Band Instant Restriction Behavior... Why?

Hello fellow bandfans,

Thought for once I'd report a incident that has changed how my band is providing restriction. This last Saturday I exercised the whole day cleaning floors with commercial equipment, you know the kind with the rotating brushes on the bottom. It was a long day as I trudged through cleaning our floors with this heavy and big machine. My chest and arm muscles were especially fatigued after the ordeal. As we had dinner that evening (mashed potatoes, peas, tofu, I'm vegetarian) I noticed a marked increase in restriction. In fact I PB'ed for about 45 minutes because I had no idea it would be so tight to eat. Sunday, Monday, and now Tuesday have all been the same with a large increase in tightness at the band site and a decrease overall in hunger. Biologically I can only guess why the sudden increase might be from strenuous exercise but in what way? If anyone can correlate this with their own experience I would like to hear your experience. Now I am not complaining as I have needed this level of restriction and am thrilled it kicked in. But

Hello fellow bandfans,

Thought for once I'd report a incident that has changed how my band is providing restriction. This last Saturday I exercised the whole day cleaning floors with commercial equipment, you know the kind with the rotating brushes on the bottom. It was a long day as I trudged through cleaning our floors with this heavy and big machine. My chest and arm muscles were especially fatigued after the ordeal. As we had dinner that evening (mashed potatoes, peas, tofu, I'm vegetarian) I noticed a marked increase in restriction. In fact I PB'ed for about 45 minutes because I had no idea it would be so tight to eat. Sunday, Monday, and now Tuesday have all been the same with a large increase in tightness at the band site and a decrease overall in hunger. Biologically I can only guess why the sudden increase might be from strenuous exercise but in what way? If anyone can correlate this with their own experience I would like to hear your experience. Now I am not complaining as I have needed this level of restriction and am thrilled it kicked in. But

Kevin,

i am 9 months out and still dont get the band sometimes. i too am working out everyday but i havent noticed a clear pattern for being tighter from exercising. From what you described i am thinking that you irritated the stomach/band from the pb'ing experience and right now you are tight because you are still swollen from that pb'ing. i bet if you go on liquids for 2 days things will be back to normal.

I pb'd yesterday at lunch but was able to eat a larger dinner than normal (2 soft tacos when i would normally only get one down). Still no rhyme or reason because sometimes i have to go to liquids after pb'ing and sometimes i dont...

oh one more thing, i have the VG band too and i havent had a fill in many months. i will go a week or 2 with no restriction and think i need a fill and it seems as soon as i make that decision i suddenly have restriction again. i dont know if that is mental for not wanting to be too tight or what but i have been lucky with the VG band and have only had 3 fills by waiting and riding it out.

sorry, i guess i am no help at all!! hehe!!

kim

Hi Kim and Kevin,

Were all about the same time in getting banded. It's hard to believe how fast the time has gone by, getting closer to the year mark. I'm with ya Kim on the trying to figure out the band. It's hard to answer questions at times from people on the board because the band is something you adapt to and only you can do the adapting. It varies wildly at times.

Kyle thinks restriction is order a pizza, eat, get stuck, pb, eat some more, never get full, eat all evening and eat almost the whole pizza. (MED SIZE) doesn't make sense to me, at all.

My restriction is order a kids meal, eat the size of 1/4 to 1/2 cup and I'm stuffed- or eat a few bites from my hubby's meal.

I think becoming swollen after pb-ing will come into play when you try to eat something again. From my experience, you will be tighter. I have to go back to soups or liquids such in protien drinks, and still very tiny sips. Maybe, since you were on your feet all day, you were swollen from that all over and it affected your esophagus too. It's crazy. It's hard to pin-point reasons. It does get confusing, especially when your looking for answers, so you can prepare yourself for the next time. But......................the next time, you react differently to the same thing you might have ate when you pb'd.

Totally extreme.

If you find out, let us know, hehehe

Teri

Kevin,

i am 9 months out and still dont get the band sometimes. i too am working out everyday but i havent noticed a clear pattern for being tighter from exercising. From what you described i am thinking that you irritated the stomach/band from the pb'ing experience and right now you are tight because you are still swollen from that pb'ing. i bet if you go on liquids for 2 days things will be back to normal.

I pb'd yesterday at lunch but was able to eat a larger dinner than normal (2 soft tacos when i would normally only get one down). Still no rhyme or reason because sometimes i have to go to liquids after pb'ing and sometimes i dont...

oh one more thing, i have the VG band too and i havent had a fill in many months. i will go a week or 2 with no restriction and think i need a fill and it seems as soon as i make that decision i suddenly have restriction again. i dont know if that is mental for not wanting to be too tight or what but i have been lucky with the VG band and have only had 3 fills by waiting and riding it out.

sorry, i guess i am no help at all!! hehe!!

kim

Kim and Terri,

I too have the VG and I bet you hit the nail on the head with the swelling after PBing. First time I experienced this and was hoping it would stay - the restriction that is. But it probably means I need another fill to get the restriction I want. As you can see in my signature history I am almost a fill junkie as I just have not hit that sweet spot and I am vegetarian and food seems to move through very easily.

Thanks for the post and enlightenment!

my guess... just a guess... you were a bit dehydrated so you food stuck more than usual. Again, just a guess.

That sounds like a very logical conclusion. I had no idea dehydration could have that effect. I drink plenty of liquids usually but with this hot weather I probably need even more than I realize. THX Lori!