTLY. The first few days I was able to more, but then it kicked in. But unlike the overfill, I'm able to get stuff in. I've been living off Trader Joe's soups :) Yeah, they're high in calories and fat, but 1-2 a day is better than not eating at all. ;)