Surgery 12/14/07

So my surgery is scheduled in December and I am so excited! I have a question for all of you that have already had your surgery. Is there anything that I should absolutely bring with me or need to know? Like something that you wished you had brought or known but didn't. I appreciate any input, suggestions, warnings or advise!

Thanks!

You really don't need much. Electrical plug ins are the same as here at home, and the hotel is just like any other nice hotel in the States. My cell phone worked fine in the hotel, though I don't know if that would be true of everyone's. Bring comfortable clothing that is loose around the waist, plus something you can wear to a restaurant for your evening meals. You might want to bring some cash in tip denominations for valets and cabs if you want to adventure out. Most cab rides around Tijuana are $5.

Weather in December is usually in the 60's or thereabouts. You might want to pack a raincoat, as they can have stormy weather in December, although so far this year has been very dry in the Southwest. I brought a couple of books for the plane and for the evenings in the hotel. There is a pool at the hotel, but I don't think it is heated and would probably be too cold for swimming this time of year.

So my surgery is scheduled in December and I am so excited! I have a question for all of you that have already had your surgery. Is there anything that I should absolutely bring with me or need to know? Like something that you wished you had brought or known but didn't. I appreciate any input, suggestions, warnings or advise!

Thanks!

I think arriving in Tijuana with an great attitude and new outlook on yourself is the only thing you need to bring. I think the biggest thing I hear when I'm down at the OCC clinic or hanging around the lobby of the Lucerna with the new patients is,,,,, "Boy, I'm just so nervous about having this surgery, I'm I making a big mistake"??? Stuff like that. But when the newly banded people come back to the hotel, they all say "what a piece of cake" or "that wasn't anything like I imagined it was going to be" or "this was a great experience, everyone at the clinic was so helpful". Then I run into those that have been banded for 6 months to a year, 60, 70, 80 lbs lighter, maybe in town for a fill, They say stuff like "I wish I would have done this years ago" or "This was the smartest thing I've ever done" and the best one is, "I love my band". As far as material things to bring,,, Gas x strips can be helpful,, some extra bottles water in your suitcase,, just pack light, you really don't need much. PS, remember this too,,, you've picked the best place and best surgeons to have your surgery. So rest easy at night, your going to be all right!

Thanks!

My surgery is also scheduled in December as well (7th). I am totally excited to begin my new journey. I have been looking at this forum for over 8 months. I must say each and every person who has been so great on explaining their thoughts, concerns and their experiences has totally help me. I apreciate it all! Vhill, When I get back from surgery I will post anything that I would have done different. I'm a little nervous, but excited that I will get the help I need for sucessful & permanent weight loss. I do realize there will boundaries, and I will need help from other bandsters for advice.

Thanks!

I just got back!~

It was a beautiful place and everyone was so nice! What I didn't know, that I wished I had, was the fact that you do stay the first night in the hospital. Not a big deal, just that I wished i had known. The rooms are nice and you have your own which is nice. Expect to do some walking after the surgery. It really does help. I had very little problems. I didn't need anything special, but if you want to be extra prepared, the gas -x and liquid pain meds really helps. But then the doctor also gave a few pills on the way out to help with the swelling and pain. Enjoy the senery and TJ. Dr. Ortiz is a kick. Both doctors came in and visited before sugery. Good luck to you.

Shanny :-h

Thanks!

Hello my precious!!! I hope that your experience is as great as mine was :)

My advise is to change out of the paper under crackers as soon as you are able to get yourself out of bed. I hated wearing them!!

Also, I brought a variety of bouillon cubes with me to have once back at the hotel. Each room has a coffee pot and just used it for yummy broth meals :)

Good luck to you!!

Amber