Sscuba Diving after Surgery

Hi Everybody,

I know I have asked this question months ago....but, here it is again. Have any of your had any problems with scuba diving after the lapband surgery? How long did you wait before going diving? I work as a scuba instructor in the Cayman Islands and have taken 8 weeks off to have the surgery with Dr. Ortiz. My surgery was two weeks ago and I am feeling fine. I return to work on Oct 20. I have just received an email from my boss in the Caymans about an article that says Adjustable banded gastrony patients must wait a year or longer before diving again. Now he is asking me for a note saying that I am okay to return to work. Not like I don't have a trillon other things on my mind right now... to have to worry about my job.

Any divers out there? Help!

Dottie

Hi Everybody,

I know I have asked this question months ago....but, here it is again. Have any of your had any problems with scuba diving after the lapband surgery? How long did you wait before going diving? I work as a scuba instructor in the Cayman Islands and have taken 8 weeks off to have the surgery with Dr. Ortiz. My surgery was two weeks ago and I am feeling fine. I return to work on Oct 20. I have just received an email from my boss in the Caymans about an article that says Adjustable banded gastrony patients must wait a year or longer before diving again. Now he is asking me for a note saying that I am okay to return to work. Not like I don't have a trillon other things on my mind right now... to have to worry about my job.

Dottie

Okay, I called and talked to PADI about their article about diving after bariatric surgery... they said follow the advice of your physician. I called DAN (Diver's Alert Network) and asked them about wating a year or longer before diving... and they said that the article is written mainly about gastric bypass surgery and about patients that have other underlying health problems. And that you should talk to your physician before diving. So I think I am good to go.... I am waiting to hear from Dr. Ortiz or Dr. Martinez about getting a note that says I am okay to scuba dive. My boss seems to be okay with a doctor's note and I hope not to have anymore problems about going back to work.

Wish me luck!

Dottie

Dottie,

I was banded about 1 1/2 yrs ago and am an avid diver. I live in Cancun and dive regularly, with no problems, whatsoever. Nearly 20 years of diving...I made sure there wouldn't be any problems before I had the surgery. So, get back to it!

Kris

• 2 weeks later...

Ditto to what Kris says. I was banded 4.5 years ago and have about 200 dives since then with no problems. I did clear it with my doctor, initially. Soon I will be in the Canary Islands, then the Galapagos islands. Loosing the weight ( 150 lbs ) has certainly made diving more enjoyable. I no longer have a weight belt that would sink the titanic.

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Everybody,

Dottie

I was just reading this thread and I have one thing to add. Make sure you eat a couple hours before going under or have a liquid meal, something that is not going to stick around.

When I went diving for the first time I had a quick little lunch and dove about 45 minutes later. I didn't have a huge problem but I did feel sick to my stomach. The next dive I went on I had one of those yogurt drinks and a protien shake and had no problems.

This is my experiance. It was more a point of comfort than anything else.

JC

I was wondering that too!

I have also heard somewhere that you have to wait a year. If I had to guess I would say that your stomach is more compressable than the saline filled band... I was worried that the pressure would affect the stomach and the band differently causing slippage, i think the longer you wait, the more tissue around the band, the less likely that will happen...

I would contact Inamed or the manufacturer of your band and ask them- and keep in touch and let me know what they say!!!

I was wondering that too!

I have also heard somewhere that you have to wait a year. If I had to guess I would say that your stomach is more compressable than the saline filled band... I was worried that the pressure would affect the stomach and the band differently causing slippage, i think the longer you wait, the more tissue around the band, the less likely that will happen...

I would contact Inamed or the manufacturer of your band and ask them- and keep in touch and let me know what they say!!!

I started diving again 5 months after my surgery, with no problems whatsoever. I think use common sense...if you are healed and available to exercise, the band isn't going to hold you back from heading down an atmosphere or two! (my opinion only...although I did get all this cleared with doctor before diving)...

• 2 years later...

I realise this is an old threat however I have some questions. I had my surgery on the 10th Dec and had a Doctors appointment today and he is telling my I should not dive below 12 meters or 40 ft. Is this true. I am going to TRUK and Guam this year and they are a hell of a lot deeper than that. So advice from other divers who have dived to deeper depths would be appreciated.

Steve

It should be like any surgery wait period. 6-10 weeks, more than likely (consult physician)...

Pressures involved in diving wouldn't cause any ill effects, once you're properly healed.

Thanks Trav, he is telling me that there maybe some air in the band and that it may cause a problem. I am of the opinion that altitude would be more of a problem than Scuba. Had the Op on 10th Dec so I should be ok to dive now and I am not going overseas until September so all should be good by then I would think.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Trav, he is telling me that there maybe some air in the band and that it may cause a problem. I am of the opinion that altitude would be more of a problem than Scuba. Had the Op on 10th Dec so I should be ok to dive now and I am not going overseas until September so all should be good by then I would think.

Cheers

Steve

Even if there *is* air in the band, remember that when you're diving, you're putting pressure on it, this will compress it, not expand it. The bigger risk is flying, and most of us fly when we go home. Usually there's not any air in a band (aside from *maybe* a tiny bubble if any).

This is a question for Dr. Ortiz or associates. Call OCC directly for the best advice. I live at 7,100 feet and don't have problems going to sea level. Would that be a similar situation?

I don't think it would be the same, the pressure from 7100 feet in less than the first 100 feet under water.

Steve