feeling lousy on day 4

mryanbears

Guest marys

Hi,

I think it's always important to call the doctor to ask about these things - then you can be reassured, etc. However, it probably is fine - you did have surgery and it takes time for the body to heal. Also you are on liquids so not getting tons of calories so you won't have the strength right away that you had pre surgery. Also, are you back at work already - that really can take a toll - make sure you are drinking the required gatoraide so your electrolytes, etc. are staying in balance. The port site/incision site can be sore on and off for some time so that also seems normal. Again, call the doctor just to be sure, but it sounds pretty normal to me. Hang in there!

I am at day 4 post op and feel really weak and have had a really bad headache for 2 days.  Is this normal and are there any suggestions?  I am still having a lot of pain in the area where the port is.

Please tell me this will get better? :(

1971[/snapback]

Liquid Adult Strength Tylenol. Get the Cherry flavor, tastes better. I get mine at CVS. But I think Walgreens and WalMart have it too.

For the port pain, try leaning into a pillow with a heating pad set on low. It will do wonders for you.

No worries, it will get better.

My doctor warned me that lethargy and a general foggy 'depression' may set in.

This is mostly due to the lack of nutrients on a liquid diet - you're suddenly getting no protein and if you're as meat eater you'll feel that effect.

As a vegetarian I'm not suffering nearly as much, I'm 9 days out, but I do have a constant dull headache and felt very sleepy for the first 5 days.

As long as you keep up your soluable multivitamins, your body should settle down and get used to the new nutrient intake within a few weeks.

or so I'm told, and I hope is true.

Feel better.

• 2 months later...

I am at day 4 post op and feel really weak and have had a really bad headache for 2 days. Is this normal and are there any suggestions? I am still having a lot of pain in the area where the port is.

Please tell me this will get better? :(

I had surgery on 5 May, 2006 and I am amazed that I have not had one headache, have been wide awake during the day and other than feeling very bloated and some port site pain, I feel really good. I know I am not taking in all I should be, but this bloat is making it difficult for me to "eat". I begin each day with a product called Tropical Oasis Multi-Vitamin Mineral. I purchased it at Whole Foods for $29.95 a bottle, which is a 30 day supply. It is a liquid supplement and is actually quite tasty. If you cannot find it in your local market, their web site is

http://www.tropicaloasis.com/site/page/pg4...in_Mineral.html

I have also been steering clear of things like Gatorade as there is way too much sodium and sugar in the product. I have been sticking to clear chicken, beef and vegetable broth, Sugar Free Jello, an occasional Popsicle and a bottle of Vitamin Water a day. The Vitamin Water is not sugary, has extra vitamins and is clear. I should probably have more broth for the protein, but again, the bloating makes it difficult. On Friday, I am looking forward to Cream of Wheat and a soft boiled egg. Truly!