TJ or FL for 1st Fill?

Hi Everybody,

I was banded two weeks ago on August 24th by Dr. Ortiz and I can't sing OCC praises loud enough! They were absolutely FABULOUS!!!! I felt good on the 25th and fine on the morning of the 26th...but, once I was on the plane heading back to South Carolina.... the worst day of my life! I clutched an airsick bag the entire 12 hours it took to get back to my Mom's. Not a happy camper to say the least!

I have had my down days (3), but mostly up days... just taking one day at a time...I would do it all again in a heartbeat. I have lost 9lbs since the surgery and hope to keep watching it go down. One week to go before I start solids... anticipation! So, now... I am thinking about my 1st fill.

A return flight to TJ scares the crap out of me...but, I want to make sure I do this right! I live in the Cayman Islands and return to the Caymans on October 19th. I am staying here in South Carolina with my Mom... my job is very active and I wanted to make sure I was 100%+ ready to go back to work. I have decided that from the Caymans... it would be easiest and less costly to fly to Tampa, FL for any fills or adjustments I might need in the future. I have heard only good things about Kathy Gonzales, who does the fills in St. Petersburg at one of the FillUSA Centers.

The plus side about going to Tampa is that I have friends who live there and would have a place to stay for several days to give the fill time to adjust... as opposed to going to TJ... where I will have to pay for a hotel and transportation and get back on a plane for a LONG ride back to the east coast.

I called a local bariatric surgeon in Conway, SC and he wants a $1000 program fee up front and then $300 per office visit and fill... can you believe those prices?

My mom's next door neighbor's sister... had the lapband three years ago and she looks great... having lost 120 pounds. She didn't get her first fill until 6 months after the surgery. Is there anyone monitoring this forum that didn't get their first fill after the surgery some 4 months or longer? Do the majority get it 6 weeks out? What do I look for when it is time for a fill? Volume of food I can eat? Losing weight?

Thanks guys...

So... any thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Dottie

Hi Everybody,

I was banded two weeks ago on August 24th by Dr. Ortiz and I can't sing OCC praises loud enough! They were absolutely FABULOUS!!!! I felt good on the 25th and fine on the morning of the 26th...but, once I was on the plane heading back to South Carolina.... the worst day of my life! I clutched an airsick bag the entire 12 hours it took to get back to my Mom's. Not a happy camper to say the least!

I have had my down days (3), but mostly up days... just taking one day at a time...I would do it all again in a heartbeat. I have lost 9lbs since the surgery and hope to keep watching it go down. One week to go before I start solids... anticipation! So, now... I am thinking about my 1st fill.

A return flight to TJ scares the crap out of me...but, I want to make sure I do this right! I live in the Cayman Islands and return to the Caymans on October 19th. I am staying here in South Carolina with my Mom... my job is very active and I wanted to make sure I was 100%+ ready to go back to work. I have decided that from the Caymans... it would be easiest and less costly to fly to Tampa, FL for any fills or adjustments I might need in the future. I have heard only good things about Kathy Gonzales, who does the fills in St. Petersburg at one of the FillUSA Centers.

The plus side about going to Tampa is that I have friends who live there and would have a place to stay for several days to give the fill time to adjust... as opposed to going to TJ... where I will have to pay for a hotel and transportation and get back on a plane for a LONG ride back to the east coast.

I called a local bariatric surgeon in Conway, SC and he wants a $1000 program fee up front and then $300 per office visit and fill... can you believe those prices?

My mom's next door neighbor's sister... had the lapband three years ago and she looks great... having lost 120 pounds. She didn't get her first fill until 6 months after the surgery. Is there anyone monitoring this forum that didn't get their first fill after the surgery some 4 months or longer? Do the majority get it 6 weeks out? What do I look for when it is time for a fill? Volume of food I can eat? Losing weight?

Thanks guys...

Dottie

Hi Everybody,

Thanks guys...

Dottie

Hi Everybody,

Thanks guys...

Dottie

Dottie I have been to Tampa three times because of Kathy she is a wonderful person easy to talk to

and is cocernered over the care your given. her assistant Deborah is funny and takes reall good care to put you at ease

she also makes sure your able to tolerate fluids before you leave. I wouldn't hesitate to recomend them to anyone.

The cost is 299.00 first but you get your monies worth they weigh you on a specia machine, take all your history down.then

measure your body. That covers that plus the fluro and the fill. When you go back your cost is 155.00 if it is an

emergency unfill there is no charge. Very Very fair I went from my banding date with Dr. Ortize Oct 16 2006 to

December 10th 2006 for my first fill and looking back on it I really didn't need the fill because even without a fill I

had restriction. I have nothing but good things to say about OCC when doctors here would not touch me I self paid and

did my homework. I feel this was the right decision. There are doctors here in VA who DR. Ortize trained who still

would not touch me.

By the way Kathy studied under DR.Ortize so she knows just what she is doing. I'm not

sure I am doing this right and I hiope that I have answered a few of your concerns. Linda VA BCH

Hi Everybody,

Thanks guys...

Dottie

Dottie I have been to Tampa three times because of Kathy she is a wonderful person easy to talk to

and is cocernered over the care your given. her assistant Deborah is funny and takes reall good care to put you at ease

she also makes sure your able to tolerate fluids before you leave. I wouldn't hesitate to recomend them to anyone.

The cost is 299.00 first but you get your monies worth they weigh you on a specia machine, take all your history down.then

measure your body. That covers that plus the fluro and the fill. When you go back your cost is 155.00 if it is an

emergency unfill there is no charge. Very Very fair I went from my banding date with Dr. Ortize Oct 16 2006 to

December 10th 2006 for my first fill and looking back on it I really didn't need the fill because even without a fill I

had restriction. I have nothing but good things to say about OCC when doctors here would not touch me I self paid and

did my homework. I feel this was the right decision. There are doctors here in VA who DR. Ortize trained who still

would not touch me.

By the way Kathy studied under DR.Ortize so she knows just what she is doing. I'm not

sure I am doing this right and I hiope that I have answered a few of your concerns. Linda VA BCH

Hi Linda,

Thank you so much for your feed back... as I said, I have only heard good things about Kathy and I think it is a good idea that I start my fill life with her. I would love to go back to OCC...but, the trip is daunting. If only they were closer! Wishful thinking! So... since your surgery last October... you have had three fills? Have you had to have an unfill? Do you go on liquids again after the fill? Should I stay in Tampa until I try eating solids again to make sure all is well before I leave the area? When you go down to Tampa... how long do you stay? Thank you again for the info. I appreciate your help!

Dottie

I had my first fill (and unfill) in TJ and my second one there too. Had I not found an EXCELLENT Fill Centers USA filler, I would have gone back to TJ in a heartbeat. Ask around and make sure whomever you're looking at locally is good. TJ, besides the cost, was a full 48 hours away from home for me. Finding someone good that's only a 3 hour drive round trip has been a Godsend.

Best of luck!!

Hi Everybody,

Thanks guys...

Dottie

You heard right, Kathie is wonderful, but not reachable in an emergency. Read my posts in this section under "Fill Doctors in Florida, emergency service" regarding that situation under this grouping. It probably doesn't happen often, but after suffering all weekend, I still couldn't contact her on Monday. Just make sure you are looking at all sides. I was impressed with the facility where she is also, but I was a lot more impressed with the more modest facility in Tampa when she was reachable and the only answer I got from the staff in St. Pete was go to the emergency room, who will NOT unfill you.

• 5 months later...
You heard right, Kathie is wonderful, but not reachable in an emergency. Read my posts in this section under "Fill Doctors in Florida, emergency service" regarding that situation under this grouping. It probably doesn't happen often, but after suffering all weekend, I still couldn't contact her on Monday. Just make sure you are looking at all sides. I was impressed with the facility where she is also, but I was a lot more impressed with the more modest facility in Tampa when she was reachable and the only answer I got from the staff in St. Pete was go to the emergency room, who will NOT unfill you.

Hello,

My name is noelle I am debating if I should have my surgery in mexico with dr. ariel ortiz or that it here in orlando....I see you went to a fill center in tampa, do you have that information for me so that i can contact them...thank you so much and congratulations on your weight loss that is awesome!

my email address is nsaid1@aol.com

noelle

I couldn't find this post. Help?

Paula

BARB: I LIVE IN SARASOTA FLORIDA AND WILL BE DOING MY FILLS AT THE FILL CENTER SINCE ITS SO FAR TO TRAVEL BACK TO THE OCC- EVEN THOUGH I LOVED IT THERE! I AM ALREADY SCH. FOR MY FIRST FILL, BUT I THINK I CHOSE ST.PETE BC THEY HAVE FLOURO THERE FOR FREE. WHERE IS "KATHIE" AT SINCE YOU SAY SHE IS VERY GOOD AT WHAT SHE DOES. LET ME KNOW IF YOU LIKE ST PETE OR TAMPA BETTER--- OR IF YOUVE ONLY BEEN TO ONE OF THEM! THANKS A LOT!!!

MACKENZIE

• 2 months later...

So, is Cathy/Kathy at both St. Pete and Tampa?